Seeking Taylor & Farley Melodeon information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Taylor & Farley Melodeon information

A while back I acquired a Taylor & Farley Melodeon in exchange for some piano work. This is a style:43, sn:4938 from 1869/70. 73 notes F-F. The case is in fantastic condition and everything works, but it does need some cleaning etc., and perhaps some new bellows since the ones that are on there are a bit, um, crisp for lack of a better term. I opened it up far enough to know that I should probably have some diagrams before I open it up any further. I am hoping that someone here will know of a resource for these diagrams, and perhaps some more info in the instrument itself. I'm considering this a summer project and then hope to find a good home for it. I look forward to any information that can be provided.

Thanks --

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA
    -- Geoff Sykes, RPT
    -- Los Angeles CA

Are you absolutely sure of the name? It reminds me of a builder, but I can't seem to recall the name right now (old age!).

Originally posted by Geoff S. View Post
    I'm considering this a summer project and then hope to find a good home for it.
    Your summer must last much longer than ours--the leaves are already turning and nights down in the low 50s!

Welcome to the Forum, and I look forward to your participation here regarding your organ. I'm not familiar with the name, though.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 10 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Michael --

Thanks for your reply.

Absolutely sure of the name. Here are some pics...

Click image for larger version

Name:	TandF-date-170812_sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	602966Click image for larger version

Name:	TandF-note_170812_sm.jpg
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	602967Click image for larger version

Name:	TandF-sn_170812_sm.jpg
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	602968
      -- Geoff Sykes, RPT
      -- Los Angeles CA

Comment

Absolutely sure of the name. Here are some pics...
        By jove, you're correct, Geoff! New one on me. Try this link, and click on Next to progress through the remainder of the organs in the Reed Organ Society Database with the name Farley (http://www.reedsoc.org/database/scro...ops=&fs=FARLEY). I hope this helps a little. Note, there may be more than one photo available, and they will be enumerated just over the photos.

Michael
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

Off to a good start. The last one in that selection is 99.9% exactly like the one I have. The only difference is the cloth behind the scrollwork below the keys on my is green and the lever on the right, (that does nothing on the one shown), is located on the left on mine, and it works.

http://www.reedsoc.org/database/scro...ops=&fs=FARLEY

compare with this unfortunately very low light image of mine...

Click image for larger version

Name:	TandF-front_140801sm.jpg
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	602969
          -- Geoff Sykes, RPT
          -- Los Angeles CA

Comment

So... Back to my original question. Can anyone direct me to some documentation on this instrument? Perhaps some blow-up drawings? I'd like to see what's on the inside before I actually take it apart, perhaps incorrectly. Would the Aunt Maude Series be of any value in this project?

Thanks --
            -- Geoff Sykes, RPT
            -- Los Angeles CA

Comment

Geoff,

Casey (SubBase) is our resident expert on pump organs, let me see if he can weigh in.

Michael
              So... Back to my original question. Can anyone direct me to some documentation on this instrument? Perhaps some blow-up drawings? I'd like to see what's on the inside before I actually take it apart, perhaps incorrectly. Would the Aunt Maude Series be of any value in this project?

Thanks --

Comment

Hi,
                There won't be any documentation on a particular make or model. With most restoration jobs, we try to match the materials and methods to the original fabric and craftsmanship. Some good general guidelines are at the "repair my reed organ" link at www.reedsoc.org and there is an illustrated DVD you can order.
                Melodeons, being quite elderly and sometimes primitive, can be more challenging than a later cabinet organ of a matured and efficient design.

Comment

Thanks to those who responded to my query. I've taken the time to view several of the threads here concerning repair and have picked up a lot of useful information. I now have several books to pick up, and I'll probably go with the the Aunt Maude CD as well. I've also decided that in spite of what I may think of the current condition of this instrument, it's probably going to take more work than I anticipated. I'm looking forward to it. I wonder if I'll be able to give it up after what I'm sure I'm going to have to put into it? I'm sure I'll be posting here asking questions as I go along. Thanks!
                  -- Geoff Sykes, RPT
                  -- Los Angeles CA

Comment

Update on this project: It's almost like this little organ was sitting there just waiting for the unfortunate Covid-19 pandemic to come along. The stay-at-home mandate gave me more than enough casual time to dig in to this project. I had the bellows rebuilt by a fellow PTG tech that does that sort of stuff. I have replaced all the gaskets, seals, felt pads and bumpers. I have cleaned all the reeds and appropriately lubricated all parts that needed it. I am honestly shocked at how nice this reed organ is. Every note, in both sets of reeds, plays and sounds sweet. (I found several that were mislabeled and subsequently in the wrong place, and two that didn't sound at all before and are now fine.) All the mechanics work and are now easy to move. The cabinet needs no work as it was already completely blemish and scratch free and looks great. I want to thank you folks on steering me to the right books and websites. Helped a lot. What I need now is a recommendation for an appraiser. I want to find out how much this wonderful instrument is now worth.
                    Thanks!
                    -- Geoff Sykes, RPT
                    -- Los Angeles CA

Comment

Working...
                    X