Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly acquired Mason & Hamlin 1200 3mp Liszt help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rodney View Post
    Congratulations on such a fine instrument!

I have a friend in Japan that is interested in purchasing a 1200 that has been available - how do these sound in a home environment? Are they excruciatingly loud or pleasing to play in a small room?

Thanks!

Rodney
    I saw one for sale in Europe for 13,000 Euros and it is unrestored. I do not know if it is too loud for the home. I have it in my church which has a fairly large sanctuary and I don't think it loud enough. It is probably ok in a home environment.

Does anybody know if the size of the suction blower makes a difference? I do know that 1/2 horsepower is the recommended for an organ the size of this one. I do not know the horsepower of the blower that is connected to it. It doesn't say anywhere on it what it is. Well, that I have found yet. All I know is that it is a
    "Kinetic".Click image for larger version

Name:	Mason-Hamlin-Blower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	602796 There is a metal label with some numbers engraved on it. I will have to attach a photo of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Another question. I want to change the Silks. It looks like a few holes have come in them. What kind of fabric is used? What is original to it is a simple weave really thin Black fabric. My sister thinks that it is a cotton fabric. I have read that "Poplin" or "Broadcloth" is what is used. It seems too heavy. My other M&H has perfect silks and they seem to be similar but brown.

Comment

I have two of these old ones (not quite as classic as the one discussed here though) both with two manuals and pedals working the trackers as described. The one is an 1880 Jilles van der Tak which is a pressure organ and has a tremedous volume. It can be fitted with a blower and once upon a time had a pump lever but works very well with the treadles, albeit eliminating the use of the pedals as the appendices to the lower legs of the player are obviously needed elsewhere....

The other one is a Mannborg Church organ fitted with a 1/2hp blower and pump lever still intact. This one was used in a church of roughly 35 X 20 metres and with a balcony. The padre complained that it did not have enough volume so changed it for an electronic organ providing louder noise. This is a suction design but also has plenty of volume. This one is my avatar picture.

Both of these I would recon have more than enough volume for a small hall.

Nico
      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Oh, no! I found a hole in the bellows. Yes, they are still present. I reckon the old hand pump mechanism is still there. Great! I wonder what the practice foot pedal looked like?
        I will post some pics after choir practice.

Comment

Originally posted by cearley View Post
          Another question. I want to change the Silks. It looks like a few holes have come in them. What kind of fabric is used? What is original to it is a simple weave really thin Black fabric. My sister thinks that it is a cotton fabric. I have read that "Poplin" or "Broadcloth" is what is used. It seems too heavy. My other M&H has perfect silks and they seem to be similar but brown.
          My mother and aunt changed the silks back in the 1980s on my grandmother's organ. They used broadcloth on the organ. However, if you're interested in something that allows more sound to get out, you can find acoustically transparent cloth in various colors. Parts Express is one of the vendors others have recommended and there are others.

Hope that provides the information you need.

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

More Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mason & Hamlin blower label.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	602814 This is the label on the suction blower

Name:	Mason & Hamlin lower innards 2.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	602815 This is the innards in the lower front

Name:	Mason & Hamlin lower innards.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	602816 This is a close up of the duct work.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26976[/ATTACH] This is the label on the suction blower
              I am no expert, but it looks like the blower label says it is 8.5hp, and uses 400Watts? The other numbers refer to the specific blower. Alternately, one of the numbers could be referring to the cubic feet of air moved per second or minute.

After looking at other labels online, it looks like it is 400 cubic feet per minute at 8.5 ins. (inches of wind?). Inches of wind is the inches of displacement of water in an "S" tube at sea level.

I hope this helps.

Michael
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                I am no expert, but it looks like the blower label says it is 8.5hp, and uses 400Watts? The other numbers refer to the specific blower. Alternately, one of the numbers could be referring to the cubic feet of air moved per second or minute.

After looking at other labels online, it looks like it is 400 cubic feet per minute at 8.5 ins. (inches of wind?). Inches of wind is the inches of displacement of water in an "S" tube at sea level.

I hope this helps.

Michael
                8.5" wind is enough to ruin every reed in that organ! Especially the irreplaceable 32ft pedal reeds.
                eek!
                Casey

Comment

I think that might be a "3" instead of an "8". That would make it 400@3.5

Comment

Cool! More pictures. I still think it looks menacing and marvelous. What were the measurement units back then? 400... CFM? 3.5 PSI?
                    -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Classic, 1899 Kimball mirrored high top
                    -- Rodgers W5000, Roland RD300nx, Juno DS-61/88 - 1975 Conn 643 Theater - 1959 Hammond M3
                    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Originally posted by SubBase View Post
                      8.5" wind is enough to ruin every reed in that organ! Especially the irreplaceable 32ft pedal reeds.
                      eek!
                      My reaction exactly when I saw it! I've never seen that kind of wind pressure except in a pipe organ. It made me wonder, however, never having seen a 3m/p Mason & Hamlin, there was a part of me that said, "Well, maybe they need that amount of supply for that many reeds? No wonder the bellows have a hole in them!"

I think that might be a "3" instead of an "8". That would make it 400@3.5
                      I've magnified the photo, and I believe you're probably correct. It is a 3 instead of an 8.

Sorry, hope I didn't give anyone a heart attack!

Michael
                      Last edited by myorgan; 07-15-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post

Sorry, hope I didn't give anyone a heart attack!

Michael
                        Call 911 (international)...... I think I am going to use the blower I got with my Mannborg giant for something else...

Nico
                        "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Originally posted by Silken Path View Post
                          Cool! More pictures. I still think it looks menacing and marvelous. What were the measurement units back then? 400... CFM? 3.5 PSI?
                          3.5" of water column. It is equal to 0.13PSI.
                          3.5 PSI would kill every reed, faster even than 8.5" water column. 3.5 pound/square inch = 96.88 inch of water!
                          Casey

Comment

Originally posted by SubBase View Post
                            3.5" of water column. It is equal to 0.13PSI.
                            3.5 PSI would kill every reed, faster even than 8.5" water column. 3.5 pound/square inch = 96.88 inch of water!
                            Casey
                            4" is suggested for one the size of this one by what I have read. I know that it has been on this blower since before 1979 or so. That is when the owner before me bought it. It was being used in a Catholic Church before this.
                            What am I to do?

Comment

4" is suggested for one the size of this one by what I have read. I know that it has been on this blower since before 1979 or so. That is when the owner before me bought it. It was being used in a Catholic Church before this.
                              What am I to do?
                              3.5" won't be that far off, so you should be good. Of course, you could always restore the hand pump!

Michael

Comment

What am I to do?
                                Make sure it has a working wind regulator to protect reservoir and reeds.
                                Casey

Comment

Working...
                                X