• Show
Clear All

What I Got For Christmas

Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas2018.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	606851

Those are "modern replicas" of an Edison-style lamp of the early 20th century. They're actually sort of modern impressions of a typical Edison lamp, but they do have a old-timey red glow and they look nice on the organ. The bulbs are Edison style, but with a modern base. With no other lights, I can illuminate a book-sized hymnal or larger song book and read the stop faces on the organ and see all the keys.

These are from Amazon and sold by a company called "Surpars House" and are model #S0170010.

The organ is still working fine. I have a 3/8-inch orifice in line between the suction pump and organ, and it allows for the organ to play very softly without pedaling or play quite satisfyingly with pedals. I'm not getting any droning sensation from the pump at all.
    -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
    -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
    -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Interestingly, the lights look cool and I'm pleased with them, but they don't actually light the music desk - unless I raise them up about six inches. This matches where the light from a fuel lantern would be.

Electrification had its struggles, I guess.
      -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

• Organfella
        Organfella commented
        Editing a comment
        That one reminds me strongly of my old Storey & Clarke. The cabinet is of similar design. My first impression was that the electric lamps kind of do not fit but looking at it carefully again I realized that they do have an appeal.

Enjoy!

Nico

• Silken Path
        Silken Path commented
        Editing a comment
        This old thing is surprisingly easy to play. I think it's because mechanically the notes are slow to "bloom" and then "decay." It's sort of like having a sustain that works before and after the key press... It would be about 1915 here for something like those lights to arrive.

Up to something again... The curved piece that the stop tubes go through has badly "waffled," crinkly paint. I've been slowly sanding it off for the last week or so and am getting ready to re-coat. The question is what to use? I will have this piece completely off when I pull the mechanism (when I get more room freed up), so this is only a small job. That said, I'd like to use the authentic stuff that will look right. I've been reading. Would this have been a nitro-cellulose lacquer used to get the gloss black?

Comment

Lamar,

If the "nitro-cellulose" is what I'm thinking, I would be very careful with any sort of heat around it. What I'm thinking of is old film made of nitro-cellulose, which has now become unstable after 70-80+ years. YMMV.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Ha. Actually, Wikipedia says that it was used to soak the paper that wrapped dynamite, but I think I've seen it offered in small cans with a pack of tint to pour in, but I may be mixing it up with some other product. It also says that the volatiles flash off the stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X