Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly acquired Mason & Hamlin 1200 3mp Liszt help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone told me of "Reed Organ Restorations" in Acworth, GA owned by Rod Fudge. Acworth is about 60 miles from my home. He was recommended to me by the Pres. of the AGO in GA. I have tried to contact him without luck. He does have a website and a facebook site but I have had no reply. I was also told to contact the "Reed Organ Society" but their contact info is not working. Anybody know anything about these?

Comment

Ask Rod Fudge how many of these style 1200's he has worked on.

Comment

I can not even get a hold of Mr. Fudge
        I can not even contact the Reed Organ Society.
        Last edited by myorgan; 01-20-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I have a couple of reeds not singing on the Swell division of my M&H. This is going to sound stupid of me but where are the Swell reed banks located? I have looked and looked and listened. I can not find them. Will I have to take the organ completely apart to find them? I also have the lowest C on the Great not singing. I took it out and cleaned it and then fiddled with it trying to get it to sound. I never could. It was singing a week or so ago.

Also, is there a way to make the Great quieter? With the shades closed it is still pretty loud. I would like for it to be at least usable during Communion or Funerals. It has a very nice Gamba and Diapason. The 16' Corno Dolce is soft enough. The 16' Corno and 16' Corno Dolce have their own Shade and it is made differently. The Swell and Choir have very soft stops (Hautbois, Aeolian Harp, Dulcet and Flute Dolce).

Another thing, there are a couple of reeds in the Aeolian Harp that aren't singing. I have tried to get them out to clean them and I just can not get them out. My reed puller is too large to go in the hole. I tried using a small nail with no luck. What can I do to get them out?

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Cearley,

No doubt with the reeds that are not sounding, it is probably a speck of dust lodged between the reed and the shank. I'm sorry, but I don't know where your Swell reeds are located. Have you tried finding the reeds as they are sounding?

To remove reeds, I use a reed puller (as I'm sure you do). With the failure of a nail, have you tried various sizes of crochet hooks? I've heard others have success with that method.

Hope this helps.

Michael

• SubBase
            SubBase commented
            Editing a comment
            The middle manual reeds are in the center of the action, you have to remove the keyboards to get to them. While you have it that far apart, you can vacuum up all the dust and debris as you put it back together. I'd recommend cleaning all the reeds while you're t this stage, it will correct most of the tuning issues and make the sound tremendously better.
            You need to file down an extra reed puller until it fits the Eolian reed cells. The EH reed pullers sent with M&H's are small.
            Casey

The sizes of M&H reed pullers.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	729455

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            So much for "one size fits all!" Thanks for the photo!

Michael

Michael, Casey, thank you for your replies. They are most helpful. I do have a reed puller. It is of the middle size. I have never seen another anywhere. I sure didn't realize they came in various sizes. The ones for my organ were long gone when I got it. I found mine at an antique store. Michael, a crochet hook might just work. I never thought of that even though my grandmother has several.

Casey, I was afraid that the Swell reeds were hidden in the center of the action. There was no other explanation for it. I sure do wish there were some schematics or diagrams of the innards available. That sure would help.

As for the dampening of the Great. Any thoughts?

Comment

• SubBase
            SubBase commented
            Editing a comment
            Let me correct myself. You can get to the 8ft set by taking off the pedal trackers, the pedal coupler (metal bars) and the pedal reed chest. That should let you lift the swell and see the reeds. The 4ft set is opposite the 8ft and the most buried.
            You may be able to make the front swell fit better. A customer had me "tone down" his 2MP M&H and I made a softwood baffle for the Corno (it was edged and lined with felt and had a row of 1/2" holes to let sound out). And a piece of felt & leather to sit over the Flute and Gamba in front. The leather I cut slots in to let air through. It balanced it better for his condo music space.
            Casey

Thank you Casey. That will help tremendously as to getting to the reeds.
          As for "toning down" the Great, those are interesting ideas. How thick was the felt on the baffle you put over the Flute and Gamba?

Comment

• SubBase
            SubBase commented
            Editing a comment
            It was cheap craft felt, but substantial packing leather on top.

I have made reed pullers from appropriately sized wire nails by filing the heads to fit the reed notches. One needs to attach a sturdy handle to the other ends though and nails tend to be a tad short so improvising is called for. I bent the longer ones for some sort of grip but one could thread the smaller ones for attachment of any kind of reciprocatingly (nice word) threaded handle.
          Nico
          "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Nico,

Could you use a spike and file down the head and/or shank to fit your needs?

Michael

Yes one could Michael, provided the shank is not hardened and has a diameter which would allow this. It is a good idea as it would have a built-in handle. If the shank is soft enough it could be hammered flat and bent at 90 degrees then filed to the appropriate profile. If one should use wire nails the handle ends could be filed with slits across and a suitable handle glued on with epoxy.
          Wonderful thisng one could devise when you have lots of time on your hand due to the lock-down...
          Nico
          "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• SubBase
            SubBase commented
            Editing a comment
            You can buy some mild steel rod around 4 or 5mm 3/16" and make up a puller the way they used to do.
            Casey

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I don't like about comments–I can't like them! Thanks, SubBase for a great idea, as usual.

Michael

I had not even thought of that Casey. Thank you

Comment

I have something new to ask. At the back end of the pedal is a screw where it attaches to the tracker that goes up the backside of the organ. This little screw has a tendency to back itself out of the hole on some of the pedal and disconnects from the tracker. One in particular is giving me fits. Is there anything I can do to keep the screw from backing out of the hole and still let the pedal and tracker move? Is there something that I could replace them all with that won't back itself out? This is a design flaw in my opinion that M&H should have changed.

Comment

• SubBase
              SubBase commented
              Editing a comment
              These are supposed to be pins not screws, they protrude from the bottom of the sticker about 3/8", otherwise it's hell to remove the rack of stickers to get to the rear action. The pedal backfalls should have enough weight at the other end to not drop off the pins.

Cearley, does the screw go into metal or wood? If it is wood, a little wood glue (very little) around the threads will hold it in place. If it is into metal you might want to use a little locktite but that is very permanent. If there is space, add a second nut to lock the screw in place - but somehow I suspect it is a wood screw.

Good luck!
            Nico

Comment

Casey, all that is there are these little screws. I thought pins would have been better. What kind of pins were supposed to be there? What would you suggest that I use?

Comment

Working...
              X