Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
    Goff,

Your answer is discussed in this thread: https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...this-accordion. I'm not sure they were made by any country, rather certain companies made them and were located in various countries. Rather, the button accordion (as opposed to piano accordion) lends itself to certain styles of music.

Michael
    Michael thanks for the thread location and to you as well KC9UDX, ANDIJAH.

Makes me want to find one now to see if I can even play it!

The fact it is chromatic is really enticing to want to see what one can get out of it.
    Seeing Bach and Vivaldi played on it sounding like an orchestra is mind bending!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1200px-Jupiter_bayan_accordion.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	670626
    Learn something new every day!

Comment

A piano accordion can be played just as well; albeit probably more difficultly. I've no experience with that button layout but it seems to lend to easier playing.

I was pretty floored by the Janko Piano (check that out if you're not familiar with it) the first time I saw one. I'm too set in my ways to try to play one of those, or a button accordion. I struggle enough with Stradella!!

Speaking of the Janko Piano, I've always wondered if anyone had ever done that with an organ. Maybe someone here can answer that.

You might find a chromatic button accordion easy to find; I see them on the local Craigslist from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
        A piano accordion can be played just as well; albeit probably more difficultly. I've no experience with that button layout but it seems to lend to easier playing.

I was pretty floored by the Janko Piano (check that out if you're not familiar with it) the first time I saw one. I'm too set in my ways to try to play one of those, or a button accordion. I struggle enough with Stradella!!

Speaking of the Janko Piano, I've always wondered if anyone had ever done that with an organ. Maybe someone here can answer that.

You might find a chromatic button accordion easy to find; I see them on the local Craigslist from time to time.
        Boards like the Janko Piano are gaining in use for synthesis using microtonal and polychromatic music.

I posted these (below) on another thread to show that in the movie Close Encounters we were introduced to microtonal tones and music.

Note how the human A-440 synths were countered with ET's microtones.

A new frontier in hearing music.

Comment

Goff, Michael and KC9UDX,
          Now that's some accordion. Looks all midi'd already. Yummy. But alas, it would take a life time for me to reprogram myself to the buttons.

And Yea !! You guys are right on it. I've seen those new pianos with micro-tuning. Every wire has a slider on it. They're all at 1 end of course and they're aabout 5 inches of dork plastic with sliders that look just list the mixer brds. I've even listened to some of it. It's cool but I think it is past my brain.

Amazing stuff.
          I know since the accordion bass is arranged in 5ths, it was a tremendous help in learning about chords. I had an accordion once that when I leaned back in my practice chair, all 120 buttons would drop in. That one was not my best one.

I fell in love with an Excelsior. I did end up with a used one. That person didn't like to practice too much cause it was like new. But I'm sure you all know, you can use that thing several hours a day for 20 years and it still looks new. That was my baby!

The switch to organ was quite challenging. My left hand was so slow in site reading than my right. I originally thought the switch to chromatic would be easy, but not so. I had already played 14 or 15 years on the accordion.

Did any body ever play one of those accordions with the Bassetti bass on it? I never played it but have watched them. There's1 or 2 extra columns of bass buttons behind the diminished buttons.The guy I saw did a lot of solo stuff on it just like the keyboard.

You can sure say a lot about accordions. Don't need no stinking batteries and you can play all day and play soft if you had to.

Why do the organists on this list and else where have a listing under their name with the instuments they own or have owned and the accordionists don't?
          Dave

Comment

I'm down to one accordion, a simple two-register Patti Bros. antique which I'm very proud of because it was made in Milwaukee. I got a chuckle out of your 120 buttons falling in. I found an accordion in a second hand music shop once that was almost as bad. Press one button and seven or so random other buttons would fall in. Several random buttons would fall in whenever the bellows were opening.

I've seen people play the Bassetti (I think so, I've only heard it called "free bass", maybe Bassetti is the same or different? My memory is horrible). I've never played one, but I've always thought it must be easier to play that than the guys who manage to play sus4, augmenteds and other chords that there aren't discreet buttons for by combining say diminished and seventh for two different chords. Whilst I understand the theory, I can't grasp the playing. But then I'm so rusty that I really struggle with bass anyway on the rare occasions I get to play my accordion these days.

