What is this accordion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this accordion?

Ok, so i was given this accordion by someone. What brand is it and what tuning is it the guy told me it was a B-flat instrument i am not sure and can be used to play music.
    Instruments:
    22/8 Button accordion.

I don't know the first thing about button boxes. So I can't comment on the tuning.

But the first thing i would do is open it up and inspect it. There might be maker's marks inside. Though who made it isn't really relevant. What's important is that none of the reeds have been dislodged, and that the wax isn't cracked.

Can it be used? Certainly. But make sure it's in playable condition first. Ernest Deffner sells a very good book that the average person can use to do rudimentary service on an accordion. If you can afford to, take it to a professional. They can tune it as well. But if you can't afford it, don't worry, tuning isn't critical. Good wax and leathers is.

Comment

• Ben Madison
      Ben Madison commented
      Editing a comment
      whats the the title on the Ernest Deffner book

• KC9UDX
      KC9UDX commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd have to dig it out. By the time I get a chance to I'll forget to...

• KC9UDX
      KC9UDX commented
      Editing a comment
      Accordion Repairs Made Easy

I believe these are called concertinas. The melody buttons play a different note on the push vs. pull. You can look up information online to get the exact information about how they are played.

Perhaps you could do a picture match using *oogle? You might be able to find the brand.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

• Ben Madison
      Ben Madison commented
      Editing a comment
      Its google, Bing is way better.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      No kidding.... :-|

As far as I know, what makes a concertina is that it isn't worn like an accordion, and both sides have straps for your hands. The treble side has buttons flat to the sides, not perpendicular like this. Because the concertina is played by pushing and pulling with both hands, the buttonboard cannot be played in the orientation like the one in the picture. So it must be an accordion.

Comment

• KC9UDX
      KC9UDX commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it's upside down (which is not good for it). But to be a concertina (the way I understand it) the treble buttons have to be flat against the face, just like the bass buttons.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Guess you're right on the concertina. However, when I searched for Hohner Button Accordion, I came up with a Smithsonian article on the topic. Their button accordion has the right-hand keyboard the same as the one in the picture above (https://public-media.si-cdn.com/file.../cfts10107.jpg).

The article is here: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...ion-180967626/

Michael

• KC9UDX
      KC9UDX commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, this is what a button accordion is, as opposed to a "piano accordion." (I always thought they should be called "organ accordions.")

Button accordions seem to be very popular in Russia. They also can have Stradella bass like a typical piano accordion. The treble buttons come in several arrangements as far as I know.

if this helps a their is a metal plate on the side that faintly reads "Steel Reeds"
    Instruments:
    22/8 Button accordion.

Comment

Almost all accordions have steel reeds.

Comment

From the title 'accordion' I was dubious of a Bb instrument. However, in concertina-land, there is indeed such a thing.
        The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.
        Unwanted Bitcoin? Dispose of them safely here:14hjbheQVki8eG75otRK4d2MQBarCCWQfJ

Comment

Wikipedia has an article on exactly what this instrument is: a Diatonic Button Accordion. I'd provide a link but the forum software won't let me today.

According to that, this instrument certainly could be Bb. Of course that doesn't mean it's restricted to playing in Bb. In any case, there are other B​​​​​​b instruments. Many times I had to transpose on the fly to play along with someone who could only play B​​​​​​b​​​​​​​.

Comment

Ben Madison
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	651236

Comment

Name:	IMAG0082.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	651238

Comment

Name:	IMAG0083.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	651240

Comment

• myorgan
                myorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                I tried to rotate this for you, but failed. Sorry.

Michael

• KC9UDX
                KC9UDX commented
                Editing a comment
                's OK. I tried and failed too. I'm shocked that they're wrong; I'm very careful about camera orientation but clearly my camera's orientating sensor is packing up.

It seems to be a more or less "standard" button accordion. But you already have found this out
              I just checked my accordion literature but only found overviews of the names of the buttons on the chromatic version of the button accordion, so that won't help you. The wikipedia article seems to be pretty concise, though.

I always had to buy my accordions, so congratulations to this nice gift

Comment

I don't watch TV, almost never. But I espied a show on Milwaukee PBS right now explaining what this instrument is, how it differs from the concertina, and everything else you could want to know about accordions.

Comment

Working...
                X