This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Metropolitan Art Space Organ

Does anyone know anything about this organ? From what I can understand of the translation of the paragraph I found on it, it actually has two facades? What on earth?

Re: Tokyo Metropolitan Art Space Organ

I don't know anything about this specific organ, but multiple facades are not that uncommon--a lot of cathedral organs are designed to be viewed from more than one side. Just a few days ago, I was in the York Minster in York, England--the organ there could be said to have 4 facades, because all 4 sides are faced with beautiful painted pipes. Organs mounted atop the Choir/Nave screens often look almost the same from both sides.

David

Comment

David,

No, this is more than just an organ with multiple sides. This seems to be almost 2 different organs. The description I have of the organ is:

The job description for building the organ for the Metropolitan Art Space Concert Hall in Tokyo, Japan was to build an organ on which organ music could be played authentically no matter which period it came from. As this is simply impossible in one single organ, just think of the different ways of tuning, Marc Garnier from France in 1987-1991 built three organs in one with a total of 184 ranks / 123 voices (+ 2 ext. + 1 transm.) and more than 9,000 pipes with a three-part case. Now, depending on which organ you need you can turn the right one to the front. Of course you need to disconnect and reconnect all pipes, the air system and the action, a job that obviously is extremely complicated. Maybe that is the reason why this technical masterpiece is still singular in the whole World.

Here's the pictures of the two different facades. Note that these are in the exact same space (search for images of the hall on Google).

Is this what it sounds like? Where the facades literally can be disconnected and turned around to be changed?

Comment

It sounds as though this is literally three individual organs sharing the same wind system and some parts of the action, but not at the same time. Only one organ at a time can be connected and played. I cannot begin to imagine how this was engineered. Someone could literally write a book about this. It boggles my mind to even begin to comprehend the complexity.

[:S][:|]

Comment

But I'm reading that correctly, right? I'm not sure how, or why anyone would want to do this, but it seems really interesting and I'd love to know more about how it works...

Maybe each part is on a giant turnable and the organ can just be "turned around"?

Comment

Here is a French website which has all the details, including a drawing of how the two façades are rotated:

http://perso.orange.fr/organ-au-logi...aire/Tokyo.htm The stoplist is included, so you won't want to miss that! [:)]

It seems this is actually four (!) organs (actually more like three and a half [;)]) disposed between two façades. Here are some details based on what I read:

As the photo shows, the organpresents three tower-like sections to the audience. Each of those sections contains two back-to-back cases; each of the three sections has its own motorized turntable that rotates either the modern or baroque façade into view. The centralcase also contains two consoles.

When the classical front is showing the organ functions as either athree manualDutch Renaissance or German Baroque organ. Eachis tuned to adifferent pitch,its own temperament, and each has its own windpressure and wind stabilization system. Both of these organs are selected by means of a lever at the console.

When the modern front is showing the organ is afive manual French Classic/Romantic organ, tuned in equal temperament at A440. Instead of a lever to select the Classic/Romantic,the divisions are specific to the type of literature: the Grand-orgue, Petit-orgue, and Pédale serve both styles; the Récit expressif is of course Romantic, and the Récit classique and Écho arein the Classic style.

The action for everything is mechanical, although an electric combination action seems to be planned (?) for the French organ.Some of the largest Pedal stops are against the back wall, and it seems only the 32' Principal is shared between the organs. When the organ is rotated there is a system which temporarily disconnects the Pedal action.

That's most of what I got from my translation - please feel free to correct me or fill in more details!

Comment

Heilige Sch----e &Sacre' M---e !!

[:|][<:o)]

Comment

I'm afraid I am speechless!

David

Comment

Working...
                X