1899 Kimball Parlor Organ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instructions for Taking the Kimball Organ Apart

I was able to take the pieces of the instruction label inside the organ and assemble them somewhat on a homemade light table. Here's what the label originally said:
    1. Remove two screws in the keyslip (fretwork in front of and below the keys), and lift it out.
    2. To remove the lid or fall-board, turn the buttons on the button-hinges in the frame.
    3. Disconnect all the connecting strips from stop-action to action proper, including grand-organ connections ; then take out the two screws holding the stop-action on the key-frame, and lift out the stop-action.
    4. To take up the action and reed-board, remove all the round-head screws around the edge of the reed-board, and the flat-headed screws in under side of wind-chest in the front, and lift out the action and the reed-board.
    5. After the organ has been taken apart, to put it together again, follow these directions in reverse order.

Reassemble in reverse order of disassembly.

Next I'm going to work on the warranty certificate. It was folded into quarters and stapled to the inside of the organ, so it's in four pieces now.

I'd like to align the parts and frame it, since the date and receiving party's name is clearly visible. A problem I have is that the parts are trying to curl up (before I can press the glass down) and are fragile. What would be neat would be something slightly sticky that I could use to locate the pieces and then put them under glass, yet inert/inactive enough to leave for the next hundred years or so. (Or the second coming, whichever comes first.)

Has anybody worked with similar stuff like this before? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Silken Path; 08-19-2017, 08:29 AM. Reason: Kant spiel
    -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
    -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
    -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Originally posted by Silken Path View Post

Has anybody worked with similar stuff like this before? Any suggestions?
      HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE! You have in your hands a piece of history - classic history and are indeed fortunate to own an instrument that has been preserved together with the documentation as you describe. Please try and preserve it well. And do not neglect to post some pictures.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Nico
      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Alas... Plumped my rumpus on the claw-footed stool, and it split down the middle where the screw enters the lower platform, dumping me most indecorously in front of a listener who actually had a request... (that was not "stop playing").
        -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Here is a picture of the original 1899 warranty certificate, which was folded up and stapled inside the organ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kimball_Warranty.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	602996

In other news, I managed to glue the split lower surface and loose legs together on the claw-footed stool. Now I need to develop some confidence in it again. My plan is to construct the Mason & Hamlin bench #3 which has plans floating around.

Here's one actually in use. This is Michael Hendron playing on his 1915 M&H in Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, while not being sure to wear some flowers in his hair.

Mr. Hendron is an impressive organist.

Comment

Thank you for the fantastic video! What a sound from a reed organ.

Michael

Comment

That was one of the best M&H organ I ever owned. I'm grateful that Michael chose it and has done so much great music with it.
              Casey

Comment

Worn playing keys

Here are some worn playing keys. I'm tempted to leave them as they are. For one thing, it's authentic, and I can tell this organ was well-loved, well-used. For another, I don't know what they're made of, but the color goes entirely through them - they're not covered in paint or indigo or indian ink.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Worn_Keys_Straight.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	603032

I haven't been very busy this week, but I temporarily rigged up an old piano bench to be 21 1/2" x 23 1/4" high and sloped in order to mimic a Mason & Hamlin style 3 pump organ bench. For my trouble I got... a backache. It could be coincidence.

In other news, I found that the horizontal board above the pedals - the one that has the cutouts for the rollers - has cracked a fairly large piece loose where the right-hand feeder spring fits into a notch in it. I placed the spring end just above the notch and it tried to push through again. Hmm... this board is part of the cross-spine of the organ. The boards for the platform that holds up the works, the bellows, and some corner angle boards all attach to it. It's not going to be great fun to get to even when the works and bellows are out.

For the time being, I put a wooden stop in to prevent the pedals from going down that last inch or so where the springs exert maximum force on the cross board.

I had joked in another thread that the Diapason and Principal and the Melodia and Echo Horn all sound alike. They basically do on this organ, so that requires some attention when I get in there.

I've decided that I am going to put it back together so that it can be operated by the bellows or a pump. To familiarize myself with installing and using one, I ordered the smaller model (2.5" suction) from Arndt Organ Supply. It should be here this week.

So... so far, so good. I haven't found any terrible problems with this old princess.

Comment

The white keys may be made of nitrocellulose. Don't smoke while playing.

