Rebuilding a Sherlock-Manning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding a Sherlock-Manning

I thought that there may be some people interested in my progress on the Sherlock Manning, and I thought I would put up some updates every now and then on how it is going. It is going into a Estey Z-56 case. Please note this is not 'original' in a lot of ways, I am simply wanting to bring this back to as close to original as possible but being creative too! It is also intended to encourage someone who might feel a bit daunted by the state of their organ, but realise, there is more than one way to do things! I will try to put some up every now and then.
    Any ideas on what one might call it? A S-M in a Estey Artist case, with a M&H keyboard and a Bell coupler, obviously much more to come...

Comment

What to call it? How about "The Eclectic"!

Joshua - you are doing fantastic work on these instruments. How did you first get interested in them, and who was your first "organ restoration" teacher?

Best wishes for continued good health to you and your family.
      Tom in Connecticut

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
        Valiant Farmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Tom,
        Thanks for the response! I was sort of thinking of a conglomeration of names of parts being used, but thanks!
        My Grandad was the church pipe organist at our church for over 60 years, and behind the pipe organ was a little pump organ, a George Woods. About three years ago I asked for it and they gave it to me, Before that we only played the piano. It was around that time that we bought a restored 11 stop Estey as well, and it was clearly GOD's timing, as our family was going through a very difficult time, and the organs were a healing balm, and it has grown from there. A family friend of ours, a pipe organ builder, taught me quite a few things, and he supplies me with felt and leather, but I am trying to find my own sources. I will see if I can put up a pic of our 2MP Bell, it is on that organ that I work on pedal bass practice!
        Our family operates a firewood business, so we are allowed to keep on delivering firewood, and in the evenings I work on this new project! I am planning on modifying the case so it will fit in our Toyota high-top Hiace for the monthly singing at the rest home (which obviously has been cancelled with total lockdown!)
        Our family is well, hope yours is too.
        Joshua in New Zealand
        PS sorry for the delay in response, I would have responded sooner but each time the computer crashed...

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	725281
      Photo of my Bell,
      6 ranks, 3 in the bass (16, 8 and 4) 3 in the treble (2, 8 and 4/16). Great to Pedal, S - G, octave coupler
      Diapason/Melodia has the double pallet valve action like Rodney's Berlin and speak into qualifying tubes.
      I have gone over it, and I cannot believe how identical it is in construction to Rodney's Doherty Cathedral!

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice instrument! I have to admit, I'm jealous.

Michael

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Pump organs can have pedals? What!?

• Valiant Farmer
        Valiant Farmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Philip. Yes there are a lot of pump organs that have pedals! Go to Rodney Jantzi's YouTube channel, search Doherty Cathedral to see him playing it. It is 100% foot or lever pumped, and operated the same way this Bell does. You'd be surprised how amazing it sounds!

Joshua - you wrote " ... as our family was going through a very difficult time, and the organs were a healing balm ..."

That applies to many of us.

Isaiah 41:10
      Tom M.

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
        Valiant Farmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, that is a beautiful verse! One I particularly love is Psalm 91, starting with "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the Shadow of the Almighty". Something sound to live off in these times!
        GOD's Word (the Bible) has not and will never go out of date!
        Have finished dismantling the stop board for restoration.
        Joshua
        Last edited by Valiant Farmer; 04-06-2020, 03:58 AM.

Just got the bass and treble coupler installed this evening. I have the links to lift them sorted out and only need installing!
      What is the best way to remove rust off links without wire wheeling them?

Comment

Hi Joshua - if it's a coating of powdery rust, I've had good luck using turpentine (or paint thinner) and steel wool. Actually ends up looking like new.

Tom M.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I second the steel wool (0000 ga.).

Michael

• Valiant Farmer
          Valiant Farmer commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you - will try that!

This evening got into the "Organ Chamber" to have a look at what to do next. I decided to look at the bellows. They seem to be lined with some vinyl/cloth and I decided to lift the edges to replace the valves which didn't work well.
        Next job is levelling the keys...a very large task - I made up some pitmans and used some from a parts organ. The joys of starting something from scratch! I had to remove all the coupler buttons and reglue them a bit farther down. Here is where a large file comes in handy!!!

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Valiant Farmer
          Next job is levelling the keys...a very large task - I made up some pitmans and used some from a parts organ. The joys of starting something from scratch! I had to remove all the coupler buttons and reglue them a bit farther down. Here is where a large file comes in handy!!!
          Your project isn't something for the faint of heart!!! Wouldn't levelling the keys be something that is done inside the chest with the springs instead of the pitmans? Curious minds and all that! I've never done it, so just asking.

Michael

• Valiant Farmer
          Valiant Farmer commented
          Editing a comment
          The pallet valves are held tightly in place with the pallet springs, and the only adjustment for levelling is to adjust the length of the pitmans. I had all of the on the long side, as it is easier to shorten them then lift them with card discs glued on...
          In a Pipe organ the keys would probably be pivoting in the centre, like a piano; but most 1 manual Reed organs hinge on the back of the keys and push the pitmans maybe 1/3 to the rear.
          I'll add a picture of the pitmans in relation to the keys tonight. Hopefully that will help.

Hi Joshua. Now we know what the Organ Chamber is - it's your workshop!

