peterson controller vs saving to usb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

peterson controller vs saving to usb

Our organ got an upgrade to an ics-4000 some years back. Being the nosy-techy sort I wanted to give its features a whirl. I recorded a brief song to the internal disk and played it back. So far so good. When I tried copying out to usb though, it did not go so well.

The first stick I tried it just complained about disk error and told me to press back. I went back and tried a different, completely empty, stick. The second one, it seemed to work - told me 'please wait, copying files' but it just kept saying that. The recording I was saving was quite brief and after giving it several minutes I reset the organ - the stick was still entirely empty.

Is there some formatting or something I need to do to the usb stick to make it work, or any other clue someone might have? The instructions to do this operation are extremely simple, there isn't any opportunity to get it wrong.

Sometimes older systems have limitations on the file format or size of the USB device. At the time the software/firmware was written for these devices, no one anticipated format options or the huge changes in capacity to come in the future that might cause a malfunction in the code so nothing was written into the manuals to specify the USB device limitations.

I have the same problem with some older SD-card MIDI playback devices. You have to use a certain obscure formatting program to get the cards to be compatible with the device and cannot use cards over a specific size. The built-in Windows formatter does not work if you need to re-format your card.

Here's some information about formats for USB flash drives. As you can see, there are multiple choices and you may just have the wrong one for the Peterson system.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...or-usb-drives/

I would call Peterson tech support to get some guidance on this. They should be able to help.
    Last edited by AllenAnalog; 10-22-2019, 12:51 PM.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post

I would call Peterson tech support to get some guidance on this. They should be able to help.
      I tried that, they said 4gb or smaller and no other files on the drive, and some other useful things, so I'll give that a try.

Comment

I have run across the same problems with this system and it was due to the organist using a 16gb drive. Worked fine after using the smaller drives. Do not remember any format problems with system but Larry is spot on that there were some weird formats during the early years.

Michael

Comment

• Larrytow
          Larrytow commented
          Editing a comment
          The problem with the small capacity USB sticks is that they are getting hard to find. Any store will not have them that small on the shelves. I'm sure they can be found on the net, but perhaps not real much longer.

Wal-Mart and Big Lots have a variety of small capacity sticks for very little money.

Michael

Comment

• Larrytow
          Larrytow commented
          Editing a comment
          My local Wal-Mart never seems to have them. I'll have to check Big Lots. I never even considered them for that sort of thing. Thanks !
      Working...
      X