Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cavaille-Coll Voicing - why does it tear my heart out?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavaille-Coll Voicing - why does it tear my heart out?

What is it about the voicing of Cavaille-Coll organs that they have such an emotional effect upon me?

Also, what is the correct pronounciation of Coll? I've always pronounced it "call" but at this summer's OHS convention I heard it pronounced "cole".

Re: Cavaille-Coll Voicing - why does it tear my heart out?

I say "cah-vye-yuh-cole" - whether that is correct or not remains to be seen.

[:S]

Comment

It's a tricky one, my French speaking wife comes to the rescue: cah-vah-yai is the best I can write it.

Comment

I don't have difficulty with the Cavaille part - it's the Coll that I differed with. Call versus Cole.

Comment

"Cole" has too much of the American-sounding "oh" dipthong, which turns into a sort of 'w' at the end.

"Call" is too flat with the "ah" sound.

The answer is... something in-between.

It is not just the vowel sound, but the "L" must be lightly articulated. American "L" sounds are much further back, swallowed.

One word that is very close in French - "bol" (meaning "bowl). Listen to how it is pronounced here:

bol

I'll give my thoughts on Cavaillé-Coll voicing momentarily. [8-|]

Comment

When I think of the more heart-rending sounds on a Cavaillé-Collorgan, I think primarily of the foundation stops. As Charles Fisk aptly describes it, there is a "cantabile whine" found in the foundations of a Cavaillé-Collorgan,due the treble-ascendent voicing and the particular way each stop works together to achieve an effect that is greater than its individual parts.

I can do no better than to provide a link to the late Stephen Bicknell's excellent article on the subject: Cavaillé-Coll's four fonds

It is good to remember that some of what we hear and love today was created by Cavaillé-Coll's top voicers - in particular Gabrieland FélixReinberg. They deserve a good deal of credit too...

Now for a little sample: [8-|] Frédéric Blanc plays Fleuryon the most excellent, but lesser-known Cavaillé-Coll at Notre-Dame d'Auteuil. More info on this recording.

Comment

Thank you for pointing me to that most interesting article. Voicing truly is a science.

And thank you to those who have commented on the pronunciation - having studied French I believe my pronunciation is the correct one and I agree, the French "L" is quite different from our North American pronunciation.

Comment

Aloha SB32,

Yes!  that *cantabile whine* - whew!  It gets me reaching for my hankie.  Bicknell's article does go to the heart of the matter with the four *Fonds*.

Comment

I won't try and give you the correct pronunciation personally, but there are several clips on YouTube of Daniel Roth describing the gem at S Sulpice, where I presume one will hear the definitive pronunciation,,,

He is also interviewed at S Ouen - again mentioning the master's name.

Regards, Paul :-)

Comment

[quote user="MarsVltor"] I won't try and give you the correct pronunciation personally, but there are several clips on YouTube of Daniel Roth describing the gem at S Sulpice, where I presume one will hear the definitive pronunciation[/quote]Hmm... If I'm not mistaken Daniel Roth has a pronounced Alsatian accent. [:D]

(If he is reading this post, I hope he knows I am teasing him!)

Sorry about the earlier link that I posted - it works sometimes, and sometimes it brings up a very confusing home page. Hereare twoother wav files: travaillécol(travaillé rhymes with "Cavaillé" and col rhymes with "Coll")

That would be considered definitive since it is spoken by a native Parisian for the purposes of documenting French pronunciation. [8-|]

Amusing that "Coll" is actually a Spanish name. [:)]

Comment

But of course - why didn't I think of Youtube? It has responses to most things in life. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

When I think of the more heart-rending sounds on a Cavaillé-Collorgan, I think primarily of the foundation stops. As Charles Fisk aptly describes it, there is a "cantabile whine" found in the foundations of a Cavaillé-Collorgan,due the treble-ascendent voicing and the particular way each stop works together to achieve an effect that is greater than its individual parts.

I can do no better than to provide a link to the late Stephen Bicknell's excellent article on the subject: Cavaillé-Coll's four fonds

It is good to remember that some of what we hear and love today was created by Cavaillé-Coll's top voicers - in particular Gabrieland FélixReinberg. They deserve a good deal of credit too...

Now for a little sample: [8-|] Frédéric Blanc plays Fleuryon the most excellent, but lesser-known Cavaillé-Coll at Notre-Dame d'Auteuil. More info on this recording.

[/quote]

My own impression of CC organs is that the sound, both individual stops and ensemble, frequently(not always) has an orchestral or symphonic quality to it. Agree or disagree?

Bill

Comment

Thanks for the recording Sir SB. I just followed up by ordering the 24 pieces! I hadn't been introduced to Fleury yet. Can't wait to try this out when our organ's finally back in! And yes, I think the combination of stops contributes to the distinctivness of the sound. Also, does 'aging' of the pipes add a little something?

Comment

Ludwig, where did you order them? I would like to order them as well!

Comment

http://www.di-arezzo.co.uk/accueil_c...d3f50be4921b23

The collection was reasonable, The shipping rather steep, But I thought for 24 pieces I'll bite. Hope at least 1/2 of them are useful!

Comment

Working...
                              X