Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name the world's top pipe organ builders of today in 2018.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name the world's top pipe organ builders of today in 2018.

Specifically in:

1. America
    2. Germany
    3. France
    4. Britain
    5. Holland

Is pipe organ building and pipe organ musicianship a dying craft in the 21st Century?

Are pipe organs now archaic and old-fashioned like freight trains with cabooses?

I'm sorry, you cannot preserve Bach and Couperin for the sake of posterity with electronic sound-making devices!
    Last edited by jonmyrlebailey; 11-17-2018, 07:17 AM.

Originally posted by jonmyrlebailey View Post
    Is pipe organ building and pipe organ musicianship a dying craft in the 21st Century?
    Yes & no.

Are pipe organs now archaic and old-fashioned like freight trains with cabooses?
    No.

You fail to differentiate between good pipe organ building and good organ musicianship in your question. Unfortunately, the mediocre and mundane versions of the above will be far more prevalent and more widely heard than those of notable quality.

I'm sorry, you cannot preserve Bach and Couperin for the sake of posterity with electronic sound-making devices!
    Well, at least we know where you stand.;-)

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

OK, are there any GOOD new pipe organs NOW being built and WHO is building them and WHERE?

Are there any GOOD organists NOW and WHO are they and WHERE are they?

I use E. Power Biggs and Anthony Newman as the Gold Standard in organ musicianship.

Good = worthy of the complete works of Johann Sebastian Bach and Louis Couperin as well the best of Romantic Period organ music.
      Last edited by jonmyrlebailey; 11-17-2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I certainly can't name all the good pipe organ builders currently in business, but there are plenty. Nor can I name all the good organists alive and playing today, but there are plenty.

Suggest you subscribe to "The Diapason" and "The American Organist". Both have news on new instruments, and they advertise organists available for concert engagements.

Comment

As long as I have my E Power Biggs, Anthony Newman and Davitt Moroney records, my classical music ears are in good hands (and feet) and my pipe dreams will always come true.

We are no longer a society that has an appreciation of all the finer things in life. The physics theory on how the Voix Celeste stop works is far more fascinating than the latest Justin Bieber MP3 to me. The wavering tone as of the voices of singing angels owes thanks to both the beat phenomenon and Aristide Cavaillé-Coll and not a motorized Leslie speaker.

The word HOLLAND printed in gold letters on the console of the 1958 Flentrop organ at Harvard University does more for my soul than hip-hop could ever dream of doing.

Comment

Considering the organ music and organ craftsmanship has been added to the UNESCO's list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity and that there are still around 400 companies in Germany repairing and building new organs, I wouldn't want say that we're talking about a "dying" trade. However, of course, like many traditional crafts, organ building is seen as ancient by some, and in many places, digital organs with speakers replace the traditional pipe organ.
            On the other hand, new instruments are made and played: at the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg (https://www.elbphilharmonie.de/en/press/organ), at the "concert church" of Neubrandenburg (https://www.konzertkirche-nb.de/orgel/) and at the church of St. Martin in Kassel (https://www.musik-martinskirche.de/Orgel/Das-Instrument), just to name a few.

Yes, it seems to be hard nowadays to get younger players excited for the organ, but it still happens, and I'm optimistic that we will still have organists in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by andijah View Post
              . . . Yes, it seems to be hard nowadays to get younger players excited for the organ, but it still happens, and I'm optimistic that we will still have organists in a few years.
              Our local AGO chapter sponsors a Pedal, Pipes & Pizza event each year just for interested kids. It affords them the opportunity to see, hear and actually play a pipe organ. I am hopeful that some young people will have enough interest to accept the challenge of being an organist.

I accepted that challenge when I was 13 and am still playing every weekend in church 57+ years later.

Comment

Pedal, Pipes & Pizza, what a great idea. I might borrow it one day - we only have a small organ in our church, but it has a pedal board and we also have a wonderful pizza place not far away :-)

Comment

Are there any GOOD organists NOW and WHO are they and WHERE are they?

I use E. Power Biggs and Anthony Newman as the Gold Standard in organ musicianship.

Good = worthy of the complete works of Johann Sebastian Bach and Louis Couperin as well the best of Romantic Period organ music.
                  Performing the complete works of Louis Couperin is a standard of quality? This statement is a joke and reveals more about the poster than should be admitted in public.

Comment

Originally posted by regeron View Post
                    Performing the complete works of Louis Couperin is a standard of quality? This statement is a joke and reveals more about the poster than should be admitted in public.
                    Indeed, I would have tought that François (Le Grand) was the one that was the "devout Roman Catholic Frenchman of the Baroque who wrote divine pieces for Christian functions" with his 2 organ messes. Anyway if it is about franch baroque organ music I prefer Marchand or Daquin.

Comment

I thought this thread was about organ builders....

I'm far from an expert, but I think Fisk would rank up there in American builders.

David

Comment

You're right, David, this was the first question. In post #3 the question of players was added by the thread starter. However, it's hard to discuss two different topics in one thread without getting too confused.

Comment

Paul Fritts in Tacoma, Washington is also very well thought of here in America.

Comment

I heard a 20 rank, 2 manual Fritts organ for its dedication concert--a wonderful sounding instrument. One of the two best sounding organs I have ever heard in person--the other was an Allen Digital Theatre Organ. Who would have thought?

Comment

My church looked at both Fisk and Fritts when we were in the market for an instrument for the new building, but their prices were higher (and wait list too long) than we wanted. We eventually settled for Orgelbau Johannes Klais in Bonn, Germany--they made us a fine offer and we're very pleased with what they built for us.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X