Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cipher on two manual and pedal reed organ (Holt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cipher on two manual and pedal reed organ (Holt)

Can anyone help? I have a cipher on the swell of my two manual and pedal Holt Reed Organ. I have partially dismantled the organ to see if I could see what the problem is and there is a rod which is not springing back up to the same position as the others in the top of the swell action. I have uploaded pictures. I can't see how to gain access to this part to investigate the problem further. Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Keith

I think you need to gain access to the windchest and pallet valves therein. Most likely is a set of a dozen or more screws around the perimeter that secure the top of the swell chest into the equalizer bellows. Then you will be able to determine why the pallet valve isn't returning. If the small dowel/pitman is simply stuck with a bit of debris, this may be remediable from above, if you have a strong vacuum that can suck out the bit of trash from the pitman's trace.

Comment

Hello Keith. Just curious - the picture showing part of the bellows suggests that this is a pressure organ. Those are nice and they tend to be capable of a slightly higher volume. Could you post some more pictures? Thanks.
      Hope you get the ciphering cleared up. It may produce a bit of work to get fixed but would really be worth the effort. Luck!
      Nico
      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• SubBase
        SubBase commented
        Editing a comment
        The equalizer is extended at rest, which indicates suction. Pressure equalizers are closed at rest.
        Casey

Interesting. Thanks Casey. And to my limited experience also an interesting design., I hope to hear some sounds soon.

Nico
      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Thank you for your reply (@SubBase). I had to remove the sound board from the bellows to gain access to the pallet valves (the offending one had slipped to one side and needed an adjustment of the pallet spring).

Comment

Dear Nico,
          It is an English reed organ which uses suction.

Comment

Working...
          X