Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see this forum

Hello everyone,

I am glad to see a forum for the accordion on this site dedicated to real organs. It is finally getting the respect it deserves as a serious musical instrument.

Bill McIntyre

Originally posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
    I am glad to see a forum for the accordion on this site dedicated to real organs. It is finally getting the respect it deserves as a serious musical instrument.
    Bill,

Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to the accordion club. Unfortunately, the accordion part of the OrganForum is not particularly active, but many of us play multiple instruments. In my case, I started with an old Hohner--120 bass, perhaps 2-sets of reeds, that belonged to our family--not sure where it came from. Then I used my sister's red Ferrari (Ferraro?) Italian-style accordion that was smaller and lighter. I think perhaps that accordion had also 2 sets of reeds. She sold it. Now, I have a Video accordion (made by Pancordion), pearl white, with at least 3 sets of reeds. Alas, no musette yet. My next goal is to find an accordion with a good musette sound, but my, are they expensive!

Tell us about your accordion(s)! I hope you continue to participate here often.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
      Unfortunately, the accordion part of the OrganForum is not particularly active
      Maybe because we're all too busy playing the accordion

It's nice to see another accordionist joining the forum. Welcome, Bill!

Comment

I think the accordion gets a bad rap due to its association with polkas. It's certainly an interesting instrument, and a lot cool IMO than a Keytar. I'd love to play one in the right kind of band. Maybe a folk-rock act. Tony Monaco plays a decent jazz accordion -

Comment

-------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Hello Michael,

I have three accordions--(oldest to newest) a Roland Solist, a Paolo Soprani and a Santini. The Paolo is the first, the one I took lessons on for four years. The Santini is the second, purchased new after I finished college and the one I use for gigs. The Roland, last, I purchased at a yard sale for $15.00 USD and restored to playable condition. It appears to date back to WWI. My latest acquisition is the Hammond Concorde 2307 organ.

Comment

Bill,

Then you're right at home here with both accordions and organ! Is the Santini a button or piano accordion? How many sets of reeds?

I think my Video accordion (Pancordion knockoff) only has 3 or 4 sets of treble and 2 sets of bass reeds. Sadly, I have no musette, so that rules out about 1/2 of accordion literature.

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Hello Michael,

All of them are piano accordions. The Paulo Soprani and the Santini have musette tuning (three 8' reeds, tuned wet, plus one 16' in the treble). I had that done on the Santini when I purchased it. The Roland has only two treble reed sets.

Bill McIntyre
                Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 02-09-2017, 04:25 PM. Reason: forgot to sign

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                  My next goal is to find an accordion with a good musette sound, but my, are they expensive!
                  Michael
                  Hello Michael,
                  Expensive--That is likely the main reason we don't hear and see more of them. Electronic keyboards are increasingly taking their place. Yes, I own one of those too--a Casio CT640 that I purchased new over 30 years ago for about $320 USD, about a tenth of the cost of a decent new accordion at that time. (I guess that means I now own a total of five organs.) A big reason I purchased the Casio is that it runs on internal batteries (6 D-cell flashlight batteries) as well as external power. It is also much more compact and lighter to carry. However, it needs a stand for playing--sort of a bummer for Christmas caroling or other walking gigs since someone has to hold it for the player.

Bill McIntyre

Comment

Working...
                  X