No announcement yet.

W. Bell 1895 Reed Organ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are careful and have prepared, painted and otherwise finished your new stop heads, you may place the stop faces into the new heads and pour the resin directly into them. That way will save a few steps as well.
    Please let us know how you get on. Thanks
    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Larason,

I was going to recommend card stock for printing the stop faces, but it appears you already have a solution. I am personally using the Diploma TTF and add it to every computer I use for the purposes I use the computers.

To cut out the stop faces, may I recommend curved scissors?😉

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Thanks everyone for their input!

I did a bit of work on these yesterday. The drill bit worked after making a wooden guide to keep it in place, but the resulting disc was a bit too small! As a result, I used the wooden guide to draw the circle, and I cut it out with my Dremel. Then I sanded the edges with sandpaper, and used the Dremel with a sanding belt to thin it to size. To make the stop face more matte, I rubbed it a small amount on some 600 grit sandpaper I have. The disc turned out very well! However, I practiced free handing trying to replicate the typeface, and it's not as easy as it looks! So I'm going to try printing it, and transferring the label using carbon paper, then try painting over that. The acrylic is quite a bit whiter than the original stop faces! So I would have to do this for all the stops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51827042295_ce66287db8_b.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	790908

Best Canvas has completed my order, but there has been a snag in shipping, so haven't received it yet. I printed them off in bony white, but I also tried my hand at trying to replicate the original patina using photoshop for the background. The one I ordered was in white, but depending how it turns out, I may order it in Patina instead! It's funny, Best Canvas also wants me to order a number of other items with the same image. Gifts for the pump organ lover among you?

I took a look at the Diploma font. It is very close! I bought mine from Myfonts. I probably shouldn't have paid so much, but it's too late for that. Here is the link for the one I bought:

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/mti/atwedding-text/

Here is what the stop faces look like in this font with the "aged" backgrounds.

I also like Nico's idea of the epoxy + paper. Next time I'm at the hardware store I'm going to buy some of that epoxy.

Current: Allen 225 RTC, W. Bell reed organ, Lowrey TGS, Singer upright grand
        Former: Yamaha E3R
        https://www.exercisesincatholicmythology.com

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan
          Super Moderator
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Try soaking a sample of the acryllic for the stop faces in black tea or coffee to see if that will age them a little. After all, the organ is an antique–why not the stop faces? If they age too much, you can use whitening toothpaste to remove some of the stains.

Michael

Nice faces! And good going!Thanks for the update.
        Nico
        "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Working...
        X