Crown Reed Organ Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown Reed Organ Restoration

Hey everyone. Well, I've got the stop action and keyboard bed removed from the organ. While waiting for the Hide glue to arrive, I thought I'd work on aligning key spaces, side by side spaces and clean these very yellow and dirty keys.

Also, I have noticed the case seems to be separated a little bit on one side, I'll have to clamp and glue it to put it back together.

I'm having a bit of trouble sourcing the right thickness of felts. I know I will need many and different sizes. Where do you all buy them from?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by myorgan; 06-30-2024, 10:04 AM. Reason: Changed title at OP request.

This thread is a continuation of the previous thread here: https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...w-to-the-group

Michael

P.S. Josh, I might recommend keeping the remainder of your posts regarding this organ in this same thread. Since this is an Organ Forum, you could make the title of your thread a bit more descriptive–for example, Crown Organ Repair Update. Just a couple of suggestions to consider.
    Last edited by myorgan; 05-28-2024, 07:40 PM. Reason: Add P.S.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Ok. No problem. I wasn't sure about that. Thanks.

Comment

Felt is a tricky one. If you go to a local fabric store, you'll find some felt, but it is usually a polyester variety that doesn't hide glue well. You can do it, but you need loads of hide glue and lots of pressure, which is a bit annoying, and it's not original. For thick felt, you can find a local piano shop and buy one of the rolls of felt they use for piano tuning. That's what I did, and its the perfect color. For thin felt, I bought some red (I think 1 mm) felt from a craft supplier online, but you may have some success at a local craft store that isn't a big box type like Michaels. They sell wool felt, but at least locally, it's not sold in store, and you can't find the classic colour easily. Still, last time mine was restored, they used grey, green and black! They also used some synthetic glues instead of hide glue to glue it, which was very annoying to remove.

Current: Allen 225 RTC, W. Bell reed organ, Lowrey TGS, Singer upright grand
        Former: Yamaha E3R
        https://www.exercisesincatholicmythology.com

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Larason2,

So I'm guessing you prefer wool felt? Is that because it maintains its integrity in spite of humidity changes?

Michael

• Larason2
          Larason2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I do, but its mostly because it's easier to work with, and is more compatible with hide glue.

Thanks for the input. I will have to try and look for an online craft supplier as you did. I'm really looking for wool felt. Especially living in Louisiana, I think it would be best. I also plan to use hide glue. I might be trying to get too precise with the felt. Just on the key bed and keys alone I have measured four different thickness with my micrometer. I understand also that felt compacts with wear.

I use a certain company when I need felts for pianos, but sizing these thickness is, as you said, trickier.

Comment

• Larason2
          Larason2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Its true they used different thicknesses, and there's more compression, but you can probably get away with only two, thick felt for most things, thin felt for all the thin felt looking things. For instance, the lining of the mutes. The beauty of hide glue is you can always add more layers! For really tricky spots, you can felt two pieces of felt together using one of those felter needle gadgets.

Ah. That's such a relief. I hadn't considered attaching two felts together. I think I've sourced some quality felt online. Thank you for the advice!

Comment

Well, I've got the keybed and stop action complete. Lot of learning here but so happy with the results. All felts in the stop action have been replaced. And everything cleaned.
          Attached Files

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Great work!!! Thank you for sharing it with us here on the Forum. I wish I had the patience for what you accomplished.

I look forward to future updates.

Michael

Looks great! Did you use the 40 vol trick on the keys, or did you find some other trick to get them to look so good?

Comment

Thanks!! I will definitely keep you updated on how it's going. I'm loving the process so far, but I'm kinda scared of those bellows.

I watched a Bill Ooms video on YouTube where he uses 600 grit sandpaper then novus three step plastic polish then I buffing with maguiar's cleaner wax. Whew. It's been labor intensive, but I like it. What is the 40 vol trick?

Comment

Ah, the 40 vol trick is where you brush 40 vol developer (used to dye hair) on the keys, then leave them in the sun or under a UV lamp. Gets them that white with a lot less elbow grease! However, you have to wait longer, several hours if it's the sun. You also have to be careful, because the 40 vol has peroxide and it's corrosive (you have to rinse them under a lot of water after, and wear gloves while using). 40 vol is easy to get wherever hair dyeing products are sold, but it expires fairly fast if all you're using it for is whitening keys.

Comment

That's good to know. I'll try that next time. Thanks.

Comment

Organ update: late June. Some before and afters. All pitman felts have been replaced, cleaned with 0000 steel wool then light application of graphite. The cardboard material on the vox humana has been replaced. And the couplers were completely disassembled, rust removed, polished, felts replaced, hinges and hinge covering replaced. Whew.

(Also, I tried to change the name of the original post to encompass the full organ restoration, but I don't see a way to change it.)
                  Attached Files

Comment

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Congratulations on the good work you've already done! Any chance you'd like to travel and do some of my 12+ reed organs?😉

Let me know what you want to have as a title of the thread, and I'll change it for you. After the first 24 hours, only a Moderator can change a title or post.

Michael

Thanks! We'll, it's been pretty enjoyable so far, so if all goes well, I wouldn't be opposed to doing another one down the line. Wow, 12 organs, that's great.

Maybe we can call it: Crown Reed Organ Restoration. Thanks.

Comment

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Changed as requested.

Michael

Good work, the coupler board looks amazing!

Comment

Working...
                  X