Clear All

• George Woods - on the way!

ETA Saturday morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4609.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	615330

First issues to address: dropped pedal, two keys which don't speak. I'll keep the forum updated. Boy will I keep the forum updated.

What's the first thing you'd do once the organ is in place? Vacuuming/dusting inside and out?

The journey begins. Onward through the fog!
    Tom M.

I start by taking it all apart outside to make sure there are no mouse nests or droppings before I bring it in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by nutmegct View Post
      What's the first thing you'd do once the organ is in place? Vacuuming/dusting inside and out?
      Pray real hard! Seriously, congratulations, and it's great to see it go to a good home where it will be taken care of.

I look forward to your updates.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Great going Tom!

After you have carefully done what Casey suggests, and got the beast inside your inner chambers, I would say start with the dropped treadle. The two silent notes are probably just debris inside the innards there - chances are that you may have to clean all of the reed cells, surrounds and the reeds themselves. In this progressive way you can see if there are more serious work to be done to the feeders/bellows. My guess is that you may have to do that, but perhaps later as with working treadles and enough wind, you will get a good idea of the sound the old gal is capable of. That cabinet surely looks very nice, good example of the excellent workmanship of our predecessors.

Do let us know about your progress so that wee too can share your excitement.

Nico
        "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Thanks gents.

Once it's here, is there a guide to "opening the George Woods cabinet"? For example, getting to the treadle works, accessing the reed sets, etc.? Does the lower front just fall forward after twisting an obvious knob or two? Can I access the reed sets and various mechanicals by removing a back panel?

I don't want to wreck it in the first 24 hours!

Tom M.
          PS - is there a source for those missing key fronts?

Comment

Originally posted by nutmegct View Post
            Once it's here, is there a guide to "opening the George Woods cabinet"? For example, getting to the treadle works, accessing the reed sets, etc.? Does the lower front just fall forward after twisting an obvious knob or two? Can I access the reed sets and various mechanicals by removing a back panel?

I don't want to wreck it in the first 24 hours!

PS - is there a source for those missing key fronts?
            Dropped treadlemay actually come off like the front of an upright piano over the pedals. If a strap is broken, it's a fairly easy fix. If it's a broken spring, well, that's a bit more involved.
            Reed lintMissing reed fronts
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Working...
            X