No announcement yet.

Use of the accordion as "portable organ"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-Topic posts related to Music Videos were moved here: https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...7-music-videos

Michael, Moderator
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

I just join this group so I'm not quite sure if anyone want you to respond to an older topic. But I'm not letting this one go.
      I'm an organist by blood or genes. But, I started studying accordion at age 8.
      I have never considered an accordion anything but an organ. It was always an organ to me.
      I had a couple of great Italian boxes full size and had lessons where it was just classical accordion. NOT ANKOVIC
      I call him ankovic cause he caused a lot of angst

Anyway, besides classical (when I was older) I played in lots of clubs and solo jobs. But my accordion had 4 microphones in it. 2 on the base and 2 on the keyboard side with a guitar jack at the very bottom. Seems like lots of guys did back then.

I plugged this into a Magnavox amp that must have had 4 of those 88's in the output side. With the bass and treble controls on this set up, you had no recourse except to call it an ORGAN.

Today, ha ha.
      Just go to YouTube and watch that stuff about and with accordions and you will get a lesson every time.Those young kids and young fellows (and women too) are fantastic. I'm a Bach organ studier (hows that for new words) and I can't believe my eyes or ears.

They have everything I've ever dreamed of for accordion. I would never have left accordion to go to organ if I knew midi would get into the accordion design. You can actually learn a great deal from these people by studying there YouTube performances. I have a whole list of accordion YouTube addresses that are lessons for playing even organ like myself. Look it up, you will be amazed
      YouTube - oove999's Channel
      And I don't play polkas either.
      I think it would be perfect a substitute in church. Bet they wouldn't know it if they couldn't see you.
      Dave

Comment

I have never considered an accordion anything but an organ.
        The Cordovox, an accordion with a Leslie...

Click image for larger version

Name:	efqztbhsepqlani3qzj4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	670437

Name:	16212706_1_x.jpg?auto=webp&format=pjpg&version=1&width=512.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	670438

Comment

• KC9UDX
          KC9UDX commented
          Editing a comment
          Heh I took too long to type my post, you beat me to it!

Polkas are how I got into accordion. But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've never actually played a polka on one. Not yet anyway. I keep meaning to; my son is absolutely obsessed with the EIO Polka.

​​When I was a teenager and everyone was into "heavy metal," which I detested, I met a guy who was really into "heavy metal," but also liked polka, as his father, "Goober" had a polka band. I thought polka was silly and ridiculous. He would always say "no one ever killed themselves after listening to a polka!" It turns out he was right. Polka is a lot of good clean fun. I would play them on piano and electronic keyboard because that's what I played. But Goober had an accordion which his son would try to play polkas on. I found the accordion interesting (not only because of the incredible sound) probably just because of the challenge of Stradella bass. I played accordion for a few songs we wrote (polka influenced, but not polkas), and then I bought one and almost never actually played it (didn't play any music of any kind for well over a decade), but when I did, I played Bach.

Incidentally Dave, Goober also had a Cordovox, which I never got to see or hear (I ended up with the mouse infested Leslie from it), but I wonder if you've seen one of those.

I've never understood the hatred for "necroposting." I always associate people who hate that with people who hate old books. But in any case, any post about accordions is a good thing, and your post very much so. Thank you.

Matt

Comment

Being of Italian decent, accordion is in my genes. My parents bought me an accordion as my first instrument.
          It was fun to play.

I always listened to Lawrence Welk and Myron Floren was a weekly item.

A wunnerful-ah wunnerful...

Name:	Lawrence_welk_show_1969.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	670444

I was amazed that the instrument could be played and get all that music out of it.

Same for the organ. Two hands and two feet.

I was also into rock so I'm proof that the two, polkas and rock/metal can co-exist.
          It's just music.

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto, Goff.

Michael

• KC9UDX
            KC9UDX commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not of Italian decent, but apparently accordion is in my blood as well. I only first learnt this a few years ago but apparently my grandmother was quite an accordionist. Doubly shocking is that she was born in Milwaukee. I had thought I was the only one in my entire family history.

Well, kc9udx, yep me too. I think we were supposed to play the accordion at birth. I started at 8 but that was before you were born.
          I loved it. However, I was always glad I was classically trained where now with organ the classical stuff is great to learn and play for people who love it. I can't tell you without a calculator how many times I played Torna a Sorrento.

