This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In praise of small organs

Can you "stopper" a 4 foot pipe to get an 8 foot pitch maybe? Thanks!

Bingo!!

[;)][Y]

Comment

[quote user="Austin766"]You're right that there's very little on the
      site. I also find it strange that the front page of the site is in
      Latin.
      [/quote]

In
      all likelihood, the fellow is using
      DreamWeaver to create his site. When you use a DreamWeaver
      template, it puts the Latin text you see to show you where the text
      goes. You would need to highlight the text and type over it with
      your own content. It actually translates to something, but I've
      never taken
      the time to figure it out. It's Classical Latin, not Eccleastical
      Latin.

Hope that clears up the myster of the Latin site for a Dutch organ builder who writes in English.

Michael

Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Hope that clears up the myster of the Latin site for a Dutch organ builder who writes in English.
        You guys need to brush up your geography, he is located in Belgium, dutch people live in the Netherlands.

My take is that the site is under construction. But he is a busy man so I fear that the site is less important at the moment.

Comment

[quote user="Havoc"]
          Hope that clears up the myster of the
          Latin site for a Dutch organ builder who writes in English.
          You guys need to brush up your geography, he is located in Belgium, dutch people live in the Netherlands.

My take is that the site is under construction. But he is a busy man so I fear that the site is less important at the moment.
          [/quote]

Now,
          isn't that odd. I thought that perhaps the NL in the web address
          referred to the Netherlands (aka Holland), where they have the
          windmills, klomphen (sp?), and Dutch people.

That's the first
          time I've heard of NL standing for Belgium. I always thought that
          BE stood for that country, where BTW, they speak 3 different
          languages. Oh, well. I guess my exchange daughter from
          between Neijmegn (sp?) and Arnheim steered me wrong. Wait 'till I
          get my hands on her!!! If I ever see her again![;)]

Michael

Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

NL does indeed refer to Netherlands (which is where the website is hosted), however under the contact info for the builder he lists his address as:

Johan Deblieck
            Florimond de Pauwstraat 61
            1070 Brussel

Whis is in Belgium...

Comment

Nope, the site is www.deblieck.org. The /nl/ stands for the dutch part of it. Belgium has officially 3 languages: flemish (almost equal to dutch), french and german. So most sites do offer a dutch and french version and those use nl and fr to distinguish them. Most also offer an english version and some a german one (using en and de). If you go at the home page then you will see there are several choices of languages but the dutch one is the only one with content.

Now don't ask more how this silly country is organised because 80% of it's occupants don't understand either and 90% don't care anymore. We are now more than 2 months without a government. And honestly is goes just as fine without one, if not better...

Comment

Sorry, nothing personal and no offense intended: But the last few posts remind me of the old Monty Python routine where they were trying to think of a derogatory term for Belgians and they finally decided that "Belgians" would do just fine.

[;)][:$]

(If anyone actually finds this post offensive, please just advise me and I will edit it to wipe out the text.)

Comment

Hey, stop knocking Belguim! It's home of my favorite tennis player, and winner of the women's singles cup at US Open this year- Justine Henin! [:D]

-Jon

Comment

I don't mind at all. Never heard it. Maybe I'll find out soon, I bought the biography of the Python mob last friday.

Comment

[quote user="Havoc"]Nope, the site is www.deblieck.org. The /nl/ stands for the dutch part of it.[/quote]

You are right. I didn't lookas closely at the URL as I should have ... I made the mistake of checking the Organ Forum when I was already late for church. [:D]

I understand very well how to decode a website, at least when I'm paying attention! [:D] I was once a webmaster for aFortune-500 corporation.

And I do know about Belgium's three languages, seeing as how Ilive there when I am in Europe. [:)]

Comment

So you do SB32. But then, you are the exception that confirms the rule... [H]

Comment

Perhaps resurrecting a long-buried thread, but I've come to realise that there is a great beauty in small pipe organs.

For use in a chapel or small parish church, I thoroughly believe that a 5-rank Positive is the most that you will need:

8' Stopt Diapason/Gadeckt/Claribel Flute
                          4' Flute
                          4' Open Diapason (may have shared bass octave with the flute)
                          2-2/3' (Treble only)
                          2' Principal

All ranks divided into bass/treble registers. Single Manual perhaps of 54 notes.

If one wanted more oomph from such an instrument, a 25-note pedalboard, possibly with a 16' Bourdon (which can be extended from the 8' quite easily on a small instrument) would be sufficient.

For example:

Quiet Improvisations: 8' with 16' pedal (coupled) and 8' + 2-2/3' treble.
                          Accompanying Gregorian Chant: 8' Flute (maybe add 4' flute)
                          Congregational Hymns: 8' + 4' Open Diapason, perhaps adding 2' for a "full organ" effect.
                          All ranks drawn make a nice full chorus which would work nicely.

You have enough for all liturgical uses. You could later add an 8' Regal if you wanted, but not essential.

I play for many church services with 3 ranks only at 8' and 4' and manage well enough.
                          Martin Hartley
                          Choral Scholar at St Patrick's Cathedral, Parramatta, Australia
                          Student at Campion College, Australia
                          Assistant Organist at St Margaret Mary's Catholic Church, Merrylands, Australia

The Novice Organist: http://noviceorganist.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Working...
                          X