Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly acquired Mason & Hamlin 1200 3mp Liszt help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cearley
    replied
    Casey, all that is there are these little screws. I thought pins would have been better. What kind of pins were supposed to be there? What would you suggest that I use?

Leave a comment:

• SubBase
    commented on 's reply
    These are supposed to be pins not screws, they protrude from the bottom of the sticker about 3/8", otherwise it's hell to remove the rack of stickers to get to the rear action. The pedal backfalls should have enough weight at the other end to not drop off the pins.

• Organfella
    replied
    Cearley, does the screw go into metal or wood? If it is wood, a little wood glue (very little) around the threads will hold it in place. If it is into metal you might want to use a little locktite but that is very permanent. If there is space, add a second nut to lock the screw in place - but somehow I suspect it is a wood screw.

Good luck!
    Nico

Leave a comment:

• cearley
    replied
    I have something new to ask. At the back end of the pedal is a screw where it attaches to the tracker that goes up the backside of the organ. This little screw has a tendency to back itself out of the hole on some of the pedal and disconnects from the tracker. One in particular is giving me fits. Is there anything I can do to keep the screw from backing out of the hole and still let the pedal and tracker move? Is there something that I could replace them all with that won't back itself out? This is a design flaw in my opinion that M&H should have changed.

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I don't like about comments–I can't like them! Thanks, SubBase for a great idea, as usual.

Michael

• cearley
    replied
    I had not even thought of that Casey. Thank you

Leave a comment:

• SubBase
    commented on 's reply
    You can buy some mild steel rod around 4 or 5mm 3/16" and make up a puller the way they used to do.
    Casey

• Organfella
    replied
    Yes one could Michael, provided the shank is not hardened and has a diameter which would allow this. It is a good idea as it would have a built-in handle. If the shank is soft enough it could be hammered flat and bent at 90 degrees then filed to the appropriate profile. If one should use wire nails the handle ends could be filed with slits across and a suitable handle glued on with epoxy.
    Wonderful thisng one could devise when you have lots of time on your hand due to the lock-down...
    Nico

Leave a comment:

• SubBase
    commented on 's reply
    It was cheap craft felt, but substantial packing leather on top.

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Nico,

Could you use a spike and file down the head and/or shank to fit your needs?

Michael

• Organfella
    replied
    I have made reed pullers from appropriately sized wire nails by filing the heads to fit the reed notches. One needs to attach a sturdy handle to the other ends though and nails tend to be a tad short so improvising is called for. I bent the longer ones for some sort of grip but one could thread the smaller ones for attachment of any kind of reciprocatingly (nice word) threaded handle.
    Nico

Leave a comment:

• cearley
    replied
    Thank you Casey. That will help tremendously as to getting to the reeds.
    As for "toning down" the Great, those are interesting ideas. How thick was the felt on the baffle you put over the Flute and Gamba?

Leave a comment:

• SubBase
    commented on 's reply
    Let me correct myself. You can get to the 8ft set by taking off the pedal trackers, the pedal coupler (metal bars) and the pedal reed chest. That should let you lift the swell and see the reeds. The 4ft set is opposite the 8ft and the most buried.
    You may be able to make the front swell fit better. A customer had me "tone down" his 2MP M&H and I made a softwood baffle for the Corno (it was edged and lined with felt and had a row of 1/2" holes to let sound out). And a piece of felt & leather to sit over the Flute and Gamba in front. The leather I cut slots in to let air through. It balanced it better for his condo music space.
    Casey

• cearley
    replied
    Michael, Casey, thank you for your replies. They are most helpful. I do have a reed puller. It is of the middle size. I have never seen another anywhere. I sure didn't realize they came in various sizes. The ones for my organ were long gone when I got it. I found mine at an antique store. Michael, a crochet hook might just work. I never thought of that even though my grandmother has several.

Casey, I was afraid that the Swell reeds were hidden in the center of the action. There was no other explanation for it. I sure do wish there were some schematics or diagrams of the innards available. That sure would help.

As for the dampening of the Great. Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    So much for "one size fits all!" Thanks for the photo!

Michael
Working...
X