Needham 18 stop parlor organ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needham 18 stop parlor organ

I'm considering traveling quite a distance to purchase a Needham 18 stop parlor organ that is missing the top. The owner is asking $50.
    The only thing I'm really interested in is the musical quality/capability of the instrument. I have never heard or played a Needham reed organ. Is there someone out there who is familiar with this manufacturer and can give me some advice on how these organs stack up against an Estey, Mason & Hamlin, etc.? Speaking stops are as follows: 16' Bourdon, 16' Sub Bass, 4' Principal, 4' Hautboy, 8' Cremona, 8' Melodia, 8' Dulciana, 8' Echo, 16' Saxophone, 2' Piccolo, 8' Clarionet, 8' Vox Celeste, 4' Violina, 4' Flute. I appreciate any help you can give and thank you for your time.

Hi - That sounds interesting. There are some other Needhams owned by forum members. Here's a recent thread.

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...york-questions

Rodney, of YouTube and Organ Forum fame, and ROS supporter, worked on a humongous one a while back.

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...ject-in-itself

There may be others, too. (Here's one on YouTube.) Good luck!

-- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
    -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
    -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Matran40,

If the top doesn't dissuade you, I'd go for it. Almost certainly it will need some sort of repair, however, with that stoplist, who could resist?!!!

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Thank you both for your input and the links. Hearing one will help a great deal. As for your comment Michael, that's what I was thinking, but then as I read it over again it looked like there a number of derived stops. So, I could count 3 full ranks and 1/2 rank 2' with 4 "soft"/derived stops. Do you think that's what it is, or are the double 8' and double 4', two individual full ranks with no soft stops? Of course, I realize Having the full 16' and 2' in the treble is a huge plus. It would then rival my Estey chapel organ.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know enough about Needham organs to comment intelligently, however, I did wonder the same as you did about the "derived" stops. My curiosity was if there was some sort of coupler mechanism to allow for the higher and lower octaves. It also struck me it would be a quite complicated to create multiple coupler systems in an organ with so many pitches needing the octave coupler(s). I guess I'll never know unless you purchase it!

Michael

Any reed organ with that stop arrangement for $50 is a steal, even if it does, and it surely will, need some repair. The only consideration would be the "travelling quite a distance" in order to get the beast. If one were to spend $200 to get a $50 organ and still have to repair it might border on a situation for serious consideration. If it were me, well, I'd jump at it simply because I am crazy about these old 'uns.

I'd say go grab it if the distance is not too much distance.

Nico
        "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

The only thing that could have made it better was a bass 2ft. Is the coupler up-only? I'd say get it, anything with a treble 2ft is a keeper.
          Casey

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen! (So be it!)
        Working...
        X