Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of the accordion as "portable organ"

Hello,

does anyone use accordions in (Sunday) services?
    I've started playing the accordion when I was 14 and I own three accordions, all Hohner, one 72 bass and two 96 bass instruments. I use the accordions regularly in my protestant congration, for example when we have our yearly summer event in the church garden, or on other special occasions like the eucharist on maundy Thursday when we all sit together at the table and have the service and a nice meal afterwards. Here, the accordion comes in very handy as "portable organ" and what I like most is that it suits both classical and modern chorals and hyms as it is so versatile.

Best regards
    Andrea

I think the accordion has acquired too strong an association with polka music (and possibly weird Al Yankovic) to be generally accepted in a church setting by most folks.

This is sad, since it really is much more versatile!

Yes, it is a portable organ, a reed organ to be more specific.

Good on you for breaking the mold and bringing the accordion into a new perspective.
    'Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.' --N. Bonaparte

My friends call me Steve, won't you be my friend?
    The cast, in order of appearance:
    Kawai K5, Yamaha PSR-85, Thomas Trianon A-6820, Gulbransen 621-K, Conn 580 T-2, GEM WK1 ST
    Hammond H-112, Ser. #16518, from 8/16/1971
    Oh, and let's don't forget the Jaymar!

Comment

Andrea,

Since we are in snow country, we occasionally lose power. The accordion provides self-powered accompaniment for hymns and a church service. I play one time or more per year at each of the churches. They appreciate it, some do even if they don't like accordion.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by SBurton View Post
        I think the accordion has acquired too strong an association with polka music (and possibly weird Al Yankovic) to be generally accepted in a church setting by most folks.
        I must admit I had to google Mr Yankovic I live in Germany and although the accordion is considered to be an annoying instrument mainly used in strange music shows on TV and at beer festivals, a lot of people also know that it can do much more and are willing to listen when it's played in another setting.

Originally posted by SBurton View Post
        Good on you for breaking the mold and bringing the accordion into a new perspective.
        Thanks, yes, I've always tried to use it as the versatile instrument it is. I've played in traditional accordion orchestras as well as in jazz jam sessions and it's amazing what you can do with the instrument.

Someone who's doing rather interesting and sometimes even weird things with the accordion is Kimmo Pohjonen in Finland. That guy's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
          Since we are in snow country, we occasionally lose power. The accordion provides self-powered accompaniment for hymns and a church service.
          Never really though of it that way, but, yes, it's perfect to use in case you can simply switch the organ on as you normally do.

Comment

I am not the organist at my church but I have used the accordion when the choir director switches from piano to organ. People love it. It is a Presbyterian church in MI where there is little stigma with accordions or Polka. I usually just play the keyboard in these cases. I have also played solo accordion for offering during outdoor services. A slow waltz can set the perfect mood, and my bass skills on organ are nothing to brag about. If you play accordion you should try it at your church.
            Hammond CV, Leslie 145, Nord Electro, Rhodes MK I stage 73, Yamaha SY-85, Hohner Melodica, Ye old Wheezy Wurlitzer accordion, Roland Rhodes VK-1000

Comment

Originally posted by spaceo View Post
              If you play accordion you should try it at your church.
              I do, regularly
              Thanks for the positive words!

Comment

Originally posted by spaceo View Post
                It is a Presbyterian church in MI where there is little stigma with accordions or Polka.
                Spaceo,

How odd you should mention the stigma associated with the accordion. Before he was promoted to Heaven, my father used to fill in for pastors who were away for a Sunday service. A couple of decades ago, my wife and I went with him to a Swedish church and played for them. Shortly afterward, one of the ladies interrupted the service to tell us (with tears in her eyes) that was the first time a Violin had been played in church, because the old Swedish folks associated the Violin with bar rooms and the life that surrounded them. She asked us, "How could such an instrument playing that music ever have been considered sinful?"

My wife was totally taken aback. I think it was then that my wife began realizing what her playing really meant to people.

Michael
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

No place for this in church then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn0bcSmJNSE
                  Neil Jenson 'Connoisseur' 3/35 VTPO. Gulbransen Rialto II.
                  Building a full set of WERSI W3 voice filters and designing new Hammond X-66 voice filters for a new MIDI controlled organ.
                  Various Leslie speaker projects including 'Rotosonic' L102, L103, L212S and building a new L122 cabinet.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Doddy.van.Straaten View Post
                      No place for this in church then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn0bcSmJNSE
                      NEVER! ABSOLUTELY NOT! Just kidding, though. It it floats someone's boat--go for it. You'll have a hard time convincing the purists here, though. Imagine that, an accordion player who can play the organ on his squeeze box! What do they do for the 32' Pedal stops?

Michael

Comment

My organ only has 16' anyway, so I would't miss the 32'

Comment

I've started practising the pieces for the next "organ-less" service. And I might get to play the accordion on some additional Sundays, too, since in one of our churches the organ will get restored and thus will be unplayable for a few weeks. Will keep you updated if that happens.

Comment

Hello andijah, at least I'm not the only one playing the accordion on Sunday Mass (or services) I own 2 accordions, and started a month before I turned 14. That is pretty good for a use with an accordion since I only play the chords and bass notes.

Comment

Nice to hear from another accordion player

Comment

Working...
                              X