No announcement yet.

Organ documentary: Heavenly Sounds - The Organ and its Fascinating Versatility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ documentary: Heavenly Sounds - The Organ and its Fascinating Versatility

Great 25 minute documentary on the organ, visiting various churches in Germany. Dialogue is all in English.

George

My instrument: Allen MDS-65 with a New Century Zimbelstern
    Former instruments (RIP): Allen ADC 420; Conn Minuet 542

Surprisingly more technical then expected.
    But this:
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbeck
      tbeck commented
      Editing a comment
      Sandstone, "die" which is feminine. Die Orgel.

• sandstone42
      sandstone42 commented
      Editing a comment
      Then it's perfectly understandable that the organ is the "Queen of Instruments" in Germany.

• gtc
      gtc commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess if Mozart were alive to day, the PC mob would have forced him to declare the organ to be the monarch of instruments.

Love it! O, that we could see this kind of thing on American TV!
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

At 16:12 ... "About 100 new church organs are built each year in Germany"

At 24:46 ... "It's noteworthy that Germany employs the most organ builders. Here almost every church, no matter how small, has an organ."

Well, that's encouraging to know.
      -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
      Leslie 147 #F7453.
      Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

• AllenAnalog
        AllenAnalog commented
        Editing a comment
        "About 100 new church organs are built each year in Germany"

Which makes it even more puzzling to me that Laukhuff went out of business.

• gtc
        gtc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes the Laukhuff closure, and the fact that it didn't find a buyer nor was it acquired by a competitor, is somewhat at odds with the reported healthy environment for organ builders in Germany.

Please don't take this as sour grapes, but the access German churches have to tax money (as far as I know), makes it a very different environment for pipe organ builders than in most countries.

Comment

Originally posted by j reimer View Post
        Please don't take this as sour grapes, but the access German churches have to tax money (as far as I know), makes it a very different environment for pipe organ builders than in most countries.
        Wow, I was unaware of the huge amount of money collected through the tax system in Germany and it certainly goes to explain why churches can afford new organs, etc. The origins of the system are explained in this article. It's kind of like the tithe system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax#Germany
        -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
        Leslie 147 #F7453.
        Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

That is interesting. I had known about the German taxation that included a tithe, but I wasn't aware of its extent!

It also puzzles me that Laukhauff closed its doors and wasn't bought out. I think though that the founder died, and since keyboard design and manufacture is a specialized skill, it's not that easy to keep doing the work, unless there are left enough employees that also have all the necessary skills. The only purpose of buying the company would have been to acquire the equipment, and most keyboard makers already have all they need. So mostly, they were probably happy to not have the competition any longer! For a non keyboard manufacturer to acquire the company is a risk, since it is a complicated skill that is not easy to acquire.

Current: Allen 225 RTC, W. Bell reed organ, Lowrey TGS, Singer upright grand
          Former: Yamaha E3R
          https://www.exercisesincatholicmythology.com

Comment

• AllenAnalog
            AllenAnalog commented
            Editing a comment
            But they made so much more than keyboards. In fact they made an incredible variety of organ parts. Their catalog was amazingly extensive..
        Working...
        X