This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Open air concert organ" - pipe organ on a truck

In another discussion the conversation meandered from choosing an instrument to driving a truck and the observation that organists and trucks seem to fit together nicely. I don't want to go down that road, but I remembered that there's an organ builder here in Germany who actually built a pipe organ on a small truck.
    You can rent it and have outdoor recitals.
    Here's the website, showing the organ: https://orgelbau-hoffmann.de/open-ai...-orgel-mieten/
    It's in German only (I guess the need to ship the whole thing far far away isn't that great), but when you scroll down a bit, the pictures speak for themselves.
    There's a pdf with technical information and a stop list, too: https://orgelbau-hoffmann.de/wp-cont...1327394385.pdf

Cameron C. put one of his organs on a truck and drove through Berlin a few weeks ago, but having real pipes on a truck is something special, I think. The only drawback here is that you can't play while the truck is moving, but for people who're both truck-lovers and organists, doing one thing after the other (drive-play-drive) isn't so bad either B-)

In case this organ-on-a-truck has already been introduced, I apologise for double-content and would kindly ask a moderator to move the thread. In case I already wrote about this organ, I can only blame my memory ;-)
    Last edited by andijah; 07-27-2020, 02:16 AM. Reason: edit: typos

Thanks for sharing this, Andijah. This is a bigger organ that I would have thought could have been built in that truck. I wonder how stable the tuning is after it has been transported. Has anyone on this forum heard this instrument? Are there recordings of it? It is an interesting concept.
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Originally posted by andijah View Post
    In another discussion the conversation meandered from choosing an instrument to driving a truck and the observation that organists and trucks seem to fit together nicely. I don't want to go down that road, but I remembered that there's an organ builder here in Germany who actually built a pipe organ on a small truck.
    [snip]
    In case this organ-on-a-truck has already been introduced, I apologise for double-content and would kindly ask a moderator to move the thread. In case I already wrote about this organ, I can only blame my memory ;-)
    Andrea,

I believe this organ has been mentioned before, but not with the information you have provided. From looking at the photos, I think they either need a taller truck or a shorter console so it can sit in front of the pipes while the organist plays.

Originally posted by andijah View Post
    It's in German only (I guess the need to ship the whole thing far far away isn't that great). . . .
    My guess is the truck wouldn't do very well driving across bodies of water.;-)

The biggest question I have is how long it takes to tune the organ after a move? I would imagine they have designed the pipes to either remain quite stable in relation to each other, or they have devised an easier method of tuning the organ after a move. Then, there's the temperature and the pitch of the pipes inside an enclosed trailer (unless it's climate controlled). I see they found a big tree!O:-)

Any other posts in the past have revolved around "portable pipe organs," where Reginald Foort's touring Möller was discussed from the past. There is another organ which has one or more ranks in travel cases that roll into a space. I believe that thread has video as well.

Here in the USA, I've thought of finding a trailer (I believe you call them Caravans) which has living space in the front, and a ramp door in the back where the organ could be stored and transported from place-to-place. With all the churches (& other spaces) getting rid of their organs, there may be a (small) demand for something like that in the future!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Organist Reginald Foort toured with a 27 rank, 30 ton Moller theatre pipe organ on trucks in 1938. The organ wasn't played on the trucks, but was unloaded and set up on stage at each venue.

There is also a discussion of "portable" pipe organs here:
      https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...ble-pipe-organ
      Click image for larger version  Name:	moller111.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.1 KB ID:	737138
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I have no idea how the pipes react to being moved, but as far as I know, one can't get the truck for self-driving anyway so I'd guess they would also bring someone who'd tune the organ accordingly once it has reached its destination.

Comment

That is pretty neat Andrea. I did not see a stoplist, or photos of the interior pipework on the site. But if it does not have many ( or any ) reed stops, it might be that the pipes are all cone tuned. That would likely make setting up after a trip fairly straightforward.
          Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

The stop list is in the pdf on page 2.
            Stops include Trompete (trumpet) and Posaune (trombone) and oboe.

Comment

Working...
            X