Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal Note Stuck

Hi there,

The organ at my church has a problem: with any stops drawn a note in the pedal (B) plays. I tried pulling the pedalboard in and out, check both "sides" of the contacts for unusual things but to no avail. Any ideas? I am thinking it might be an electronic problem.

Thanks!

Philip
    "I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music." - Johann Sebastian Bach
    Organs I Play:
    - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
    - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

If the problem persists with the pedal board removed, it is either an electrical issue or a chest problem. If it stops when you pull the pedals away from the console, then it must be a mechanical issue with the pedal itself.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• Philip Powell
      Philip Powell commented
      Editing a comment
      It continues with the pedal board out.

Not sure of the configuration of your instrument, but it could also be a stuck contact in the relay or switch stack.

Comment

It would be useful to have more information about the organ. Are the chests Pitman chests in which case it could be a stuck primary valve in the chamber. What kind of switching system does it have? Has it been updated to solid state, then who is the manufacturer? Either by using a meter or a small 12 V test light, test the pedal contact to see if it is shorted or stuck. It could be so many things. Time to start troubleshooting.

Comment

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the problem... I know minimal details of the organ.

I guess you would say the B is ciphering. Is it just one pipe that ciphers, or is it any B pipe? I sounds like it is any pipe, in which case if it's a tracker/mechanical action, the pallet valve might be stuck open, either because of mechanical interference, or because the spring is weak and needs to be replaced. For electropneumatic or direct electric, it could be the solenoid driven valve stuck open, either because of the solenoid, or a problem with the electrical system as mentioned.

Current: Allen 225 RTC, W. Bell reed organ, Lowrey TGS, Singer upright grand
      Former: Yamaha E3R
      https://www.exercisesincatholicmythology.com

Comment

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Just one B note (on any stop).

• Coenraads
        Coenraads commented
        Editing a comment
        Is this low B or high B? It matters because as I understand it Moller used pitman chests in which case the lower pedal octave pipes will be on their own offset chests. So low B would indicate an electrical switching problem. High B might well be a sticking primary valve problem. I'm no expert but a look in the chamber to see if these pipes that are sounding are all on the same chest or not.

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        The B below the second C of a 32 note pedalboard.

Well it seems the problem has gone away for now but who knows if it will act up again.
      "I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music." - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
      - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Though it might be a harbinger of things to come.

Michael

• Larason2
        Larason2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably the pallet valve I would think then. May very well need to be releathered.
    Working...
    X