Hey yea! Goff, when I was 13 or 14 my dad, a great musician, took me to a music store where they had Cordovox's.and I played it. You know I didn't like it. If remember correctly, it didn't have any bass buttons; not 120 and not 12. lol

I watched Lawrence Welk and before that Larry Ferrari.
          I really did play polka's (beer barrel and etc, etc) when I was young and playing all those jobs; weddings and parties and even clubs. My dad said he didn't care what I thought and that would play polka's when required, periodI think most professional greats at that time when I was a boy, were trying to raise the level of acceptance of the accordion as a professional instrument and viable in any venue.

That's where Al A. and others too, didn't help our cause at all.

Our trio always had about 500 songs lined up at any time. Most of which I was the lead of course on piano accordion that went through that 60lb Magovox guitar amp. What a sound.

I think it is and was then.

Goff, this is not the Cordovox I played as a kid. The 1 you show looks interesting and it has bass and I like it already.
          Dave.

Comment

Two great threads that taste great together....

https://youtu.be/eDFFUIGoBUc
            Home Organ: VPO Home-Brewed from a former Klann pipe organ console

Comment

Originally posted by DaveADC6500 View Post
              Well, kc9udx, yep me too. I think we were supposed to play the accordion at birth. I started at 8 but that was before you were born.
              I loved it. However, I was always glad I was classically trained where now with organ the classical stuff is great to learn and play for people who love it. I can't tell you without a calculator how many times I played Torna a Sorrento.

Hey yea! Goff, when I was 13 or 14 my dad, a great musician, took me to a music store where they had Cordovox's.and I played it. You know I didn't like it. If remember correctly, it didn't have any bass buttons; not 120 and not 12. lol

I watched Lawrence Welk and before that Larry Ferrari.
              I really did play polka's (beer barrel and etc, etc) when I was young and playing all those jobs; weddings and parties and even clubs. My dad said he didn't care what I thought and that would play polka's when required, periodI think most professional greats at that time when I was a boy, were trying to raise the level of acceptance of the accordion as a professional instrument and viable in any venue.

That's where Al A. and others too, didn't help our cause at all.

Our trio always had about 500 songs lined up at any time. Most of which I was the lead of course on piano accordion that went through that 60lb Magovox guitar amp. What a sound.

I think it is and was then.

Goff, this is not the Cordovox I played as a kid. The 1 you show looks interesting and it has bass and I like it already.
              Dave.

Guess we got caught in the accordion vortex Dave and we're not in Kansas anymore...

Cool Michael!

KC9UDX what a grand lady your grandmother was to play one!

Comment

Originally posted by lizny View Post
                Two great threads that taste great together....

https://youtu.be/eDFFUIGoBUc
                Lizny, what are those "buttons" called? Don't remember seeing one of those. What country made these?

Check out Alexander. If he'd played organ too?

Amazing dexterity, musicianship!
                Last edited by Goff; 11-13-2019, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goff View Post
                  KC9UDX what a grand lady your grandmother was to play one![/COLOR][/URL]
                  Yep. It's too bad I only ever saw her two or three times and never even knew she was an accordionist until three decades after her passing. But it is still great to know.

And the accordion in the video is a "chromatic accordion" as opposed to the "piano accordion". They're most common in the Eastern hemisphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Goff View Post
                    Lizny, what are those "buttons" called? Don't remember seeing one of those. What country made these?
                    Goff,

Your answer is discussed in this thread: https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...this-accordion. I'm not sure they were made by any country, rather certain companies made them and were located in various countries. Rather, the button accordion (as opposed to piano accordion) lends itself to certain styles of music.

Michael
                    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
                      And the accordion in the video is a "chromatic accordion" as opposed to the "piano accordion".
                      We call it "button accordion" and it comes in various shapes and forms, diatonic or chromatic.
                      The eastern European/Russian version is also called Bajan.

Comment

Originally posted by andijah View Post

We call it "button accordion" and it comes in various shapes and forms, diatonic or chromatic.
                        The eastern European/Russian version is also called Bajan.
                        Or Bayan, so English-speakers pronounce it right. πŸ™‚

I've seen French button accordions with seemingly random scales.

Comment

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
                          Or Bayan, so English-speakers pronounce it right. πŸ™‚
                          Erm. Yes. Of course

Comment

If it's played in an appropriate manor (like any instrument), I think the accordion would be a nice addition to hymns. In a conservative (very conservative) baptist church I attended 40 some years ago, the pastor's son played it quite well. In fact, he also played in several hymns for a recording "Reflections - 60 Songs of Devotion" by Eric Wyse.

Comment

Working...
                            X