Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About to buy an M-3 - wise warnings?

Thanks very much for all your help so far. Moving forward!

Scott,

You may be interested, that according to your serial number and the Tonewheel General Hospital chart, you organ was made in 1960. You can confirm. That means that this is 57 years old. And if you keep going, you will love the sound.
    1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Crazy. Such a quality instrument. Can't wait to hear her. Ill confirm, thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.
    Hi Scott - I'm so pleased that oiling the start motor bearings got it running. You said "de-greaser" a couple of times in your video; what did you use? For what it's worth, WD-40 is a pretty fair penetrant, a good moisture displacer, but not the best lubricant. When you get the Hammond Oil, put some of it directly on those start motor bearings to hopefully displace the other stuff (WD-40, de-greaser, etc.).

That generator sounds like it's bone dry. You wondered how much oil? ...
    The typical "correct" amount is to fill those metal funnels on top of that hardboard cover just once for each service interval. Those steel cups line up with the brass funnels when the cover is installed. But I suspect it's going to take several applications to get this one right... and it will take TIME ! Just like the start motor, those generator bearings need to get saturated, but to do that, all of those very dry oil wick threads will have to get soaked, too. For that to happen, you may have to apply generator oil several times and give it as much as a couple of weeks or more to start reaching those bearings. Please be patient. The many, many generator bearings can be lubricated directly and individually, but there are some caveats with the procedure and you might damage some of the delicate wiring and wick threads if you're not sure of what you're doing. For that reason, I'd suggest we let the "time to soak" do the job instead. In the meantime, perhaps we can do some preliminary investigation into why it's not playing.

I like your plan to pull the tubes and clean the contacts. CAUTIONS: On many older tubes, it's easy to wipe the designations off of them. Don't do that. Also, be very, very careful to get the correct tubes in their correct sockets when replacing. Have you downloaded the M-3 service manual? If not, please do that; it will be a great resource. Perhaps you can read it whilst waiting for that Hammond Generator Oil to arrive and to soak in.

It will not hurt the run motor to turn the run switch on (without using the start motor) for a bit to check some things on the AO-29 amplifier. Please do that and see if there's any humming, crackling, frying, etc. is coming from the speaker and let us know. BUT, if there's the least hint of burning smell, very audible buzzing, etc., turn it off immediately. Also, be sure that the wires are indeed connected to the speaker. Try tapping gently on the tubes with a wooden pencil to see if that creates any sound from the speaker.
    Do you have any idea how long it has been since this organ actually played? That's enough for now.
    Cheers !
    Roger Memphis
    C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
    CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Congrats! Rite of passage,the M3 restart! The lungs and heart are working now,we have to turn on the brain/amp! A cleaned up amp will need work,and it's all do-able!
    I have a '60 M3. Pictured here with a 'franken' 45 Leslie that has 760 innards. I keep one around. Main test organ for Leslie refurbs!
    A100/251 A102/222 B2/147 BCV/122 M102/145 M111/145 M3/142 L101/760 L133/760 T212/770 ,147/145/770/HL822
    Nord C2D, Nord Stage II EX88,Yamaha MOX6,Roland JX-8P w/PG800,Roland VR-760,Behringer X32,Yorkville PS1's
    Yorkville powered/unpowered speakers/Soundcraft LX7II-24,A&H MixWiz 16/3,3-Furman PQ-3's,SWR Pro200,Carvin 410HF

Thanks guys.

Roger - I used WD-40 to loosen that up to the point where it is now. I had applied 3n1 earlier as well. Thanks for the talk about oil, getting the manual after this reply. I"l also do some digging around for info on the AO-29 amplifier (thanks for the correct search terms!) I'll post back about what's up with that.

I have no idea how long this sat around. I was part of estate sale that was sold to an antique dealer then to another then to me.

Sweet Pete - rite of passage M3 restart - I love that man. Made me smile. Your rig looks great. Praying for the day a Leslie comes into my life but gotta get this M3 up to par first I suppose.

Cheers guys, appreciation.

Scott -

Scott -
    Here's a link to Service Manual(s) for M, M-2, M-3 & M-100: https://archive.org/details/HammondO...delsMM2M3M-100
    While it may not ALL make sense, it's worthwhile reading. Somewhere (???) online there's a Service Manual exclusively for the M-3, but I can't
    find it.... sorry. Anyone know, folks? It has better pictures, theory of operation, block diagrams, etc. Maybe a link will turn up from a member. I hope.
    Meanwhile, take a look at this one. BTW, does your M-3 have 2 wires or 4 going from the AO-29 to the speaker?
    Roger Memphis
    C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
    CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Thanks mate.

It has 2 wires going to speaker.

Edit: Just spoke with my 'local' Hammond expert and he believes to have a lead on a Leslie. He recommends a 122 or 147 & the kit - not sure if he has a lead on a 122 but we'll talk again soon. Ordered some Hammond Oil (and Leslie Oil) in good faith.
    Last edited by ScottGirvan; 04-16-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    Aboard the Rite of Passage M3 Restart

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGirvan View Post
    Thanks mate.

It has 2 wires going to speaker.

Edit: Just spoke with my 'local' Hammond expert and he believes to have a lead on a Leslie. He recommends a 122 or 147 & the kit - not sure if he has a lead on a 122 but we'll talk again soon. Ordered some Hammond Oil (and Leslie Oil) in good faith.
    For an M-3, go with a 147 or 145! The balanced models (122, 142, 22H, 21H)... are much more difficult to hook up to the M-series and there's no practical gain in using one either.
    Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
    Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV

Great. If I have options I'll know. Thanks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast