No announcement yet.

Anybody Else Have a Melodica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool deal, Paul. I've seen some of those round-ended boxes on eBay. Alas, my Performer 37 has still not arrived. I don't know WHY the post office even bothers with tracking numbers... it should be tracking possible months. The Hohners - Piano 26 and 36 may even get here sooner. Watching the mockumentary now - thanks. Do you have any music up on YouTube?
    -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
    -- Rodgers W5000, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3, E112, L-102
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Well, everything got here today. I have two vintage models - Hohner Piano 26 (sixties) and Hohner Piano 36 (seventies).

Here's Dr. Bekken playing two 26s and a 36.
      The other melodica is a modern Hohner Performer 37. It plays similarly to the Suzuki M37C but has a brighter, louder sound. The older Hohners have a lovely bass sound.

I'll get some pictures soon.
      -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Not quite a melodica here but not far off I guess.

Yesterday I picked up a Hohner Organetta 3 table-top electric reed organ for the princely sum of 5 euro. The person who sold it to me said that every time he plugs it in, it takes out the main breaker in the house. Anyway, the first thing I did when I got it home was get a screwdriver & unscrew the plug lid. There I wasn't long finding the fault. The neutral (blue) wire was connected to the Earth/ground terminal (top-center) & the Earth wire (green/yellow) to the neutral (lower-left). At least whoever did this put in the correct value fuse! (3 Amps).

After I corrected the wiring error I plugged it in, switched it on & the fan started picking up speed. There was an A-note ciphering. It's felt pad had come loose, so I glued it back together. All working now!

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a funny-looking plug. Is it normal on the other side?

Michael

P.S. Just after posting I noticed you're on the other side of the pond. I get it now.*embarrassed*
          Last edited by myorgan; 12-24-2020, 09:43 AM. Reason: Add P.S.

• Silken Path
          Silken Path commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty cool, John. And clean, too. Does it sound more like a harmonica or more like a reed organ? I have melodicas that resemble one or the other. I've also been looking at table-top organs on eBay. And wow - it's been years since I've seen a Bussmann fuse.

• John_Joe_Jr
          John_Joe_Jr commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, it was a good find alright. As for the sound, I had a couple of harmonicas when I was a kid (not that I could really play them) & this sounds more like one of those than any reed organ that I have tried.

I have seen a good few of these on ebay going for around 100 euro in some cases, although they tend to get re-listed over & over. I had a bit of fun playing this for a few hours after I got it working, then thought I'd list it on adverts.ie (a local classified ad site) & see what happens. I have just had a call from a guy in my local area who is interested in buying it. So there does seem to be a collector's market for these...

And yes, those Bussmann fuses are a rare sight nowadays I'll agree!

I had a small, 2 or 3 octave Melodica back in '75. It was a lot of fun. I took it to Israel, and in a park there.. it attracted a bunch of kids who had never heard one before. One little fellow seemed so enamored with it.. I gave it to him as a gift! He happily took it.. and walked away 'tooting' on it.. It is basically a harmonica... I do like portable instruments, and have a few Ukulele's, Guitars, Ocarina's, a Anasazi Native American flute and a Shakuhashi.. All are fun to play..
        Lowrey MX2 (NT400x)
        Thomas Floridian Classic -- aka Wersi Rondo Classic
        Kimball K800 'Fascination' Theater Organ
        Conn 650 - Type 1 with Conn Pipes - Model #145
        Baldwin Cinema 2 (214-DR)
        Wersi Spectra DX 700 CD - LiveStyle, Memory Tower
        Wersi Beta DX400 TS - (with AMS)
        Wersi Delta DX 500 - (with AMS)
        Wersi Pegasus Keyboard!
        MOOG Eterwave Standard Theremin & MOOG Werkstatt
        Roland GAIA SH-01 Virtual Analog Synthesizer
        Casio Privia PX-160 Digital Piano!

Comment

Here's a melodica in a famous song of its day. Notice the long hose down to the melodica.

Comment

Working...
          X