No announcement yet.

Anybody Else Have a Melodica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I received another Hohner HM-36. I paid $50 for this one, and I am delighted that it is airtight. It's been around smokers, though. There is also something rattling around it there, but I'm not about to open it while it's working and in tune.
    -- Hi, I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project -- 1899 Kimball, 1999 Rodgers W5000C, Roland DS-61/88, FA-06, VR-09B, 1975 Conn 643, 1959 Hammond M3, 1965 E112, and 1963 L-102, several melodicas

Comment

I'm following advice from melodicaworld.com forum and am soaking the entire melodica in 50/50 white vinegar and water. I plan to keep it in this mixture overnight and flush it with clean water tomorrow. (This was a very strong odor of tobacco.) I've also found a tiny leak under the handle attachment. As long as this the only leak, I'll probably just leave it.
      -- Hi, I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project -- 1899 Kimball, 1999 Rodgers W5000C, Roland DS-61/88, FA-06, VR-09B, 1975 Conn 643, 1959 Hammond M3, 1965 E112, and 1963 L-102, several melodicas

Comment

Soaking the melodica in vinegar and water overnight has worked great. I added some essence of almond to the rinse water and have been blowing it out about every hour today. All the notes are still sounding and the action is unaffected. Now I must decide if I want to go into it to fix the leak that is happening under the handle strap. So far, so good.

Comment

And here's one from the mindless entertainment division. Listen at 1:43 and at the end for the melodica.

Kind of catchy, isn't it?

Comment

Melodicas are wonderful and the best bang-for-buck instrument I have. I played one in a couple bands and used it for solos and a replacement for harmonica parts (eg "You Don't Know How It Feels). I'd have 2 keyboards that might include Rhodes, 200A, Clavinet, and shiney complex-looking synthesizers, and the melodica is the one people thought was coolest/asked about most. Mine has been modded with stickers to eliminate wolf tones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	melodica 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	806149
            Click image for larger version

Name:	melodica 2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	806150
            Attached Files
            Why do fools fall in lava?

Comment

It's beautiful. (At first, I thought I was looking at a Rasta Airboard.) Do you have any YouTube with your melodica?

I'm just an amateur pianist/organist, so no YouTube for me, but I do enjoy the tooting (and other folks tooting, too).

Interesting too that the second post in this thread is myorgan talking about using a melodica in place of a harmonica for a Christmas cantata.

My latest report -- I've been playing the Yamaha ERB most often for the last month. It has a marvelous dark tone like the Hohner Piano 36 without the age and unreliability. :)

Comment

I have one, but it's just collecting dust right now.

Comment

Hi, FilipinoTheatreFanatic welcome to the thread. I have a few dust catchers around here, too. I have to keep moving or the dust, or the kudzu, will get me, too. :)

What brand and model is your melodica?

Comment

Originally posted by Silken Path View Post
                    It's beautiful. (At first, I thought I was looking at a Rasta Airboard.) Do you have any YouTube with your melodica?

I'm just an amateur pianist/organist, so no YouTube for me, but I do enjoy the tooting (and other folks tooting, too).

Interesting too that the second post in this thread is myorgan talking about using a melodica in place of a harmonica for a Christmas cantata.

My latest report -- I've been playing the Yamaha ERB most often for the last month. It has a marvelous dark tone like the Hohner Piano 36 without the age and unreliability. :)
                    The Rasta Airboard is so melodica. Delightfully colorful and loud (both figuratively and literally). This Student model is 12 years old and still working well- I had to buy a new hose though.

Here's a youtube playing it over a few sections of a vanity project of mine (it's a 64 section suite based on the I Ching). My recordings are amateurish. It's hard to get a melodica pointed at a microphone in a consistent way. Performing at really small venues was nice since there's no need to mic; pointing it stagnantly at a SM58 et al makes 1-5 notes too loud and the rest inaudible. In this case, it's pointed toward a ribbon mic in front of a bass trap. This particular melodica I think is a little less bright than new Student melodicas. If you listen to any part of it make it the squawk at 2:51.

Why do fools fall in lava?

Comment

• Silken Path
                      Silken Path commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you. I did notice the squawk... Went back to see it again, and your finger was high up on the keys. So was that banging from the black key to the white?

I think the music is very, very nice, and you're blending the melodica in wonderfully. I'm favorably impressed.

I have two of the Airboard era melodicas - a Performer 37, which always impresses me with how LOUD the booger can be, and a Carbon, which is pretty thing. Hohner claims it is "jazzy." Couldn't tell it by me.

Other than the two modern Hohners, I have two 60's models - a Piano 36 and 26, a Suzuki 37 Melodiion, a Hammond 44 Pro, and a Yamaha 37. The Yamaha and the Hammond, as far as I know, were the only models designed in the 2010s or 2020s.
                  Working...
                  X