No announcement yet.

What to do with an Earhuff pump organ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad... I saw you posted in on CL over the weekend and would have gone for it if I didn't have too many other projects. (And I wouldn't have put a synthesizer in it).

Comment

PM me if you want it. I just couldn't quite bear to trash it yet, so I tried advertising it one last time; this time for free. I did get interest from one guy who wanted to put an electronic pedal organ setup in it, but it was too narrow for him. Even that would be better than sending it to its grave. I do still have the organ in the garage and can help you load it if you want it...

Comment

It would indeed be a pity to euthenize that beautiful instrument, particularly since the history is well known. Do you not have a musical instrument dealer nearby where it can find a temporary stand and marked for sale? Now I am sorry to live a zillion miles away, I'da taken it in a wink!

Luck!
        Nico
        "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

There's zero chance of any instrument dealer in southern California taking this organ - even if it were fully restored. My difficulty in selling it for even $100 (or so far even giving it away) illustrates that there is no market and those dealers are paying a lot of money for every square foot in their shops. I used to be a retailer and you could easily spend $1000 to give away this organ through a retail dealership.

Also, I have a friend whose wife was in the antique business. She died and he has been trying to sell out her stock and close their two shops. It is taking a very long time even at close-out prices. He says there is simply no market for antiques. Young people these days want the newest thing and will dump things even a couple of years old to get the newest thing. They don't buy old. And the old people are retired, downsizing and getting rid of their antiques. It's a tough time to move even a 100+ year old organ.

Hopefully synthchaser will decide he wants it before I am forced to toss it. Right now I am still able to squeeze around it as I paint long, narrow trim boards. Next it is back to cabinetry and I will need the space it is occupying.

Comment

There are quite a few on Ebay with a few watching so showing interest.
            https://www.ebay.com/bhp/pump-organ
            yours looks as good if not better than most of them.
            Warren.

Comment

Hang on to it for as long as you can. There may be someone on this Forum located close enough to warrant the trip to collect it. I sincerely hope that this beautiful piece of antiquity will be preserved for the generations that follow us.
              Luck!
              Nico
              "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Well I have some surprising good news. As I mentioned above, I reposted it on CL for free. And I renewed the posting when it expired. I'm almost done with the trim and the organ was just days away from the dump. Then I got an email and the guy come to get it this afternoon. He owns a wedding venue built around a really old farmhouse and he wants it for a set prop for wedding photos. He is going to restore the carcasse, but said he had no plans to make it functional again. When I told him that the bellows had been restored in 1970 and was still in good shape except for the mouse hole he did raise an eyebrow. I think that's probably the easiest part of the restoration so he might even do that.

Coincidentally, my wife has been bugging me to open a stuck drawer in another old antique she has. I finally did it this morning and found that all of the missing parts to the organ were in there. So it should be fully restorable with all original parts. Timing is everything.

Whew! I'm glad we were able to send this on to a good home. And my wife can be happy about its future rather than glum.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Comment

Well done! Thanks for the feedback and for sharing the sentiments to keep this piece of antiquity among the living!

Nico

Comment

Working...
                  X