This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the organ console?

When I can finally get back to the church, is it safe to wipe down the whole console with clorox wipes? (Including stop-tabs, pedals, manuals, expression shoes, motor button.)
    Organs I play regularly:
    -Estey Opus 3103, II/8 (1938)
    -Schantz Opus 2145/2224, IV/86 (1998-2002)

For a list of other organs I've played, see my bio.

That depends-what sort of finish do the organ, keys, tabs, or pedals have?

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

• St Josaphat
      St Josaphat commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not entirely sure. I can't exactly contact the organ company though.

• Philip Powell
      Philip Powell commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, the trouble of having an organ without a dealer. You can usually tell by looking or feeling (if they're wood, ivory, plastic).

Generally, NO. Those will probably damage wood surfaces, and may be too harsh for other surfaces. Check your owners manual for cleaning recommendations.

Comment

• Philip Powell
      Philip Powell commented
      Editing a comment
      I use Clorox on the two wood consoles I play and it looks and feels fine.

Personally, I use *wiffer dry pads to clean my organs. If you need to clean the keys or stop tabs, I use a damp wash cloth (wrung out) to clean dirt off the keys. For particularly stubborn things like old dust/debris, I use my fingernail. Be careful of the pressure you use on any tabs or switches that are sensitive.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Do not use Clorox on tabs, keys, pedals, only on wood and expression shoes (although it would be better to use a real wood cleaner). The solution will not dry nicely and will leave a stick. If you get a rag, put hot water on it, ring it damp, clean pedals, keys, stops, etc. and immediately dry with a dry rag, no marks or stickiness will appear.
      "I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music." - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
      - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        The hot water works on my plastic keys but I wouldn't dare to try on nice wooden keys.

• Sarah Weizhen
        Sarah Weizhen commented
        Editing a comment
        myorgan there is probably grease everywhere.. depends on who has been using the organ. Some organist put basically everything on the console or bench, pills, water bottles, pen and pencils, card, books, LED light, shoes... All those things over the years could cause a lot of dirt or grease build up. Although in most cases it's probably not this dirty haha.

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Weizhen,

I have a special formula I use for a console that's beyond salvaging, but it's highly invasive, as well as flamable until it dries. The steel wool I use to apply it generally removes the crud buildup where the hands are normally placed. Other consoles, I use what I described above.

To be clear, everyone, NO, I DON'T RECOMMEND STEEL WOOL for cleaning a console!

Michael

My home and church organ's pedals need some cleaning. The tan color is turning blackish and they don't have a nice feel like they should. What would be the best way to clean them/get them back to new quality?
      "I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music." - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
      - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Murphy's Oil Soap?

Michael

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay, I try that. -Philip
    Working...
    X