X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to hear Moller house organ!

Hello,

I recently attended an organ concert at a very lovely church with a really nice 3 manual 59 rank Austin pipe organ. Sounded awesome! Anyway, during intermission I got talking with a nice older fellow in front of me. Well, we got talking about the whole digital vs. pipes debate, and we are both strongly in favor of the real thing.

After hearing my interest in pipes, and my general depravity in exposure to them, he invited me to his house to play his 1930s 2 manual 9 rank Moller residence organ! I gladly accepted, looking forward to the experience. 9 ranks sounds pretty complete for a house organ. I have listened to many clips of NYCFarmboy's 6 rank, and thought it sounded very good.

Once the holiday is over, we'll line something up. He tells me he had the house literally built around the organ, with the swell coming out of the upper level, and the great and pedal on the lower level, more like European organs of the past.

He had a MIDI system setup so he can record and playback whatever people play on the organ, so he would like to record my playing to play at another time. He also says he has monthly organ recitals, and will likely invite me to play at them.

As it turns out, a friend of his that helped him install the organ, is tuning the Wanamaker organ! It's funny how connections can arise from a simple conversation. I'm excited, both at the prospect of playing this organ, and at hopefully establishing connections/networking to further my involvement with pipe organs- my true passion!

I plan on getting quite a few pictures, in the hope that maybe NYCFarmboy would be willing to host them on his website? Sadly I don't have a portable recording rig, so I won't be able to get any recordings of it. I'll keep in touch with you guys, letting you know how it turns out.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts or similar experiences any of you may have had with residence organs.

-Jon

Re: Going to hear Moller house organ!

A friend of mine has a three manual,43 rank Moller - it stands in a specially-constructed wing of the house. He bought the organ intact, and then proceeded to make a few changes and additions. The room is probably two and a half storeys tall, and the console is at the opposite end. Organists gather there a couple times per year.

I can count at least seven other friends/acquaintances who have pipe organs at home, but this oneis the only Moller.

Correction: I just thought of another friend who has an organ from a funeral chapel at home - I believe it is a Moller.

Comment

Soubase, isn't that a little strange, the whole funeral chapel at home thing?[^o)]

Comment

Let me rephrase that. [:D]

The organ now in his home,was froma funeral chapel.

Comment

Hey, I would be ecstatic to have ANY pipe organ in my house, regardless of where it came from!

-Jon

Comment

I'm surprised at how many pipe organs are still in funeral homes..I've seen at least 2 listed on ebay in the last few months. Seems to me that size of organ works well for a home, and the voicing is probably more realistic for a house/home.

Comment

Well I got to hear/play the organ tonight. It's a really nice installation for a house, using two levels. The swell is in the top, playing into an open balcony just above the console. The chamber itself is enclosed, with a wall built around the swell shades. It's a walk-in chamber.

The great is on the main level, with the same arrangement. It really looks professional. Was installed by a few of his friends, and tuned/voiced by a 20 year old guy I met tonight. He did a really good job, as the intonation is quite good, and I have a picky ear.

One thing of note is the 16' Bourdon: It really rumbles in a house. I liked the 16' Lieblich Gedeckt for pedal duty. It had a thick but not overbearing sound. He has a nice 8' Clarabelle, 8+4 Dulciana, 8' Geigen, 8' Trumpet, Unit Flute, 8+4 Diapason, and I can't remember the rest off hand.

At any rate, a very nice organ, with the classic 1930s thick, wooly sound. Worthy of note was no 2' on the great, just g-g couplers: 16', 4', and 8' unison off.

The tremulants (one per division) were nice, pretty subtle, but enjoyable. Really shook the reservoir inside though, I was surprised.

Next time I go back, I want to remember to bring my camera so I can get some pics for you guys.

We're going to set up a day that I can come back and help him out with the chime action. I'm really excited to get involved and meet other people excited about pipe organs. I'd really like to eventually apprentice with a pipe organ company. That would be swell. Or would be great?[A]

-Jon

Comment

Working...
              X