This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which organ building firms would be your ultimate Olympic 1/2/3

Current firms or organ building companies of the past.

GOLD - Henry Willis

SILVER - Kenneth Tickell & Sons

BRONZE - J.W. Walker

Re: Which organ building firms would be your ultimate Olympic 1/2/3

For me it follows:

GOLD = Cavaille-Coll

SILVER = Henry Willis

BRONZE = Schoenstein

Comment

Fun topic!

Okay; I am on my way to a birthday party for my sister. I will limit my choices to current American builders. So just off the top of my head:

GOLD - Fisk

SILVER - Schantz

BRONZE - a tie between Casavant and Letourneau

My apologies to all you other excellent builders!

Comment

Boy, this is hard, I've played all sorts of good organs.

1) Holtkamp (preferrably in the style of Walter Holtkamp Sr.)

2) Austin

3) Tie betweenHradetzky and Rieger.

Comment

Gold - M.P. Moller (1931-1940)

Silver - E.M. Skinner

Bronze - J.W. Walker 

Comment

Just curious why walker, I know they sound quite convincing, butwhy electronic instead of pipe?

Comment

Sesquialtera16 kindly emailed me to let me know that I had gotten my Walkers mixed up. He said

"jw walker was in the uk

walker technical is in penn"

I wonder how often the two get confused and mixed up one for the other and how that ends up working out for J.W. Walker?

Comment

Platinum: Cavaille-Coll

Gold: E.M. Skinner

Silver: Casavant

Bronze: Silbermann

runner-up: Schoenstein

Comment

I'm afraid this topic is far too broad for a proper response! It ispointless to compare a Clicquot to a Sauer; ora Van Hagerbeer to a Harrison & Harrison.

Ido have Cavaillé-Coll and Skinner very high on my list since they they had so much to offer, both mechanically and tonally. Many of their instruments are icons to anyone who loves pipe organs.

Beyond these two builders it is an extraordinarilydifficult call.

I'm not sure that instruments being built todaycomparequite sowell to the greatest instruments ever built. [*-)]

But tastes differ.

Comment

I have to agree with Soubasse 32.This topic may be a fun conversation starter, but there's no way quantify it.

I never fail to be amused/depressed by organists who extol the virtues of a given organbuilder. Then when asked what it is that impressed them, I find that they have never played one, they've just heard good things from others.Or worse yet, "well, St Whosit in Gotham City purchased one so itmust be good."Hype and a good advertising company can make all the difference in perception.

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

I'm not sure that instruments being built todaycomparequite sowell to the greatest instruments ever built. [*-)]

[/quote]

Maybe not, but there are still some good ones being built. My favorite is Casavant. We have several good ones in our area, one two years old and the other about thirty five years old, and the sound quality seems consistent and is a good all-around sound. I have heard and playedothers, and they also have that good sound, with enough chiff for Baroque music, but not too much for Romantic, if you choose your stops carefully. Their build quality also seems pretty high. To me, the Casavant sound is better than Aeolian-Skinner as an all-purpose sound, although the last A-S's sound better to my ear than the ones from the Donald Harrison era..

Mike

My home organ is a Theatre III with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Comment

Interesting question:

Suppose the answer would be as follows:

Romantic:

1. Cavaille-Coll

2. Gonzalez

3. Henri Boisseau

Classical:

1. Clicquot

2. Silbermann

3. Schnitger

Comment

To me, the Casavant sound is better than Aeolian-Skinner as an all-purpose sound, although the last A-S's sound better to my ear than the ones from the Donald Harrison era..

The GDH organs were an evolutionary deal. By the time he died he was doing a fantastic job at St Thomas. The Gillett organs of the end era were refined in voicing and finishing. They are very different than Whiteford and GDH. Casavant has always made excellent organs irrespective of the tonal philosophy at the time.

Comment

Wow.....this is tough.

I guess for me there's nothing like the rich, lush sounds of a E.M. Skinner. It's organ done right. Oh, that high pressure Gamba and Gamba Celeste!!!

So number one.... E.M. Skinner, number two... Aeolian-Skinner and third place would be a tie between 3 or 4 companies..

Comment

1. W. A. Johnson

2. E & GG Hook (very close second)

3. Bradley Rule

Comment

Working...
                              X