X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vercus
    replied
    Re: I might get to play pipes!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm actually in the process of modifying / expanding my resume to include more details of my experience and capabilities. I'm going to use it to apply to another church with an Austin pipe organ [:)]

They are looking for just an organist, where the other job wanted a Music Director. I think this will be better suited for me. Perhaps there is a reason for it all. The Washington failure got me to reexamine my resume and what I want to do with my life, perhaps giving me a better shot at getting this new job.

As always, I'll keep you guys updated!

-Jon

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I feel for you, Vercus. I was hoping you'd get the position, but it just didn't work out. Oh well, move on the bigger and greater things, and allow the parish to suffer with Yvonna. [:D] Sadly it is a case with several Churches that they require you to have a degree before they consider your in their organist position. What happens a lot of times is that you get an excellent Organist personally trained by an Organist Professor who loses a job to a guy who barely made it through with a Bachelor's in Music. While Bachelor's are always excellent (and a nice resume to go along with it), it's best that they listen to all of the applicants.

In your case, they're simply missing out on talent. Kinda' reminds me how Bach lost that one audition for a Church Organist position, eh? Always makes you wonder, "What were they thinking?"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Jon,

It's their loss not your's. Don't let them get you down. There are plenty of wonderful churches out there. Keep looking and stick with it.

Best of luck, ReedGuy

Leave a comment:

• Austin766
    replied

If you look at the thread "pipes vs. Electronics" and read towards the end, you'll have a good idea who Yvonna is. In a nutshell, Yvonna is a terrible, ficticious organist, who only plays the bottom octave of pedals, keeps her right foot planted firmly on the swell pedal (so it won't go anywhere) and just in general is a bad organist.

Leave a comment:

• Vercus
    replied

Curious, who is Yvonna? [:S]

Leave a comment:

• Austin766
    replied

OUch, man, I'm sure you'd have been much better than the pianist, I happen to agree with those here who said it was probably because they didn't want to pay anyone to play, so now they're stuck with someone worse than Yvonna.

Leave a comment:

• radagast
    replied

[quote user="Vercus"]

Well, it looks like I won't get the opportunity at a fair interview / audition. The pastor just called and told me the committee elected to disqualify me on the basis of my resume alone, without giving me a chance to show what I can do. I am the type of person whose abilities can't very well be summed up on a sheet of paper, it's much better to see me in action.

Then again, isn't that true of any musician? Apparently Washington UMC doesn't think so. Instead, their beautiful instrument will be haphazardly played by a volunteer piano player whose only way of playing it is to push the crescendo pedal until notes sound, and play it like a piano with no pedals.

Tough on them.

Maybe I'll move to Massachusetts and see if I can apprentice with C.B. Fisk, I here they're looking for apprentices. I'm starting to get sick of the hypocracy of the church.

-Jon

[/quote]

This sounds suspicious. It sounds to me like they decided they didn't want to pay anyone to play it. Dynamics all done with the crescendo pedal? Wow. Why does this church even HAVE a pipe organ?

Leave a comment:

• radagast
    replied

[quote user="Vercus"]

Here's some pictures

I welcome all comments!

Thanks,

Jon

[/quote]

The one picture showing the stops is interesting. They look like lighted rocker tabs on some digital organs.

Leave a comment:

• davidecasteel
    replied

Sorry to hear that, Jon! Keep looking.

David

Leave a comment:

• Menschenstimme
    replied

Hi Jon,

If I am reading your last post correctly, I suspect that you were disqualified more on the basis of not being a volunteer. Ohwell, it sounds like they will get what they pay for. Good grief! What a waste of a decent organ!! [li]

Hope you are able to do something with Fisk. What was that Joseph Campbell used to say? "Follow your bliss."

Good luck!

[;)]

Leave a comment:

• FrenchHorn8
    replied

Aw, bummer Jon. That's not fair.  Working for C.B. Fisk would be much more fun than just playing the organ!  Are you seriously going to try for that?

Leave a comment:

• Vercus
    replied

Well, it looks like I won't get the opportunity at a fair interview / audition. The pastor just called and told me the committee elected to disqualify me on the basis of my resume alone, without giving me a chance to show what I can do. I am the type of person whose abilities can't very well be summed up on a sheet of paper, it's much better to see me in action.

Then again, isn't that true of any musician? Apparently Washington UMC doesn't think so. Instead, their beautiful instrument will be haphazardly played by a volunteer piano player whose only way of playing it is to push the crescendo pedal until notes sound, and play it like a piano with no pedals.

Tough on them.

Maybe I'll move to Massachusetts and see if I can apprentice with C.B. Fisk, I here they're looking for apprentices. I'm starting to get sick of the hypocracy of the church.

-Jon

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

First of all, congratulations on this opportunity. I hope you get it!

If I may suggest make your organ piece something you would play as a postlude. Pick something you know very well and can play at the drop of a hat. If it sounds like a show piece even better, but if not don't worry about it. For variety, see if you can sneak a small piece that features the more gentle and peaceful aspects of the organ. In other words, something festive and something soft and beautiful. If you have a postlude that can fill the bill for both and you feel comfortable with it, go for it!

I'd only suggest going for a hymn if you intend to play with it. In other words improvise on it, modulate it, feature the different sounds of the organ, etc. that sort of thing. But even then, I think I'd be more inclined for the festive postlude. Don't blast them to kingdom come, but give them a good rush!

With respect to choirs, be as postive as you can be. They want to know if you are a good fit for them. This is also a way to find out if you think they are a good fit for you. Pick an anthem you are comfortable with. Go through it at home, mark it up if you have to with pencil marks and think about what it is you want them to do with it and write a plan on how you are going to teach it. Don't pick something dead easy or difficult. Pick something that requires a wee bit of effort so that they havea feelingof accomplishment when working with you. You are the leader, but at the same time be flexible and open to their suggestions. Even if you are nervous (which is natural)try not to show it. Just plan as much as you can in advance. Walk in there with a plan as to what you want to do and how you will do it. Choirs also ike a bit of humor too. If appropriate, toss in a bit of humor to break the ice. Find out how much time you have with the choir. Choir members appreciate a director who is punctual, prepared, and makes good use of their time, so be sure to bring a watch!

If you have time, see if you can find out what pieces are normally in their repertoire. (This way you have an idea of what they can do and whether you should learn more towards traditional, non-traditional, or a mix).

Wishing you all the best and think positively! Go get em! [:D]

Cheers, ReedGuy

Leave a comment:

• back52887
    replied

The facade is definitely from the 1890-1910 era, but the stoplist -both the names of the ranks and the abundance of upperwork -suggests an almost total rebuild in the'60s-70s.

There will be a temptation to showoff with a lot of fast flourishes andpassages onGrand Jeubut also give them soft and beautiful wherever you can. We all love to play on full organ but the audience gets punchy after we runit for too long![:@]

Lee

Leave a comment:

• Vercus
    replied

Yeah, I do wish the Diapasons were separate ranks. Given the overall scale of the organ, I would have thoguht they were. I would certainly be useful when the Fourniture IV is pulled out, which dominates all. Come to think of it, I've never had the privilege of playing an organ with a full diapason chorus, which is sad. Oh well, my life isn't over yet.

-Jon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X