Unexpected addition to my accordion collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected addition to my accordion collection

Until yesterday, I owned 3 accordions - all "piano style", one 72 bass instrument and two 96 bass instruments. I use them regularly, for example as "portable organ" in church.
    About 10 days ago, a lady from the parish approached me and said that her father had died and left two accordions - would I be interested in them? I said, sure, I'll have a look (and at the same time I thought, oh dear, I don't really have any money to spare and buy another instrument, let alone two.).
    Yesterday, she brought two accordion cases to church. Inside were a Hohner diatonic instrument with three rows of buttons on the melody side and 12 bass buttons; and a Hohner diatonic instrument with 30 buttons on the melody side and 8 bass buttons. Both instruments in great shape as far as I could tell - I yet have to learn how to play the button systems.
    And then she said: you know, my mother wants to give those accordions to you for free. She wants to see the instruments loved and that's more important to her than money.
    So... I am now the very proud and humbled owner of a Hohner Corona II (yes, it's indeed a "Corona" model) and a Hohner Ouverture V.
    The Corona has the "Vienna style" button set-up and the Ouverture has the "Club model" button set-up, so my brain has a lot of work to do. But it's great fun to learn something new and I'm so happy about this unexpected pre-Christmas present.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Knopfakkordeons_2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	787822

I had to look up how to play a button accordion, and it looks challenging! When you figure it out, please post a video.
    Ed Kennedy
    Current Organs - Conn 645 Theater, 1861 Smith Melodeon

Comment

Originally posted by andijah View Post
      And then she said: you know, my mother wants to give those accordions to you for free. She wants to see the instruments loved and that's more important to her than money.
      So... I am now the very proud and humbled owner of a Hohner Corona II (yes, it's indeed a "Corona" model) and a Hohner Ouverture V.
      Andrea,

Congratulations on finding a gem of an accordion! Several years ago I was offered, guess what, a Hohner Corona II. Unlike you, I turned it down because I didn't realize its value until much later–still kicking myself for that!

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Boy, they are beautiful. I recently donated a Hohner student (child) model to an outfit in Philadelphia who does kids' lessons (!). It had the same red finish as the one on the right.
        -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
        -- Rodgers W5000C, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06, VR-09B, Conn 643, Hammond M3, E112, and L-102
        -- The mean relative humidity in Atlanta is between 60% and 80% every month of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by edkennedy View Post
          When you figure it out, please post a video.
          I can already play two songs on the corona model. But not video-ready yet. Will keep you updated on my progress, though.

Comment

Working...
          X