No announcement yet.

Accordion Newbie with Old Accordion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked wax causes you to lose wind when you're playing that reed. You'll notice that some notes take more wind than others.

Yours is cracked to the point where reeds are ready to come loose. If you were to continue playing it like that, you'd soon have a mess.

That gap looks normal. Do remove the reed blocks. Before removing any blocks, mark them with a pencil so you know where to put them back. If you have a soldering iron, you can fix that wax. Just run your iron along the cracks. Don't move too slowly or you'll burn the wax. If you use a soldering iron make absolutely sure to remove all the solder and rosin from the tip first. If you don't have a soldering iron, you could improvise with a sacrificial spoon and a torch.

Comment

Alright! I do have a soldering iron, so I could use that. Would you advise getting any reed wax before attempting the job? If not, I might begin right away, proceeding with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goodfellow View Post
        Alright! I do have a soldering iron, so I could use that. Would you advise getting any reed wax before attempting the job? If not, I might begin right away, proceeding with caution.
        I'd go ahead without it. If you need it, buy it at that point. You might be able to get by without it.

Comment

It's quite a while since I posted on here, but I did perform the sodering iron procedure on the wax, and the sound of the accordion is much better. All of the reeds sound excellent and the entire accordion is in extremely good tune. There are no weird-sounding chord buttons anymore. There were a few spots I could have used a little more wax, but I believe all is fairly secure now. There is still some leaking, which I will work on troubleshooting, but the whole sound of the accordion is very good right now.

Comment

• KC9UDX
            KC9UDX commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice work!

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Goodfellow,

Thank you for sharing the end result of your endeavors. Often, we hear the questions and answers, but it really is rewarding when someone shares the results of their labors. Thank you!

Michael
        Working...
        X