Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Just a little secret–if you open your photos in a photo editing program (like PhotoShop or Gimp), you can remove/adjust the colors (RGB–Red, Green, Blue) one at a time, and it will help bring out the writing so you can read it.

Hope that helps a little.

Michael

• DiapasonDan
    replied
    Congratulations on acquiring this important piece of history! I am also an owner of a Doherty organ. Here is a link to my website about it, if you are curious:

https://dohertyreedorgan.blogspot.co...organ.html?m=1

It sounds like you are new to reed organs. If you haven't already, I suggest reading an introduction to the topic at this page:

https://www.reedsoc.org/index.php/in...d-organ-repair

It has been a fun learning curve for me. Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Cheers,
    Dan

Leave a comment:

• Organfella
    replied
    Whatever the exact date, this one is old - and in pristine condition for its age. Besides this it would appear to be a rare example so please take care of it (I suspect this comment is quite unnecessary) for the next generation's sake. If I had any, I would give eyeteeth to be able to just ogle that one in person. One almost feels hesitant to touch something that precious.
    I own a two-manual pressure church reed organ that was made in 1880. The cabinet is made from lightish oak but it is nowhere near as nice looking as yours.
    Enjoy - and thanks for sharing this wonderful experience!
    Nico

Leave a comment:

• Bokor
    replied
    Rodney,

Yes, it does look like 2 8's and right above that looks like the Rische name. Perhaps it was serviced at that time? I did another thorough look inside and did not find any serial numbers, but I did find more '652' stampings in the edges of some boards.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent! My vote would be for Sept 28th, 1880. Although this does seem that the number 680 does not coincide with that year, Gellerman database claims they were making 100 organs per month in 1879. Maybe it was serviced and repaired that date...

• Bokor
    replied
    I just opened it up again and found some writing on the keys, but it's hard to read. I can see a date maybe 1880 or 1890? Here's a few different shotsClick image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	84
Size:	813.5 KB
ID:	744087
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, Bokor, and I'm glad you're part of the group. Don't forget about us! You made a nice find. Perhaps when the kids get older it'll be a nice father/child project.

Michael

• Bokor
    replied
    I've been out of town for work lately so I haven't made any progress since my last post here. And I just received a Le Sage piano now from work, but that one is in great shape, playable without being cautious, and will be used as a beginner piano for my kids. I will check back and update when I can about the organ.

Leave a comment:

• Bokor
    commented on 's reply
    quirky ain't it

• Bokor
    commented on 's reply
    That's mind blowing, thanks for the information. I appreciate the reply, and as I continue with the TLC, I will be checking for anything that resembles some sort of clue. I will also get those stopper pictures to you asap.

• Bokor
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. The craftsmanship of it is the main thing that caught my eye. I love history, especially hand crafted things.

• edkennedy
    replied
    I don't know if it was on purpose or an accident, but I noticed you used "Airloom" instead of "Heirloom" on the title. Very fitting for an air powered pump organ.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney
    replied
    That's a nice early example from Doherty, it could be the earliest example on record - I'm thinking pre 1880, especially if the number 680 is the serial number, which would lead it to 1876 to 1879.

Take care of this instrument, and watch closely for any dates on the keyboard as it could help answer a lot of missing history on Doherty with the earlier organs that they made.

Mason & Risch were the sellers - Doherty did not sell from the factory and only had one sales person that dealt with the trade.

Good luck!

Rodney

Leave a comment:

• Organfella
    replied
    Bokor, welcome to the mob!
    You have a very nice specimen there - and thanks for sharing the pictures and your experiences with the introduction to reed organs. The case looks very much like the Mason & Hamlins and other references and signs very much reminds of that make. However, many different makes of the era kind of looked alike - just like the first cars looked similar to one another. I particularly like the latch above the treadles (pedals) which no doubt gives access to the treadle straps. Everything on this organ seems to have been ornately finished and nothing plain about the whole instrument. You might do well to continue enjoying it with TLC and it will reward you with a lifetime of thrills!
    When you are ready, lets have some sound clips too!

Nico

Leave a comment:

• Bokor
    commented on 's reply
    They were serious but they were probably having a hard time remembering the mechanics, as the last time they seen a pump played was back in the 60s. But that's very interesting and I think that will be the first thing to replace is that Vox Humana. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.
Working...
X