The old organ bench is so slippery that I can't even remain sitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old organ bench is so slippery that I can't even remain sitting

Not just one organ bench I have problems with.

The old organ benches are always so slippery for me, maybe because they are not 100% flat, or just simply more rounded on the edge, it's so slippery that I can't even make my ass remain on the bench, I feel that I am sitting on a soap, slipping forward and have a danger of collapsing on the pedalboard.

At first I thought it was because of my pants. Because I noticed it's more slippery when I wear tight pants.
    But now I noticed that no matter what I wear it could be very slippery.

Then I discovered that if my legs sweat a little bit, it would not have the problem. Although if I sweat too much then my butt would stick to the bench and I would have a hard time playing the far notes on pedal.
    However, now it is autumn and everything is so dry, the temperature goes down so I am not sweating at all, the slippery problem gets much worse.
    Now I found that the only way I can deal with this is to mop some water on the bench and let it wet my pants a little bit. So I would not fall off the bench.
    But that's crazy!! I have never heard anyone else doing this! The other organists thinks I am crazy too! I have no idea why only me is slipping off the bench.

I usually don't have problem with new organ bench especially the electric organ bench because they are so perfectly flat, or have a sharp edge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190605_091037.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	668900

Years ago when I was doing subbing I got a couple carpet tiles from the dollar store and cut them down to size, and took with me... they fit in a plastic "Walmart type" shopping bag when folded. In my case it was because the humid Virginia Beach summers made the benches sticky, because many churches only put the AC on before the worship service. The rubber backing kept them in place. Would that work for you?

Comment

• Sarah Weizhen
      Sarah Weizhen commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably! I will try one haha! Although your case seems to be exactly the opposite of mine. But I know what you mean, humid ans sticky could make it miserable just as well!

Not to be indelicate, Sarah, I suspect you don't weigh as much as I do.

I'm roughly 200 lbs. and don't have any issues sliding off the bench. However, when I was closer to 100 lbs., I had the same trouble staying on the bench. One of my students has put padding on the bench, which is tied to the bench. It keeps her from sliding at all.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• Sarah Weizhen
      Sarah Weizhen commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha I guess that the reason! I am a very small size person and weight about 100lbs even.

When the church ladies waxed every possible wooden surface years ago, they also waxed and polished the organ bench - I nearly slid off to the other side! I used steel wool to rough up the surface and remove the wax/polish. I issued a memo asking them, in the future, to wax anything except the organ bench. Present church doesn't clean up my "office" - I take care of it myself.

Comment

• Sarah Weizhen
      Sarah Weizhen commented
      Editing a comment
      That's funny haha

We had the problem that everyone got stuck on the old organ bench because it was so worn out. Now we have a new one and it's just wonderful.
    Is the bench you're using height adjustable, Sarah Weizhen Xu ?

Comment

• Sarah Weizhen
      Sarah Weizhen commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not height adjustable although some one put books underneath the bench legs. Although I don't think the bench is too high for me, I play the pedal just fine, and with other bench that has this problem, adjusting the height doesn't solve anything. The old organ bench has rounded edges, so that is why it's slippery because the bottom of the legs are on a round surface. New benches here are always straight and flat so I don't have problems.

Originally posted by Piperdane View Post
    When the church ladies waxed every possible wooden surface years ago, they also waxed and polished the organ bench - I nearly slid off to the other side! I used steel wool to rough up the surface and remove the wax/polish. I issued a memo asking them, in the future, to wax anything except the organ bench. Present church doesn't clean up my "office" - I take care of it myself.
    Our organist said somebody waxed the bench once. He made sure that didn't happen again :-D

Comment

Working...
    X