Help identifying the estey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying the estey

I have an opportunity to get what looks like a nice Estey. The case work looks really nice and sounds like it’s lived inside so the guts should be nice and clean, though I don’t currently have a picture of it. I would like to identify the case and action number if at all possible before I buy so I have a better idea of what it might be worth. Unfortunately I don’t have a copy of the Estey reed organs on parade book but if someone on here does and would be willing to look it up, I’d be very grateful.

In looking in the Estey Reed Organs on Parade book, the organ appears to be a Style E case (page 67), but there are variations. The first variation is that the organ you have pictured has several more stops than the organ pictured in the book. Also, the top of the organ in the book has an arched canopy with short spindles on either end, with what appears to be a dish rail across the front of the canopy. In fact, the canopy appears to be totally different, with the exception that they are both arched canopies.

Hope that provides the information you need. I'm not sure if more stops equate to more sets of reeds, but that would certainly be a plus in my mind. From the book, the dimensions are: 6'1" high, 3'10" wide, 1'11" deep, and 405 lbs.

Michael

P.S. Further research leads me to believe it is an Style E-53 Console, which has 41/5 sets of reeds (inluding Harp Æolienne) with Sub-Bass, Octave Coupler, etc. The book says it has 5 octaves with sixteen stops, but it looks like your pictured organ has an extra–perhaps Vox Humaine. This model is the largest model with a 5-octave keyboard. Only two 6-octave keyboard models are larger.
    Last edited by myorgan; 08-27-2020, 04:06 PM. Reason: Add P.S.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
      In looking in the Estey Reed Organs on Parade book, the organ appears to be a Style E case (page 67), but there are variations. The first variation is that the organ you have pictured has several more stops than the organ pictured in the book. Also, the top of the organ in the book has an arched canopy with short spindles on either end, with what appears to be a dish rail across the front of the canopy. In fact, the canopy appears to be totally different, with the exception that they are both arched canopies.

Hope that provides the information you need. I'm not sure if more stops equate to more sets of reeds, but that would certainly be a plus in my mind. From the book, the dimensions are: 6'1" high, 3'10" wide, 1'11" deep, and 405 lbs.

Michael

P.S. Further research leads me to believe it is an Style E-53 Console, which has 41/5 sets of reeds (inluding Harp Æolienne) with Sub-Bass, Octave Coupler, etc. The book says it has 5 octaves with sixteen stops, but it looks like your pictured organ has an extra–perhaps Vox Humaine. This model is the largest model with a 5-octave keyboard. Only two 6-octave keyboard models are larger.
      Wow, thanks so much! From what I can make out, it sounds like your assessment is pretty accurate. There is a harp Aeolienne stop on the bass side, as well as the normal sub bass box, treble and bass couplers, and a vox Humana.
      Looks like the stop list on the organ from left to right is:
      bass coupler
      sub bass
      melodia? Hard to tell with this one
      dolce
      harp Aeolienne
      viola
      cornet echo
      cornettino
      flute forte
      vox Humana
      melodia forte
      vox Jubilante
      flute
      dulciana
      diapason
      bordon
      treble coupler

Sounds like this organ is definitely worth getting if the price isn’t too high. Especially if the guts are in as good shape as the case work. If I get it I’ll definitely send the serial up to the Estey museum to see what their records say.

Comment

Have you looked here? https://www.esteyorganmuseum.org/res...d-enthusiasts/

At one time I thought Estey had them listed, but it appears they've removed them now. Too bad.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

I have! That will be useful for dating the organ based on the serial number. But I’ve seen on there that they can help identify model and action, plus other info based on the serial number

Comment

Without further ado, go and grab it if it is within your reach!
            Nico
            "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• TPLeavitt
              TPLeavitt commented
              Editing a comment
              Working on that part. Apparently another buyer has gotten involved so trying to work it out with the seller. Here’s hoping

Could also be an "S" case. Maybe a 98 or 47 action
            I see one in the database with 17 stops.
            Attached Files

Comment

• TPLeavitt
              TPLeavitt commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Michael!

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Congratulations on picking up the organ. I knew you probably wouldn't go wrong with it.

