Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun question

Fun question

While I was listening to some of my favorite organ music I was again reminded of the well deserved (unofficial) title of the majestic pipe organ as the King of Instruments. Now while I unashamedly worship that King with total abandon I suddenly found myself wondering which instrument the Queen of Instruments would be. Then I got to thinking (which is rare) about the beautiful recorded and treasured music in my ample collection of piano players of fame, kinda leaning towards that particular instrument to nominate for the Queen title. Then my single-cell brain worked overtime and I was reminded of other instruments which may well fall into contention - harp, violin, etc.... After a while and with an overheated brain I stopped and decided to post this fun question here.

Shall we have a poll?

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

I'd definitely vote "piano" as it is certainly the most versatile and beloved musical instrument outside the organ. If anyone has actually called the piano the "queen" I don't remember reading it, but it would seem a fitting title.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Nico,

I think perhaps I would consider the violin or oboe as queen--acidic or an acquired taste when alone, but when treated right, absolutely beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Organfella View Post
    Shall we have a poll?
    Sure! Allow fill-ins.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

That made me laugh out loud, Michael!
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Harpsichord?

OK, my two-cell brain has cooled off somewhat and I am thinking again - bagpipes? Cello? Trouble with some of these is that they need accompaniment to come to their fullest where to my limited knowledge it leaves only the organ really that can sustain itself with all kinds of complimentary sounds. So, where does that leave us? Shall we resign ourselves to the fact that there will be only a king reigning supreme for eternity?

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

I would think that the only instrument that comes close to matching the organ's versatility would be the piano, and even then it's a distant second. Heck, some theater organs include a piano! Now, my favorite instrument that needs friends (i.e. accompaniment) would probably be the cello. It adds a lot more to an ensemble than you would think for a single instrument.

Perhaps we should allow our king to be a polygamist then? . That would be fun!
    Nico

Quote Originally Posted by Organfella View Post
    Perhaps we should allow our king to be a polygamist then? . That would be fun!
    Nico,

I guess I'd expect something like that from Cape Town. Must be the water there.

Seriously, when you think about it, there aren't many instruments that can sustain a solo performance for any length of time other than the organ and piano. Most instruments require other instruments to accompany while they play. Let's see, instruments that can play by themselves and harmonize with themselves would be:
    • Organ (the King, of course)
    • Pump/Reed Organ
    • Piano
    • Harpsichord
    • Harp
    • Accordion
    • Bagpipes(?)

What have I missed?

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    What have I missed?Michael
    Acoustic guitar, flamenco, classical pieces ...
    1966 C-3 / 925
    1965 M102 / 145
    1967 M111A / 330

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast