Were there electric pump organs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were there electric pump organs?

First things first. Thank you for allowing me to join this forum.
    I purchased this Baldwin yesterday and noticed the pedals do not pivot but are foot rests and there was at one time an electric blower mounted inside it.
    The switch for the blower is mounted inside the upper storage area and appears to be a factory job. So was this a factory set up or one very well done modifition by someone?

Thanks,
    Chuck

Chuck,

Welcome to the Forum! I hope you continue participating here for years to come.
    Originally posted by ChuckMcB View Post
    I purchased this Baldwin yesterday and noticed the pedals do not pivot but are foot rests and there was at one time an electric blower mounted inside it.
    The switch for the blower is mounted inside the upper storage area and appears to be a factory job. So was this a factory set up or one very well done modifition by someone?
    First thing–your organ appears to be a Kimball, not a Baldwin as you stated. At least, that's what the picture showed.

Not knowing the model you have, from the looks alone, it appears the organ was originally pedal-powered. There was a period of time where rather than repairing bellows, people would electrify their pump organs to provide an even supply of suction. There were people who converted organs professionally, but there were also ones who electrified on their own with varying results. It looks like you may have gotten one of the professional ones.

I suspect the pedals were somehow blocked so they wouldn't move out of position once the electrification was made. I'm sure it can be reversed, but you'll just need to delve inside to see what needs to be reversed.

Let me recommend that you take plenty of pictures! Often you might not be able to see something clearly inside the console, but a photo can be enlarged so you can see minute detail not otherwise visible to the naked eye. It also documents your progress.

Best of luck with getting the organ going again, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Michael

P.S. I hope you weathered the tornados OK. You're located just 10 miles northwest of my uncle on 280! Have you ever heard of the Wetumpka Pump Organ Museum? That's one of the places that gave me a love of pump organs.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, I forgot to mention that there were actually pump organs which used electrical pickups inside the organs, as well as other applications of electrical pickups or amplification. Estey and other vendors manufactured such organs.

Michael

I was carrying on a discussion with a coworker and she mentioned Baldwin while I was typing my post..the power of suggestion! Thank you for correcting me.

Comment

We were fortunate to be spared from the tornadoes.
      my wife and I will plan a trip to Wetumpka. I didn't know a museum was located there.

Comment

Working...
      X