The actions are:
              • Style E-30 – 2 five-octave sets of reeds. Nine stops total.
              • Style E-32 – 2 five-octave sets of reeds w/octave couplers. Eleven stops total.
              • Style E-38 – 3 five-octave sets of reeds plus Sub-Bass and Grand Organ. Thirteen stops total.
              • Style E-53 – described above in my post there.
              • Style E-72 & 78 – Same as Styles E-32 & 38, except there are 6-octaves of keys.

All of the above styles are additive–meaning they add to the prior style.

Michael

P.S. The case you have bears no resemblance to a Style S-47, and there is S-98 case in the Estey Organs on Parade book.

• TPLeavitt
              TPLeavitt commented
              Editing a comment
              Michael, E-53 definitely sounds like the closest match from the Estey book, the reed list is the closest I’ve seen. I guess the added Vox Humana was either a special order or something they did for export models.

Well, she came home with me. It’s in spectacular shape for the age. Doesn’t look like it’s been restored, or if it has it was a very professional job. The case work finish is impeccable.
            The guts are in similar shape. Only one reed needed some dust cleaned out to get it speaking again. A couple repairs are needed though. The hinge webbing for the rear damper needed to be redone so I’ve glued on some leather for now. Also, the soft stop dampers that Estey used need to be redone. One of the two is still there but the hinge webbing for it is long gone. I’ll need to remake the other one to bring it back to full condition.
            Anyway, on to the details. The serial number is 239895, and the setup date stamp says October 1891 so it’s 129 years old. Still not sure on the action number but this was an export model. The dealer tag on it is for Paterson sons & co of Glasgow, Scotland. The 17 stops control 2 dampers, the vox Humana fan, two octave couplers which both couple up an octave, the 13 note sub bass with wider scale reeds, and 4 full ranks of standard scale reeds. There are 257 reeds in total, all Estey’s single square rivet design, and they have a lot of combined power! The wind side is in excellent condition, with very little pumping needed to play at a good moderato even with full organ. Fortissimo is quite manageable as well but the sub bass will vibrate the whole organ, which is quite fun. I imagine Michaels guess of action 53 is probably right but I can’t find any examples of action 53 in the ROS database so I don’t know for sure. I’m going to email the Estey Organ Museum as soon as I’m done typing this and see what they can tell me about this specific instrument.

Comment

Well, congratulations! It is rare to find an old'un like that in good to very good condition. It is always good to hear when a beautiful instrument of yesteryear finds a good new home and I am sure you will never be sorry that you have gone through the trouble to get it. If it has lasted that well over more than a century, with a little TLC it will probably outlast all of us once more!

Cannot resist this one: Since it was destined to end up in Glasgow, have you looked carefully for the bagpipes rank in there?

Enjoy that one, she's worth it!

Nico
              "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• TPLeavitt
                TPLeavitt commented
                Editing a comment
                No bagpipe rank, though the harp aeolienne sounds a lot like a French accordion!
                And I definitely agree with you, it’s amazing it’s in such good condition and could easily last the rest of my life time. I doubt I’m going to ever regret getting this one, it’s a beauty!

Well the Estey continues to be a gem! The reeds needed some cleaning, which is on going, as there was quite a build up of soot and dust on the tips of the tongues throwing off the tuning especially on the flute rank.
              Of interest, I’ve found that this organ is tuned quite interestingly. It’s tuned to A-456, which I believe is the same as A# for A-440 tuning. I wonder why they picked that frequency for the tuning or if there’s even a reason for it. Either way, it’s a beautiful instrument and has quite a nice tone to it!
              I have made some minor repairs though since getting it home. A deep cleaning with some Murphy oil soap was badly needed, there was a lot of dust in the back. The webbing for the rear damper hinge had also broken so that was fixed with some new canvas glued on.
              The biggest repair was one of the soft stop dampers needed to be replaced. One was still there so it was easy to replicate. I didn’t have any spruce on hand but found a piece of red oak that I think worked quite nicely. Took a bit of work on the table saw followed by a hand plane to bevel one of the edges. The way the dampers work is really pretty clever. They’re attached to the mutes with canvas hinges, but the angles on the dampers are such that they get lifted when you open the full stop instead of the half stop. It’s definitely more effective than just barely cracking open the mute, I can see why Estey lasted so long as was also so expensive. The Style E was $340 in 1891 compared to $45 for the Beatty in 1884 and $38 for my Beckwith from 1905.

Comment

Working...
              X