Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Organs incidentally shown or heard in media

Now here's something pretty fine -- 1947's The Private Affairs of Bel Ami. Like the pianistic Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), it stars George Sanders and Angela Lansbury and was directed by Albert Lewin, but it's organ and violin this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ie1k7Dy7y8

Early on, the minor character of Norbert de Varenne (among many others) is introduced -- "the blind composer" who is also organist of Notre-Dame de Paris. He's played by David Bond, who doesn't resemble our Vierne, but is seen accompanying his wife on violin -- Vierne accompanied his on tour, singer Madeleine Richepin. The film is set in 1880 Paris, the high French Romantic era, when one Eugène Sergent was titulaire at Notre-Dame. French Wikipedia's stub on him doesn't mention any blindness (just for the sake of fanaticism here).

The fun part is where de Varenne is seen playing a console mockup in a Notre Dame mockup -- starts at 101:29. It's lovely music that sounds not a little Cavaille-Collish, and the scene, like the movie, manages to be very evocative and un-Hollywoodian in spite of the obvious limitations.

OMG, can't believe no one has mentioned 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! Captain Nemo famously had a pipe organ in his submarine!! Been too long...can't remember what music was played. I'm thinking Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d minor, but maybe not. Someone help???

Earlier, someone mentioned the film, Arthur, and the wedding scenes, near the end of the movie. That was done in St. Bartholomew's, NYC, and there is a quick scene with Jack Ossewaarde himself (R.I.P.) at the big 5-manual Aeolian-Skinner console. Jack was, of course, the organist/choirmaster there at that time.

Thanks for those. Wikip says yes on the T&FiDm, and "Disneyland used the original sets as a walk-through attraction from 1955 to 1966. Walt Disney World Resort's Magic Kingdom also had a dark ride named 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Submarine Voyage from 1971 to 1994 which consisted of a submarine ride, complete with the giant squid attack, and an arrangement of the main theme from the 1954 film playing on Captain Nemo's organ in the background."

Sounds like you knew "Jack" -- any good anecdotes to relate? I like his short anthem Draw Us In The Spirit's Tether -- maybe more than Friedell's similar but far better-known one.

I heard one of the great English choirs perform at St. Bart's ages ago. The organist played a great longer solo by Boëllmann -- gotta find that program.

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    Leisesturm,

Could you name a couple of the actors in the version you have? That will help narrow down the version you're talking about (there have been 2 or 3). You could even go to IMDB (Internet Movie Database) and provide a link to the movie there.

As I'm sure you know, PAL (25 fps) has been the video standard in Europe, but NTSC (29.97 fps) has been the video standard in the US (currently being replaced by HD standards). I'm not sure, but I think the European standards are being replaced as well. Most computers only allow a limited number of Region changes before being stuck on the last one you chose. Hopefully, the new standards will become interoperable sooner rather than later.

Hope we can discover the piece for you.

Michael
    Well I certainly don't know but MIL thinks it would have been the most recent one with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    Well I certainly don't know but MIL thinks it would have been the most recent one with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway.
    Leisesturm,

If you follow this link (https://www.imdb.com/find?q=Les%20Mi...f_=fn_al_tt_ex), you'll understand why I ask which version. Narrowing it down to the 2012 version is very helpful! Now, on to the hunt!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

The otherwise forgettable 1966 movie "Modesty Blaise" has a pipe organ played for a few minutes as the characters climb up to a villa atop an island. This is one lousy movie, but it's not lousy cute, just lousy.
    -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
    -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
    -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Sleuth, 1972: looks like a little portable reed organ briefly at 28:52 and 1:16:26. Not played, alas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPEgcbMi_Ig

Anybody familiar with this film or play, please PM me for a quick off-topic question.

I can't believe nobody has yet mentioned the organ music at the end of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". It sounds like a small cheap home organ.
    Ed Kennedy
    Current Organ - Conn 645 Theater

Hitchcock's 1940 masterpiece Rebecca has an unusually organistic score -- but only for negative effects, e.g. queasy and sordid moods. Whatever electronic-sounding org was used is a mystery. Doesn't sound much like a Hammond, but they were marketed from 1935 and probably all the rage. Guessing it was an amplified reed instrument e.g. the Everett Orgatron. The whole wonderful flick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ry2aSwBqX0

Wow, here's a good page on our subject -- mentions only another Rebecca, though:

http://theatreorgans.com/movies.htm

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast