Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frazee Organs: Does Anyone Know Anything About Them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frazee Organs: Does Anyone Know Anything About Them?

I have a Frazee pipe organ (13 ranks w/chimes), and am wondering if anyone knows anything about the company. I have more questions as well:

• How do these organs sound (my organ is in storage)?

• Are there particular systems to avoid when re-assembling the organ (i.e. scrap or keep the windchests, stop mechanism, etc.).

• What are the sources/characteristics of Frazee's pipe work? For example, I know the Gt. Open Diapason is haskelled for the lowest notes, and that the other diapason stop has fabric marks (like canvas) on the pipe. Is this desirable/something to avoid?

• Some of the Oboe and Vox Humana pipes need to be repaired/replaced. Are there sources for autentic materials?
    • [/list]

I'm entering this blind, so I'd appreciate any help I can get. The only other Frazee pipe organ I know of is in a Congregational church in Bar Harbor, Maine and the pipework was bastardized in the last 20 years by one of the organists, who is now in jail for sex crimes. Needless to say, I don't consider him a reliable source of information.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. I do not have access to the organ presently as it is snowed in at my other home. I will not have access until this summer.

Michael

Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Re: Frazee Organs: Does Anyone Know Anything About Them?

The one and only organ of that brand I ever played is in an RC church in Woodside Queens NYC. At that time I felt that it was lackluster in terms of voicing. For your intentions it may be just fine. Also that particular parish was well-seved in terms of the music program that they did have and the skill of the then organ player.

Comment

The company who's slogan was "Favorably Known for Frazee Tone"!

The quality of the original instrument would depend on it's vintage. Does the name plate just say "Frazee Organ Co." or is there another name included? I have had no direct involvement with one of their instruments so I can't comment to the mechanical nature of their instruments. The "fabric marks" on the Diapason pipes would not have been uncommon in that period. "linen lead" or common metal with "the tic side out" was the standard for many companies for many years. What you are seeing is the unplaned side of the metal. The "marks" are showing where the molten metal was pulled across the fabric covered casting table. Pipes made out of this type of metal will tend to have a dark and heavy tone.

Having replica reed parts made should not be a problem. Schopp, Eastern Organ Pipes, Trivoor Organ Supply can fix you right up

Comment

Thank you so much for responding. I cannot seem to find anyone who knows anything about the company. The notes about the linen lead and sources for reed partsare greatly appreciated. Somehow, I think I already knew that about the linen lead, but couldn't remember the details. I heard/played the organ once, and I do remember it sounding "tubby," but that could also be because it was in an unheated attic (in Maine), and the pipes spoke through a hole in the wall at the top of the church. None were unenclosed. The strings also appear to be "pencil scaled" (I think that's the term), and are quite soft, but I won't know more until I get them on the chests with the proper wind supply.

Anyone know the inches of wind? Voicing improvements? I know some of the pipes are "nicked." I guess I'm inclined first to set the organ up "as is" and weight the reservoir until the pipes speak with the correct pitch/voicing/articulation, and then analyze what I want to do from there. I do remember that the instrument was unremarkable when I played it that one time, but then, notes were missing.

If thereare missing pipes, I know a fellow where the organ is who builds flue pipes for Taylor & Boody, and I'm sure I could convince him to make a few missing pipes for me if I can provide him extant examples.

Thanks again for your comments, and I look forward to hearing more.

Michael

P.S. The nameplate looks like this:

Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Comment

Working...
          X