No announcement yet.

Rebuilding a Sherlock-Manning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much happening now as I've got a 4wd to replace CV boots on, a truck with a blown engine and a tractor with a busted gearbox...all these rank high on the priority list!
    I've got a piano front I'll cut down to make the front lid out of. If I'm very careful the excess on each side is enough to make cheekplates out of. I sanded it down and put one coat of shellac on, and it brightened it up, but I'm not convinced it will work on this veneer.
    Edit - another option is a piano lid, I'm not fixed on one idea so much I can't change!
    Last edited by Valiant Farmer; 04-15-2020, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• Organfella
      Organfella commented
      Editing a comment
      Its bootiful! Lovely wood.
      Nico

Next task is levelling the keyboard. I installed two mute hinges on the ends of the frame, and with the screws removed, I can lift it up, level the pitman and lower it down and test!
    How does one go about painting stops? I have semi gloss black enamel paint, do you brush it on, then sand it down later? The stops are all pretty rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Valiant Farmer View Post
      How does one go about painting stops? I have semi gloss black enamel paint, do you brush it on, then sand it down later? The stops are all pretty rough.
      If the stops have a good base, you can simply paint them, however, the sanding should at least come first. It allows the paint to adhere better. You may even wish to put a base coat of a primer on the knobs. I suspect the paint was sprayed on originally rather than brushed on.

Do the stops have labels? If so, you may be able to cut circles from a breakfast cereal box to keep paint from leaking over on the labels. However, frog tape would probably work better.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
        Valiant Farmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that! I was meaning painting, then sanding the paint smooth, then shellac.
        No labels at all! I will be needing some! Would it work to engrave celluloid tops to use for labels?
        Joshua

The 4WD and tractor are fixed, so now I can do some levelling! I have got the first 3 or 4 naturals on each end levelled. This is the process...
      - Mark the pitman to be levelled.
      - Hinge up the keyboard.
      - Remove the pitman.
      - File a bit off the end.
      - Reinstall, lower the keyboard and check with the level.
      - If level, go onto the next one! If not, refile it until it is!
      The reason I am lowering the lower end of the pitman is because I reglued all the coupler buttons onto the pitmans in a jig that set them a certain distance from the top. This was necessary as all of them were to high, and all were unequal lengths. The pitmans, donated by some friends, were from a miscellaneous box of parts.

Comment

• SubBase
        SubBase commented
        Editing a comment
        You need to have a consistent 3/8" (9mm) key dip when you're done. Or the valves willnot open far enough to get an in-tune sound, or develop tone, or speak promptly. After that, you can regulate the coupler.
        Casey

• Valiant Farmer
        Valiant Farmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for that Casey. I have been aiming for about 10mm key dip, and it is about 9 1/2 to 10mm. I like the keys slightly lower, but twice that is too deep! We have a Karn parlour, and it has probably 6-7 mm dip, very shallow. Would that account for quieter sound?
        Joshua

Hi Joshua - in the first photo you posted (when you started this thread), the keyboard doesn't have those two "dropped" keys. But in the first photo today, there are two very low keys. Is that a new problem? or just a temp issue while working on the keyboard?
      Thanks.
      Tom M.

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
        Valiant Farmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Tom,
        You may have noticed in photo 3 that I removed a couple pitmans which would explain that issue! There are a few I have juggled around for testing purposes.
        Joshua

I stripped everything down to the base again so I can start the rebuild. Mutes (some broken or missing), reeds to be cleaned (an understatement!) and SB to have a hole cut out for it and build links to pallet valves. Etc!
      The front looks like it says "Karn". The outlay certainly looks like one! Except the Sub Bass slots. Number stamped on rear of reed pan is nine-thousand and something. Any thoughts?
      Onto the truck engine starting tomorrow morning so will have less time for this!
      Joshua

Comment

Hi all,
        I am picking up this 19 stop Sherlock Manning tomorrow, I am hoping that I can duplicate a lot of parts like linkages, swells and mutes off it! All the stop labels are there so that is a plus.
        Anyone have any thoughts on the previous post, is it a Karn do you think?
        Joshua

Comment

Hi Joshua. Take a look at this: Two of Rodney's *very* detailed step by step Karn restorations.

http://www.rodneyjantzi.com/karn/index.htm

http://www.rodneyjantzi.com/karn2/index.htm

On each page, choose Pictures for more closeup photos than I ever thought possible!

Be well.
          Tom M.

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
            Valiant Farmer commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Tom,
            Thanks for that. Trust me, I have gone over all of Rodney's Karn pictures dozens of times! They are extremely detailed and very useful(thanks Rodney!). The last thing that has me is the "Karn" on the front of the reed pan, and the Sub Bass slots on the rear. I have one stopboard with 21 stops saying Sherlock Manning etc and I have the action for that in terrible shape, but I also have this. I am hoping this new organ will unlock some mysteries involved that I cant work out!
            Joshua

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Joshua,

Could one item be from a donor organ and combined on the same organ? Just a thought.

Michael

• Valiant Farmer
            Valiant Farmer commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Michael, I am not sure. I am hoping some expert on S-M's and Karn's will be able to tell me! The 'Karn' has been signed on the front, but the other thing is the slots for the SB...

Originally posted by Valiant Farmer View Post
          Hi all,
          I am picking up this 19 stop Sherlock Manning tomorrow, I am hoping that I can duplicate a lot of parts like linkages, swells and mutes off it! All the stop labels are there so that is a plus.

Joshua
          Eh, looks just like my one. If I was anywhere closer and considering you intend to pirate some parts from this one I'd be tempted to come and steal those cofe balls and the candle stands which are missing on mine...
          Nico
          "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
            Valiant Farmer commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not planning on parting it...at least not right now, I haven't seen the insides yet...only duplicating parts for the one I am working on now! If you are interested though I am happy to email over some dimensions and photos and you could turn some. Yours has two more stops then this one tho.

Great idea Joshua. Sorry I misinterpreted your comments thinking that you want to scavenge parts from this one which looks to be in good complete shape and worth restoring. I'd welcome the measurements of the balls but especially the candle plates and bases. Mine has the pillars but the plates are missing. My one has a decoration beam on top fitting between the upper ball bases and resembling a corona. Also has 21 stops but the cabinet and the wood grain is the same.
          Nico
          "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• Valiant Farmer
            Valiant Farmer commented
            Editing a comment
            So its condition is -
            Weak bellows
            Most of the mutes are seized open
            Very hard to pull stops
            And a very bad case of cobwebs and dust inside!

It has a nice finished chapel organ back, which is falling apart!
            But overall it is in good condition, so I am happy! The SB is larger then I expected, so that is good.

I had to replace both of the bottom feet on my one, some bugs have eaten it and reduced it to powder held together by the laquer. I particularly like the treadles that can retract and fold into the cabinet, very neat feature - and then the sound which is, as said, similar to that of the Karn.

I thought I had previously attached a picture of my one after restoration but it must have been on another thread. Note the lily white feet, like a kitten, as it sits on its dolly. Darket wood might have been more appropriate but that was all I had. I rebuilt the bellows and feeders completely after salvaging the cabinet which was in a delapidated form when I collected it from the previous owner. The cover of the keyboard is not missing, just lifted off for the picture.
          Nico
          Attached Files

Comment

This is my first attempt at linkage remanufacturing out of 4mm stainless steel rod, purchased 8 metres for a few dollars from a steel supply shop, forged with a bench vice and a hammer! About half are missing. So far so good, but I need to work out some issues with building them.

Comment

Working...
            X