Where have all the pumpers gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have all the pumpers gone?

This Forum is far too quiet for my liking. What happened to the adventurous who sometimes stumble over, and notice that old dusty piece sitting in the corner over there? Come on guys, lets have some stuff about what you're up to.

Me and my big mouth... haven't been up to much myself lately - at least as far as reed organs go...
    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

What success have you had with restoring these reed organs ? I've seen a few examples of these on youtube and they compare quite favorably with some of the early electric organs

Comment

• Organfella
      Organfella commented
      Editing a comment
      Restoring an old reed organ back to life is a thrilling and very satisfying experience. The sheer privilege of working on something often more than a hundred years old is unequaled by many things we do in life. I have had success with every single one I worked on. Admittedly I am not much into restoring the outside of the cabinets to their original splendor but I generally do get the innards working properly. Even built one from bits and pieces I scrounged off a discouraged potential restorer some time back. Yes I have had success and would highly recommend any reed organ project to a serious wannabe restorer. Go for it!
      Nico

The worst part of the silence is when a new organ owner asks restoration questions, and gets a reply from one (or maybe two if lucky) person - often which doesn't answer the question. One or two people say "you need to do something" - but few say exactly what to do or how to do it.

I was so proud of the six month ordeal I spent restoring my 1874 George Woods. Take a look: 69 views - not one comment.

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...e-woods-on-ros

Man, talk about disappointing and discouraging. The reed organ Facebook page has lots of activity - but mostly photos of "finds", but few technical questions and answers. For someone new to reed organs like me, it's really tough to be ignored. Same on the old Yahoo reed organ list.

Tom M.

Comment

• Organfella
      Organfella commented
      Editing a comment
      Tom, if I am guilty of not encouraging you adequately then I am truly sorry! I know that often I let opportunities to comment pass, not that I do not want to, but invariably because I do not have the correct answer. Perhaps the time has come for me to say "I don't know" rather than to hope some other, more knowlegable soul will give the correct answer.
      So again, please do not be discouraged, I am sure everyone on this Forum will agree that we all need encouragement sometimes, perhaps some more than others. And again, sorry if I have been insensitive enough to give you the wrong idea.
      Lets go get those old 'uns singing again!
      Nico

I will admit, the Forum has been a bit quiet lately. Of course, some of that is surely due to the requisite software change to keep the Forum safe and reliable for its users.

I'm actually waiting for spring to finish my garage I began building last year. The winter weather set in before I could get it insulated, heated, or electrified. Once completed, I plan to move most of the organs I have to the garage, and there will be plenty of space to work on them.

So, that's what I'm up to!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

• Organfella
      Organfella commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael, I built a garage when I extended my house some 12 years ago with the intention of using it for cars - famous last words. Right now it is crammed with about 15 organs none of which I can readily get to. Only the one closest to the door is kind of accessible. I hope you will arrange your organs better than I did when you get to the moving part...
      Nico

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll post plenty of photos!

Michael

I'm still pumping away on mine, just nothing new to report. It's really not in too terrible a shape, so I've been busy with other instrument refurbishment projects higher on the list, heh.
    1914 Estey Parlor Organ. 196x Allen T-12a "Special" (MIDI VPO project). Digital piano. Various guitars. Autoharp. Banjo. Bowed saw. Musical Cat.

Comment

• Pipeorganbuilder
      Pipeorganbuilder commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been covered up with pipe organ work for the last four months. Should not complain but it has keep me from getting any of my projects done.
      There are four really nice reed organs in the back of my shop that is on my list of things to do when the weather gets warmer. Will post photos when I can get to them.

Michael

Thanks you fellows for reacting to my stir. Now I am happy to know that all is well in the pumping fraternity - except for our dear friend Tom (Nutmegt) whom I trust will not be too disappointed with us.
    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Ya' know guys, you're not limited to posting only about *yourself*. Some of the requests for help from others have little or no response - I try to help when I can. Just subscribe to this Reed Organ section, and you'll get an email when a new thread is created. That way the new guys don't feel neglected.

Tom M.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom,

For myself, I can say I couldn't respond to your posts because you were asking questions I didn't know the answer to. Perhaps when I get to repairing my organs I can gain the knowledge and expertise to help others. For now, though, I limit myself to what I know–which isn't much. Yes, I have several pump organs, but alas, haven't had the time to effect repairs over playing time.

Michael

Patience is the key, Tom... As you know, I've gotten great help on the old Kimball, but it took a while, and it covered a lot of ground. The thing is to not *expect* a prompt answer, basically anywhere on a forum, but be pleased when help happens. That and keep stirring the pot...
      -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
      -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
      -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
      -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
      -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Well, I had started some cleanup and repairs assessment on a recently acquired Estey reed organ, was making good progress, then saw my Hammond RT3 across the music room looking a bit neglected. Been playing the Hammond every night and really enjoying it too. Will get back to the Estey, eventually.
        Hammond RT-3, Estey circa 1903, Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano, Fender Rhodes Mark I 73 stage piano.

Comment

Working...
        X