Stops - Diapason Bass and Treble ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stops - Diapason Bass and Treble ?

Not sure where to search for this topic, so I thought I'd just start another thread here. On most Reed Organs, there are these two stops in the bass and treble, that appear to simply augment the existing primary 8' stops - for mine it's the Diapason in the Bass and the Melodia in the Treble - but both are labeled diapason bass and treble respectively.

I know this has been discussed before, but am I correct in stating that the sole purpose of these two stops is to increase the opening of the associated mutes for the respective reed sections in the interest of changing the tone somewhat?

Unfortunately, one of the beginner mistakes I made in disassembling the stop board was (yikes!) not thinking I should have MARKED where each of the wooden connectors belonged! And while everything generally works just fine (couplers, etc.), the BASS / TREBLE stops are pretty useless in their present re-assembled state. Short of trial and error, i'm not sure I can figure out how best to rectify this, short of calling the Adler Reed Organ support line, in Kentucky. I'm sure someone would answer if I sent in a telegram.

Attached is a photo evidencing the error of my ways.

thanks!
    Attached Files

Hi John,
    Typically Diapason and Melodia, regardless of how else they are marked, are foundation stops, and any others on the same linkage are borrowed. For your case, you will have two forks, one for Diapason Bass (stop #2 and #10), the other for Dulcet, Dulciana, or whatever it is (stop #3 and #9), the fork that goes deeper, will be the borrowed stop. It is supposed to open it partway.
    I hope this is helpful and not confusing!
    Joshua

Comment

Originally posted by John Edelmann View Post
      Short of trial and error, i'm not sure I can figure out how best to rectify this, short of calling the Adler Reed Organ support line, in Kentucky. I'm sure someone would answer if I sent in a telegram.
      John,

Too bad I didn't know of your issue yesterday when I was in Ohio.

If you can send a telegram through time, perhaps they'll answer. Until then, does anyone know if Adler was in any way related to Beckwith or Sears & Roebuck organs? On my Sears & Roebuck, the two stops you're referencing are the 2nd from the inside in the group of 4 stops at either end. Obviously, the Diapason Bass would be on the left-hand side.

To find out for sure, why not check the listings of Adler pump organs in the Reed Organ Database? If you find your model number inside your organ, I believe you can also narrow your search if you include the model number. OTOH, not many reed organ owners know the model number of their organs.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Working...
      X