X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinker
    replied
    Re: TPO Open console and concert April 4

Well my brother and I got up to the open console that was held today on the Arlington Theatre's Robert-Morton "Wonder Morton". After our hosts gave us a great personal tour of every nook and cranny that held organ pipes, percussions, projection and blower room in this wonderful old atmospheric theatre we both took a turn at the console with a few of our favorite tunes.
    </p>

We were really lucky today since the stage was clear and we were able to raise the console up to full stage height. It was a small but enthusiastic crowd and we both had an absolutely wonderful time playing the organ. There was a bit of uncertainty about how the pistons were set up so we all resorted to hand registration. Talk about an almost bewildering array of tabs covering the four manuals and pedals. We stuck to the tried and true basic registrations and if I do say so it all sounded sooooo good in that theatre. The acoustics are outstanding and coupled with that fine organ it really made the tunes sound great. I can't wait to get back up there and get more experience with the varieties of registrations on that instrument. I'm officially hooked on these open console days [:D]</p>

</p>

</p>

Leave a comment:

• jimmywilliams
    replied

Hi Gary. </P>

Yes I played the organ - this is a 3-manual Wurlitzer -only the piano was digital; the rest was all real pipes/traps/percussion/etc. I've been to a few of these events and in each case there was always someone there togive a little introduction to the instrument in case the player was not familiar with it. Usually you can just mention what type of song you want to play,and one of the appropriate pre-set pistons will be all you need.</P>

I didn't have a chance to go up into the chambers this time around. Here I am at the console. Sure, you should go ahead and play. Have fun!</P>

</P>

Leave a comment:

• Tinker
    replied

Hi Jimmy,</p>

How was the open console portion of the day? Did you take a turn at the console? If so, how did it go?</p>

I may be trekking up to an open console and chamber crawl over the weekend. It's one of the big "Wonder Morton" instruments which appears a little intimidating compared to what I'm used to playing with but if the mood seems right I may try to pick a piston registration that looks "safe" and give it a whirl. In the old organ pizza parlor days I can recall some folks having some rough open console moments primarily due to not being familiar with how to use the resources available on that particular instrument. Sorta like Keyboard Karaoke :^) </p>

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.. right?</p>

</p>

</p>

Leave a comment:

• jimmywilliams
    started a topic TPO Open console and concert April 4

TPO Open console and concert April 4

I figured I would pass this along ifany theater pipe organ enthusiastswho live within driving distance of Middletown, NYare interested. Copied from the New York Theater Organ Society website http://www.nytos.org/. John Baratta is my organ teacher. My wife and I will be attending - maybe I'll see some of you there!</P>
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=defaultbold>Theatre Organ Mini Concert
    -- Your favorite popular standards and show tunes--
    performed by</BLOCKQUOTE>

<SPAN class=Headingbold><FONT face=Verdana size=5>Theatre Organist
    John Baratta</FONT>
    </SPAN></P>
    <P class=Headingbold>Plus</P>
    <P class=Headingbold>Informal “Open Console” at the Paramount
    Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Organ</P>
    <P class=Headingbold>Saturday, April 4, 2009
    Middletown Paramount Theatre
    17 South St. –Middletown, NY
    </P>
    <P class=Headingbold>Concert time 2:00 p.m.</P>
    <P class=Headingbold>“Open Console” from 11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.</P>

New York Theatre Organ Society members and any
    keyboard students or players are invited to take a turn playing the Paramount Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Organ during open console.</P>

Free admission—free refreshments</P>

For information call the Paramount at 845-346-4195
    or the New York Theatre Organ Society 845-457-5393</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
Working...
X