Dave, thank you for reviving this thread. This is fun.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by DaveADC6500 View Post
              Why do the organists on this list and else where have a listing under their name with the instuments they own or have owned and the accordionists don't?
              If I were to list all the instruments I own (accordions, recorders, percussion, guitar, flute, brass...) this list could easily get longer than my usual postings

Comment

• KC9UDX
                KC9UDX commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm I'll likely forget some
                Menzenhauer's 5 chord guitar zither
                Patti Bros. 2-register 120-bass Piano Accordion
                Jubeltöne 6 chord guitar zither
                Lowrey Lincolnwood SS
                Hammond Concorde 2107
                Yamaha PSR-41
                Korg DDD-1
                Roland MT-32
                Amiga 3000
                Japanese 1970s electric guitar
                Yamaha PSR-410
                Yamaha PSR-GX76
                Resonator guitar
                Volca Keys
                Volca Sample

I'm not even going to try to think about the ones I don't own anymore.

• myorgan
                myorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                That's quite a list, KC. Are you sure you have time for us?

Michael

• KC9UDX
                KC9UDX commented
                Editing a comment
                I can take "us" everywhere 😊

It's all that stuff that I just can't make time for. I can't even fathom how much of it will still work next time I can spend 5 minutes with it. The Lowrey is down for the count; it let out a bunch of magic smoke the last time I turned it on. The MT-32 really doesn't like to be turned off for extended periods. The electric guitar needs to be gutted and rewired (it buzzes). The zithers will need tuning, and by the time I'm done tuning them something will be wrong with the Concorde.

Ha Ha, All man, I see your reason.
              KC9UDX, I see what you mean but that's great that you have these instruments. I'm sure you can get all the bugs out. You are right though about the time thing. WOW, it must be cool to be able to play those any time you want.
              I had some DX7's but that was it besides my accordion. I think I can say that my accordion beats the DX7's though.

Are you able to fix each one? If so, that is great.
              Ha ha, that's funny that you are likely to forget some!

Yes, work on them. I'm sure people here will help you out.
              Thanks KC9UDX for a sterling example of 'why not to have a list'.
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveADC6500 View Post
                Ha Ha, All man, I see your reason.
                KC9UDX, I see what you mean but that's great that you have these instruments. I'm sure you can get all the bugs out. You are right though about the time thing. WOW, it must be cool to be able to play those any time you want.
                It's too bad that any time I want, I'm somewhere else, or have something pressing to do!

Once every few years I do get to play though:

I had some DX7's but that was it besides my accordion. I think I can say that my accordion beats the DX7's though.
                A DX7 is a great thing to have though. I find the PSR-41 to be a better alternative for me. Only because I got the impression the only time I had my hands on one, that a DX7 is too hard to set up. The PSR-41 is less flexible but can be more easily changed on the fly. I hope I'm right, because the days when I could afford a DX7 are long gone.

Are you able to fix each one? If so, that is great.
                It's only because I can fix them that it makes sense for me to have them!

Last edited by myorgan; 11-16-2019, 07:31 AM. Reason: Fix quote.

Comment

• KC9UDX
                  KC9UDX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  myorgan it looks to me like you broke the quote.

I tried to remove the duplicate video from the bottom of the post, and it won't let me. It says I can't have a blank URL...

I just saw your other reply.

KC9UDX, you're right on.about the DX7's. I thought they could really steal a big chunk of time from your music playing because of the programming.
                See, that's the thing about accordions. People laugh when you say it doesn't need batteries. But that's the idea. You just pick it up and play!! Just like your cool guitar.
                That's a lot of plus's for someone that just wants to play instead of program.
                Thanks again, Dave

Comment

• KC9UDX
                  KC9UDX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is what I hate about modern electronic instruments. It's too easy to waste time getting lost in menus. An accordion truly is the opposite. I wish I still had one with more registers though!

That cool guitar was really, really cheap. It was a great value though; it holds its tune forever even with the strings overtightened the way I usually have them. It doesn't really have the sound of a Dobro, but I sure do like the timbre of it with a green Tortuga plectrum (it was during the long process of recording that video that I discovered this. That pick is all that keeps me from finger-picking). My intent in buying it was to work my way up to a tricone. But what it's done is made me want a square-neck. I just don't enjoy using a slide on a round-neck.
              Working...
              X