"Mighty Mo" Concert from Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mighty Mo" Concert from Atlanta

For all you theater organ buffs (and everyone else who wants to see and hear an artist have a good time on a marvelous instrument) here's a link to a concert that just got published to yo_t_be yesterday. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyPo...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Admin; 08-31-2020, 04:10 PM. Reason: Embedded video

Thanks for letting us know about this. It's a great program by Ken Double.

The sound of Mighty Mo in its original home, the Atlanta Fox, is an unforgettable experience. We are so lucky that Joe Patten and a dedicated group of people fought against the demolition of this amazing testament to movie palace excess. Sadly, other cities were not so lucky, witness the destruction of the Fox in San Francisco. Anyone visiting Atlanta after things open up again should take the opportunity to see the Fox and hear this organ.

For more information on the refurbishment of the original Moller console and this temporary console (I wonder where it will end up?) check out this article:

https://www.ajc.com/entertainment/mu...pBPmKprbO46II/

Purists may not like the change to an electronic relay system and the addition of new features that modern technology brings. In fact there was a campaign to prevent this from happening. But the future maintenance of an electro-pneumatic system inside the console and in a complex relay, along with a cable with thousands of wires connecting to a console on a lift made it clear that going to a more modern system was in the best long-term interests of the organ.
    Last edited by AllenAnalog; 08-30-2020, 07:29 PM.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post
      Purists may not like the change to an electronic relay system and the addition of new features that modern technology brings. In fact there was a campaign to prevent this from happening. But the future maintenance of an electro-pneumatic system inside the console and in a complex relay, along with a cable with thousands of wires connecting to a console on a lift made it clear that going to a more modern system was in the best long-term interests of the organ.
      Larry,

Not only the long-term interests of the organ, but also the future of the organ. I would imagine an electro-pneumatic system and relays would have been quite expensive to maintain, but it would have also been quite expensive to diagnose, whereas computers can often self-diagnose.

It's like cars–I stopped by the Dodge dealer to see if they could re-program a sliding door on my 2005 Caravan. NONE of the service personnel knew it could be done or how. However, they're willing to charge me nearly $100/hr. to diagnose the issue before charging for a repair! Old technology may be authentic, but it can be so expensive it becomes impossible to keep the device (organ or car) if we need to keep it authentic.

Do you know what type of lift is there? I once performed on a screw-type lift, and I couldn't hear the organ until my head was outside the box containing the lift. Fortunately, the audience couldn't hear the lift. Hydraulic lifts are much more quiet.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Michael, there is a short video of a back-stage tour of the theater which shows the original screw lift for the orchestra pit. I presume the console lift has the same type of mechanism.

https://youtu.be/5EfwdwHcbG8?t=104
        Last edited by Admin; 08-31-2020, 04:11 PM. Reason: embedded video
        Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Working...
        X