Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience using PTFE/Teflon to lube pallet pull-downs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience using PTFE/Teflon to lube pallet pull-downs?

When doing an initial test of some pallets on the 1875 Henry Erben I'm helping restore, many pallets were sluggish to return to closed position. I initially thought I'd have to replace pallet springs, but after doing a bit of research discovered that piano technicians have used PTFE/Teflon lubricants on action parts for many years, e.g. Protek CLP - Lubricant for piano action parts - Howard Piano Industries and https://youtu.be/0wTDfqMJbI8 It would seem important to lubricate without damaging felt or leather. Does anyone have experience dealing with this problem of sticky pallet pull-downs? Thanks.

I may be wrong, but while there’s nothing wrong with using Teflon lubricants, I would still think you have to releather the pallet valve and replace the spring. Unfortunately, a lubricant isn’t enough for a pipe organ action that has to be restored. The leather wears out, and the springs lose their force, and there’s nothing that can be done about that.

Comment

IIRC, Teflon lubricants leave a residue which may build up. I would almost prefer a water dispersant like WD-40. Then again, I'm no expert on the matter.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Working...
      X