I remember leveling the keys on my George Woods. Even that simple single keyboard was a challenge: I'd never know when it was true unless I re-assembled it, as parts of the action would slightly alter the angles when re-assembled. Can't remember why.

You're an embodiment of Job 14:7 - bringing the tree back to life.

Tom M.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Tom,

I wonder how many people walked by those (presumably plural) trees and never gave a thought what they would turn into, or how much musical pleasure they would bring people?

It reminds me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2BWrmNhyXU

Michael

• nutmegct
          nutmegct commented
          Editing a comment
          Michael - thanks for that link. Now *there* is some creativity!

Many a wooden reredos was carved from trees which once pointed directly toward heaven.

Tom M.

• Valiant Farmer
          Valiant Farmer commented
          Editing a comment
          That was quite some setup! Thanks for passing on the link.
          I am a qualified tree feller and arborist, so I spend a lot of time with trees! We mill some, too, and we milled the wood for the Organ Chamber, which is not yet complete, but at least usable! This is where the name "Organ Chamber" comes from (after going thru and discarding many names...)-

3 - And he brought me thither, and, behold, there was a man, whose appearance was like the APPEARANCE OF BRASS (reeds are made out of brass!) and, and a measuring reed; and he stood in the gate.
          5 - And behold a wall on the outside of the house round about, and in the man's hand a measuring reed of six cubits long by the cubit and an hand breadth: so he measured the breadth of the building, one reed; and the height, one reed.
          6 - Then came he unto the gate which looketh toward the east, and went up the stairs thereof, and measured the threshold of the gate, which was one reed broad; and the other threshold of the gate, which was one reed broad.
          7 - And EVERY LITTLE CHAMBER was ONE REED LONG, and ONE REED BROAD; and between the little chambers were five cubits; and the threshold of the gate by the porch of the gate within was ONE REED.
          8 - He measured also the porch of the gate within, one reed.
          Ezekiel 40 KJV

Thank you for your encouragement Tom!

Joshua - here's what I learned from Jim Tyler: Quotation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	leveling.png
Views:	162
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	726597

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
          Valiant Farmer commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. Since I am starting from scratch I need to level them first somewhat or else I wont be able to position the stopboard etc. I will definitely follow those guidelines though!

Tonight's update...
        I lifted both of the feeders and replaced the valves with new leather that I cut out of a leather jacket. They strips were too thin and flexible, so I glued strips of cardstock over the holes as shown in pic 2, so I can have the benefit of thin leather with the stiffness of the thick leather! The bellows operate like new now!
        Very happy with it so far - a lot of work to come, but it will be worth it!
        Joshua
        Last edited by Valiant Farmer; 04-10-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Here is a short video of the Sherlock Manning, sorry for the poor quality.

Comment

Whoa! Bravo on the progress! I remember the first photos, and wondered if it would ever sing again.

I see you pumping fast toward the end; is there some air leakage? I remember some experienced folk here once told me that the need for fast pumping is often the sign of some gaps/splits in the air system.

Also, the right treadle strap seems loose when the treadle comes up. Does that need adjusting/replacement? or perhaps the return spring is weak? (Or is it just my ancient eyes?)

Happy Easter to you and your family.
            Tom M.
            Χριστὸς ἀνέστη

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
              Valiant Farmer commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! I wasn't thinking of making it sing again, was looking for reeds, and thought I'd use some reeds, and thought it was a Karn, then I remembered that I had a SM stopboard from the same place, then I got the Estey case with bellows in it, and I thought, "Why not try?"
              The action is not screwed down or even sealed by leather. Yes there are some splits in the system, but they will have to wait for now.
              Yes the R/H strap is loose - good spotting! I wondered if you'd notice! Yes it is a weak spring.
              GOD's blessings to you and your family!
              Joshua

Joshua, well done! Beautiful sound - just like the old Sherlock-Manning should sound. Keep up the good work. You will never be sorry!

Nico
            "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
              Valiant Farmer commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! A question - is it a "Chapel organ", as in, will the sound fill a large room easily, or is it a parlour organ, designed to fill a small room?
              BTW, the Bassoon reeds weren't even installed then!
              Joshua

• Organfella
              Organfella commented
              Editing a comment
              It looks like a parlor organ. While the volume is quite deep, it will probably be a little light for a chapel.
              Nico

Update for today - not a huge amount done, but sometimes you can labour for hours and not notice much difference...I screwed down the cheek-plates and put the stopboard on. Then I painted the stopboard with Methylated spirits and the old shellac went tacky! It looks amazing!
            Who think that the black cheek-plates look out of place?
            We think that someone might get a fright if they open this Estey Artist and find it says Sherlock Manning! So far, so good, as far as its looks go! A long way to go, as I need to make up a lid as well, but I'm getting ahead of myself...
            Joshua

Comment

• Organfella
              Organfella commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank for the pictures. The basic cabinet reminds me a lot of my one. It is sturdy and well built albeit compressed wood had been used in places on mine. I also had to manufacture a new set of feet as the originals were eaten beyond salvage by beetles.
              Nico

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              That's quite the Frankenorgan you have there! I don't think I would be disturbed by the black keycheeks. It might be out of place with a wooden stopboard rather than black, but I wouldn't complain with the extra wood. Are you planning to use a pipe top or regular top?

Michael
          Working...
          X