This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holtkamp "Martini" Organs

The discussion that led to Walter Holtkamp Sr building "Martini" orans was based on the fact that Arthur Poister announced his resignaion from Oberlin upon returning from sabattical.  This was a BIG "no-no" and  caused no end of "stir" at Oberlin.  Fenner Doulass' mother was quite ill from cancer and he had to spend a great deal of time on the East Coast for her. So, it was left up to Grigg to get the director of the concervaory (Dr, Frank Shaw) to either replace Arthur quickly or get a better instrument (or instruments) for Oberlin.

Trips were made to  Cleveland to hear Holtkamp instruments (one of the being the magnificent Skinner rebuild Walter had done ro the Art Museum) and then on to Canton Ohio to hear a few Schantz and Moller) instruments (John Schantz was, at the time -or had been recently), a piano major studying with Dr. Shaw.

Dr. Shaw came up wth $10,000 for a "trial" instrument.  That made possible the now famous Martini instrument that many of us played in Fenner's studio at old Warner Hall, now still used as a pactice instrument at Oberlin. It was a success, so $30,000 more was gathered that ultimately rebult that Roosevelt-turned Skinner, then turn Holtkamp that was installed in old Warner Concert Hall (pre-current conservatory). Can't buy them that cheap any more.  There is a Martinin for sale through The Organ Clearing House for $30,000.

Re: Holtkamp "Martini" Organs

Does anyone have any pictures of these "Martini" organs?

Comment

Yep and here it is
      it has a very interesting jeyboard "feel" designed by Walter Holtkamp.  He was a great engineer, amongst oher attributes
      wanna know more?
      email me

Comment

do not know why the picture did not downlaod
        if you want one, send me an e-mail
        Bill

Comment

This all got started with the forum about the origin of the Holtkamp studio organ known as the "Martini" organ. Then someone asked if anyone had a photo. So, I dug out my photos and have posted 7 to begin with. They were posted in a certain order to identify a progress of organ design "ideas" that came from the Holtkamp factory at the hands and and from the genbius that was Walter Holtkamp, Sr.

I had problems getting the Gallery program to keep these photos in order. The photos should be looked at in the following order: 1-Martini organ; 2-Roosevelt, Skinner, Holtkamp, Oberlin 1951; 3- Roosevelt-Skinner Holtkamp, Syracuse. 1950; 4-Holtkamp Oberlin 1954; 5-Holtkamp Texas Tech University; and 6-Flentrop, Oberlin. Then photo number 7 is whee it all began. Tyis is a photo of an EM Skinner organ that was built for the Ceveland Museum of Art in the early 20th century. The photo is of the instrument as rebuilt by Walter Holtkamp in 1944-45 or so.

This instrument was incredible. It sat high on a gallery in an all stone and brick garden court, with marble floor. The reverberation period awas at least 5 seconds. The best of Skinner was retained and Walter added a Positiv and new pipes for the remainder of the organ with a greatly lowered wind pressure. It became known as The American Classic organ. Too bad it no longer exists. Its replacement is, well, poor by comparison.

Comment

A little humor please: A $30,000 MARTINI???  Why that has to be the most expensive drink known - As *Pelvis Presley* once crooned "I'm all shook up".

<;-D

Comment

Your humor is well taken

The instrument for sale is being offered at www.organclearinghouse.com (The organ clearing House) I see they have a sale pending, too. Good for them and good for the buyer - the price is right in today's market. When Oberlin got the first one in 1948-49 it cost $10,000. The entire redo of the Roosevelt-Skinner-Holtkamp at "old" Warner Hall cost $30,000. How times have changed.

Take a look at my picture Gallery - I am having fun sharing it and hope you will have fun looking at it.

Comment

*Martini and Rossi on-the-rocks*

<:-D

Hic, Haec Hoc, Heck  (Heinlein).

Comment

Working...
                X