The black keys are probably just ebony.
                  1914 Estey Parlor Organ. 196x Allen T-12a "Special" (MIDI VPO project). Digital piano. Various guitars. Autoharp. Banjo. Bowed saw. Musical Cat.

Comment

Thanks - had to look at Wikipedia to find about ebony - makes sense based on the old "Ivory and Ebony" song. The black keys DO look like the Bell piano on the Wiki page.

I'll avoid any rambunctious polishing, too.

Comment

It looks like getting to the board that is cracking may not be a bully bear to work on. It appears that the entire front lower panel lifts up and can be removed to get to the full-length front of that board.

Comment

Well, first experiments with the suction unit are now underway. The thing is a "Lee Silent 'ORGAVAC' Reed Organ Suction Unit model #RO-6." It provides 2 1/2" of vacuum and has an 1/8 hp motor.

I'm using the 3/8" hole under the Vox Humana for now. The unit only came with about 14" of flex hose, as it's intended to be mounted in place of the bellows and have the flex hose go straight up to the windchest.

The suction pump won't fit anywhere inside the organ, so I'll need more flex hose - I might as well put it in the other room, which is the garage.

I also ordered the optional check valve. This is a boxy spring-loaded affair that sits over the inlet. The aluminum impeller is visible inside the inlet. On the side is an exhaust flapper valve, and the motor is visible through that opening.

So... how's it work? Well, it won't power the organ the way it's installed. I still need to pump the pedals. However, not nearly as much, and the drain-down time when holding a chord and stopping pumping actually exists now. :0

Their suggestion is to put the connection on the bellows if wanting to use both/either. It's not closing the bellows now, which I sort of thought it would. Guess it won't overcome the spring pressure.

I have some decisions to make here. I do like the unit - it looks well built and durable, and it's not objectionably loud (but "silent" not exactly). I'm thinking of making the connection atop the windchest approximately in line with the Vox Humana. Then I could still use the organ (without the check valve) if the bellows are out for an extended time. I'm look forward to actually using the Vox Humana. So far, it's been pump, pump, pump, whir, whir, pump, pump, whir, whir...

Tomorrow I'll go looking for some longer flex hose.

Comment

Having fun are you? Good!

Once the bug has bit, its bit!!

Nico
                          "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Hey Silken Path,

This morning I ordered "The American Reed Organ" on Amazon. I'll have it on Saturday! (I got the Hardback version.)

Now I won't have to bother the Veterans on this Forum so frequently!

Hal

Comment

Well, we learn a lot from the answers other members provide for the questions. Most of what I know about organs has been directly from this forum and trial and error. (Time passes quickly when you're having fun.)

Let me know how informative the book is when you have a chance to read it. As mentioned earlier in the thread I have the Milne book, and it's a hoot, and the Presley book, which I could critique from my being a former editor, but which has good material and pictures in it.

Back on the subject of suction units, I'm still not understanding WHY it's working this way. I don't MIND how it's working; in fact, I rather LIKE it. But with the unit on and no pumping/keys presses, the exhaust flapper "burps" a bit every five seconds or so - that's the leakage from the organ. So it's holding the vacuum and drawing in a bit from the organ. However, it won't operate the organ. No sounds with a key press... until I slightly move the pedals. Only a little pedaling is needed, and fast pedaling loud, slow pedaling soft, still works.

Again, it's temporarily plumbed in where the Vox Humana sits. It has a check valve that springs open whenever the suction from the unit is greater than that from the organ.

I may need to rig up some crazy instrumentation for this, but why isn't powering the organ without the pedals moving? Is it likely that it just has a lot of internal and bellows leakage and is using both sources just to operate?

Comment

The Vox Humana is on the intake side, right? Above the reeds, I mean. (That's how my Estey is, anyway.) That'll be pulling the air the wrong way through the reeds (assuming it's a suction unit). You'll probably have to cut a hole somewhere in one of the main bellows boards and mount it down there. Or something like that. I am sure there are others on here that have better advice on exactly where to mount it, but I would think it would definitely have to be mounted somewhere in the air path under the reeds rather than above.

Edit: Maybe I don't know what I am talking about (probably not, lol). Yeah, I definitely don't. I guess it's also possible that the Vox Humana hole is just too small for the pump to draw vacuum through fast enough???
                                1914 Estey Parlor Organ. 196x Allen T-12a "Special" (MIDI VPO project). Digital piano. Various guitars. Autoharp. Banjo. Bowed saw. Musical Cat.

Comment

Working...
                                X