Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Pipes Sounding on One Key

Hey everybody!

The organ I play at church (3 manual Moller) is having yet another problem. This really annoys me since we've had a member of a specific organ company come out 3 times in the last 3 months and yet we still seem to have problems.

This current problem is that I get two sounds with one note depressed. So, when I press the lowest G on the swell manual with the 8' Bourdon/Spitz Flute (Spitz Flute steals its bass from the Bourdon) I ALSO get F# sounding. I've climbed into the chamber and tested this; both pipes are receiving air. However, when I play F#, the G does not also sound.
    I've not been using the Bourdon/Spitz Flute but they are really important parts of our organ and I obviously want the instrument to be in top shape.

Any ideas on what's going on or how I can fix this? Thanks!!!

Philip
    “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
    Organs I Play:
    - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
    - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Possibly a problem with the key contacts or the keying relay system. I'd start by checking key contacts. Could be in the switching that does the borrowing, again, part of the relay.

Comment

You can possibly eliminate key contacts or relays as the source of the problem by coupling the stop in question to a a different manual. Does the problem exist when you play the coupled stop from the Great manual?
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the problem gets coupled.

So, this morning, a day after I removed the F# sharp pipe, I played around with the two stops and found that I don't get a hollow airy sound when depressing the F# key like you normally would if you removed a pipe. I get a soft fluty sound. This "new" sound is also on the G and that whole bass octave that was made up of the 8' Bourdon.
      Now I am very confused. 😵 Is the organ not reading the stop correctly? We have had memory issues with the organ recently, so maybe that's what's going on.
      “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
      - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

The organ was relocated a few years ago. Was it converted to solid-state at that time, and if so, which system was used?

Comment

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          I unfortunately don’t know the answer to that question.

• majestique
          majestique commented
          Editing a comment
          If you can find that out, we may be able to direct you to potential issues with the system. I have run into that specific problem before, it turned out to be a solid-state component, but I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase if what I ran into is irrelevant to the system you're working with. Any way to find out? Maybe even snap a photo or two of what is in the chambers so we can help identify it?
      Working...
      X